Do you still own floppy discs?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
fazalkhan111

Re: Do you still own floppy discs?

Post by fazalkhan111 »

my father has one till now :)

Orel

Post by Orel »

My father uses them but very very rarely)

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

Can I request for this topic to get locked? People keep posting in here past 90 days.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

Aaaaaa nuuu cheeki breeki i v damke!
mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

DanielOosterhuis
Donator

Post by DanielOosterhuis »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:Can I request for this topic to get locked? People keep posting in here past 90 days.
Why have it closed when people are still answering the question asked by OP? And why are you asking, are you doing that on behalf of the OP?
MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
MTA: 98-349, 98-365

bingohuanj
FTP Access

Post by bingohuanj »

There're a few 3 1/2’’ floopy discs in my home and recently I tested them.
ONLY TWO of all can be read or written properly :(

Tripcreator
FTP Access

Post by Tripcreator »

also happened to my floppys stored them in the attic and yeah almost none of them reads anymore :/
need to get another drive to test but doesn´t look good

JustZisGuy
FTP Access

Post by JustZisGuy »

Attics, grages or anywhere with exessive dust and heat will damage floppy disks. Disks that have been stored in a clean cool dry environment will usually still be readable. Sometimes cleaning a disks surface with water or isopropyal alchohol may improve your chances of reading the disks. Also, when dealing with poorly stored disks, a drive head cleaning disk is a must.

Tripcreator
FTP Access

Post by Tripcreator »

thanks for the tip never thought of cleaning with iso but will try. are there some specific drives recommended which deal better with aged floppys?

JustZisGuy
FTP Access

Post by JustZisGuy »

There are no specific drive recommendations for "aged" floppies. Gunk on the disk surface or oxide shedding will occur the same no matter what drive is used. It is preferable to have a drive that you can easily disassemble so you can directly inspect and clean the head in case it gets too gunked to use a cleaning disk. Also, regular internal floppy drives are generally needed instead of USB (USB can not handle oddball formats and many don't support 720k).

For archiving purposes, Teac drives are usually preferred, but that is more of a quality issue and some ability to better handle non-IBM formats.

abandonwareisthebest

Post by abandonwareisthebest »

I used to own lots of them. But I don't have those anymore. I still have some tho, but not the many I had in the pst. They are still cool tho :cool:

theangel540

Post by theangel540 »

Difficult these days to found 2DD, 3.5" floppies.
I own a lot of High Density and rare Amstrad 3" floppies but ... 2DD are so expensives.

AdamP
FTP Access

Post by AdamP »

I still have a great big pile of them from donkey's years ago. One of these days, I might actually go through them and see if any still have anything useful. I also have some empty ones which I hope to use to create disk images should the need arise.

sunborn
FTP Access

Post by sunborn »

Have them, yes. Have a drive to read them, yes. In both 3.5 and 5.25 versions. Do I use them, I try not to. But I might have a minor hoarding problem with computer things.

Jeeperpretzel

Post by Jeeperpretzel »

I have a whole box full of them

TheKherut

Post by TheKherut »

I've got about 3x 3,5" floppys for a Korg i3 Workstation, containing styles and instruments.
Storage related : Does anyone still remember Sony MiniDiscs? I still own a car radio for that format, somewhere in the basement.
-- Posted by TheKherut --
Preserving makes conscious

Toad974

Post by Toad974 »

5"1/4 : 2400+
3"1/2 : 570+
and a bunch of blank 5"1/4 - 3"1/2 floppies

All are original softwares for PC. I nearly imaged all my stock, i use DiskCopyFast, TeleDisk, SnatchIt+CopyIIPC and an CentralPoint Deluxe OptionBoard.
Somes are very old : i bumped into a weird DataBase program that run under UCSD p-System (SPI LOGIQUEST III Version A3.01)
It only works on real IBM PC 5150 or compatibles with a genuine 5150 BIOS.

I know, i'm insane... :P

As, i'm new here, i will try to upload soon (tm), but i don't own a KryoFlux and i will have to convert images to WinImage format.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Toad974 wrote:As, i'm new here, i will try to upload soon (tm), but i don't own a KryoFlux and i will have to convert images to WinImage format.
You don't need to do any conversions at all, you can send them as they are as long as you make it clear what format they are in. Just be sure the labels and the titles are properly named and it will be fine. The community can help out with the conversion too if needed.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Storm
FTP Access

Post by Storm »

I still have some 3.5" and 5.25" disks, but no way to read them. Don't know if the data has been lost on them.

Solid-Head

Post by Solid-Head »

I still have some zip drive somewhere in a box.

JohnyWalter

Post by JohnyWalter »

In the UK construction history, there has been a legal need for a document called the Health and Saftey file since 1994. As part of my role, I have responsibility for all the H&S files for the structures we own (approximately 150 of them). For ease of access and a backup, I have been going through them to digitise them. Many have some parts of the file saved on floppy disks, so I have bought an external floppy disk reader and am backing them up onto our central server.

maomaosifangcai

Post by maomaosifangcai »

I still have some floppys for old games and softwares. Most of them are from my parents who bought them over 10 years ago.

zen1605

Post by zen1605 »

I actually still have some "MS Report Bug Reporting Utility for ______<Insert BETA Program here>" floppies. I don't have a floppy disk to rip them with though. Will have to see about getting one.

andrian1994
FTP Access

Post by andrian1994 »

I have copies of windows 95 floppy disks

Sent from my Redmi 6 using Tapatalk

“Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

wavemaster76
FTP Access

Post by wavemaster76 »

I owned some floppies last year. But my new computer has no way to insert them so I gave them away. These days I use whether DVDs or Flash Drives to Transport data.

JustZisGuy
FTP Access

Post by JustZisGuy »

I've got piles of floppies. I have a pile of about 40 or so 5.25" disks and a holder full of 3.5" disks sitting next to me. A few dozen holders full of 5.25" and 3.5" disks stacked up in the other room, and more stuffed away along with some 8" disks.

Floppies!

-
Sent from Microsoft Windows 95