BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 18d, 16h, 42m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 5370MB of 11804MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:52 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1
my father has one till now :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 10
My father uses them but very very rarely)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:48 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
Can I request for this topic to get locked? People keep posting in here past 90 days.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
Can I request for this topic to get locked? People keep posting in here past 90 days.

Why have it closed when people are still answering the question asked by OP? And why are you asking, are you doing that on behalf of the OP?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
There're a few 3 1/2’’ floopy discs in my home and recently I tested them.
ONLY TWO of all can be read or written properly :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
also happened to my floppys stored them in the attic and yeah almost none of them reads anymore :/
need to get another drive to test but doesn´t look good

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
Attics, grages or anywhere with exessive dust and heat will damage floppy disks. Disks that have been stored in a clean cool dry environment will usually still be readable. Sometimes cleaning a disks surface with water or isopropyal alchohol may improve your chances of reading the disks. Also, when dealing with poorly stored disks, a drive head cleaning disk is a must.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
thanks for the tip never thought of cleaning with iso but will try. are there some specific drives recommended which deal better with aged floppys?

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
There are no specific drive recommendations for "aged" floppies. Gunk on the disk surface or oxide shedding will occur the same no matter what drive is used. It is preferable to have a drive that you can easily disassemble so you can directly inspect and clean the head in case it gets too gunked to use a cleaning disk. Also, regular internal floppy drives are generally needed instead of USB (USB can not handle oddball formats and many don't support 720k).

For archiving purposes, Teac drives are usually preferred, but that is more of a quality issue and some ability to better handle non-IBM formats.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:53 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I used to own lots of them. But I don't have those anymore. I still have some tho, but not the many I had in the pst. They are still cool tho :cool:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:20 pm 

Favourite OS
IRIX
Difficult these days to found 2DD, 3.5" floppies.
I own a lot of High Density and rare Amstrad 3" floppies but ... 2DD are so expensives.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:15 am 
FTP Access

I still have a great big pile of them from donkey's years ago. One of these days, I might actually go through them and see if any still have anything useful. I also have some empty ones which I hope to use to create disk images should the need arise.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
Have them, yes. Have a drive to read them, yes. In both 3.5 and 5.25 versions. Do I use them, I try not to. But I might have a minor hoarding problem with computer things.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:44 pm 

I have a whole box full of them

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:38 pm 

Favourite OS
5.1.2600 SP2
I've got about 3x 3,5" floppys for a Korg i3 Workstation, containing styles and instruments.
Storage related : Does anyone still remember Sony MiniDiscs? I still own a car radio for that format, somewhere in the basement.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:21 pm 

5"1/4 : 2400+
3"1/2 : 570+
and a bunch of blank 5"1/4 - 3"1/2 floppies

All are original softwares for PC. I nearly imaged all my stock, i use DiskCopyFast, TeleDisk, SnatchIt+CopyIIPC and an CentralPoint Deluxe OptionBoard.
Somes are very old : i bumped into a weird DataBase program that run under UCSD p-System (SPI LOGIQUEST III Version A3.01)
It only works on real IBM PC 5150 or compatibles with a genuine 5150 BIOS.

I know, i'm insane... :P

As, i'm new here, i will try to upload soon (tm), but i don't own a KryoFlux and i will have to convert images to WinImage format.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:33 pm 
Administrator

Toad974 wrote:
As, i'm new here, i will try to upload soon (tm), but i don't own a KryoFlux and i will have to convert images to WinImage format.

You don't need to do any conversions at all, you can send them as they are as long as you make it clear what format they are in. Just be sure the labels and the titles are properly named and it will be fine. The community can help out with the conversion too if needed.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000 SP4
I still have some 3.5" and 5.25" disks, but no way to read them. Don't know if the data has been lost on them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:53 am 

Favourite OS
Win7
I still have some zip drive somewhere in a box.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:45 pm 

Favourite OS
E.G. 6001
In the UK construction history, there has been a legal need for a document called the Health and Saftey file since 1994. As part of my role, I have responsibility for all the H&S files for the structures we own (approximately 150 of them). For ease of access and a backup, I have been going through them to digitise them. Many have some parts of the file saved on floppy disks, so I have bought an external floppy disk reader and am backing them up onto our central server.

Top  Profile