BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 4h, 50m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 5792MB of 12271MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:29 pm 

I have several boxes of 3.5 inch floppies and a few 5.25 inch ones. Also, some ZIP Disks .. if that counts ^^.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
I found a box of new old stock unformatted 3.5 inch floppies that seem to have been intended for commercial distribution, as the disks themselves are identical to several games I own. I also have 10 or more pieces of software in box on Floppy, and hope to rebuild a collection of lost loose floppies from years past.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE
I have several still working ones knocking around for my 486 containing drivers etc, alongside the original DOS install disks and copies of the same. The rest of mine have unfortunately succumbed to damp and mould.

Like RetroBunny, I've also got some ZIPs around, but no working drive so it's unknown if they work or not.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
UHU-Linux 3
I also have some floppies. I have different Turbo Pascal versions on them, mostly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:33 am 

Favourite OS
I have one of this very big floppy disc of Lemmings. I haven't try it in an actual computer for years though.

I also have the manual for Lemmings, it's lovely

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 pm 
Administrator

I have tons of them. And I want to get rid of them all. All of it has been archived and scanned for BA and now it's taking up space. Will put them up for exchange for other titles, or sell it to a collector. And if that fails, donate them to collectors. Better for them to end up with someone that cares for it and don't let it rot in an attic somewhere.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:01 am 

Favourite OS
950C, 2195 USP5.1, 3790, 7600
I have about 20 3.5" data floppy disks that I received a few years back in a special floppy disk container complete with dividers. Many are no longer readable.

One of the few readable ones has files dated August 5, 1988.

Quicken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 pm 

Way more than I'd realized.
A member from here asked if I was willing to ship them to him so he could archive them, I dug out all the easily accessible boxes, the real old stuff boxed with manuals is too much work to dig out for now.
When I quoted him what I thought I had in weight, I was dreaming, I said 50 odd Kgs, it'd be double that, over 20 years of collecting this crap..
Unfortunately the collector that purchased most of my CD collection a few years back cringed at the floppy collection.
A minimum 0f 95 percent of this load is genuine, a lot of it still bagged / boxed.

White plastic boxes on the far left are all genuine boot floppies, top left one is open, far bottom right are all OEM dos, just in from that are all genuine PC-Dos, including betas, red plastic box top right is all operating systems & office / apps, all MS.
Everything else is just apps of various descriptions.
I have a lot of boxed apps of Borland, Dbase , Lotus & more that's too hard to get at atm.
In the back row, there's boxes on top of boxes, all packed full.

Some of it's old.

I have a good collection of 3-1/2 & 5-1/4 floppy drives too, just need to purchase a kryoflux.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:31 pm 

I just have a few disks, but that's about it. Heck, I don't even have a way to read them!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 pm 

is there a easy way to recover file from them if they have been sitting forever. i have about 35 that are msdos/windows related that i found guring garage sale junk boxes. couldnt get them to show up though

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
bogie67 wrote:
is there a easy way to recover file from them if they have been sitting forever.

Your best bet is to send the disks to someone with a bit of experience recovering disks and some tools like a Kryoflux or SuperCard Pro.

Poorly stored floppy disks may have a layer of residue on the magnetic surface that can rip the disk apart and foul a drive if they are just plopped in to a floppy drive. There are ways to clean them but it can be tricky.

Also unknown floppy disks may not be in the format you expect or copy protected. In those cases, a Kryoflux can usually fully dump the contents.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
ofcourse - I mainly buy old pc games and when there is a choice of CD or floppies I go for the floppy version...
It just feels better to install something old in an old pc the correct way :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 pm 

I do have some floppy discs in the basement in a drawer somewhere. I think they are all unused.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:50 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Me (3000)
I think I have a few Windows floppy disks lying around somewhere

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 am 

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3
I do! I have a few cases of 3.5", one of them unopened. I also have some 5.25" floppies. I need a 5.25" reader, any recommendations? I already have an external 3.5" reader.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:23 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE (4.10.2222b)
I have double sided 3½" HD Floppy diskettes (just 5 of them) and a ton of regular high densities. I also have Windows Installation diskettes and a 250MB Zip Disk but I do need a double sided reader tho. Hope i can find a USB reader on ebay for cheap.

https://sparrosdeveloperteam.github.io/COS

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:00 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 3.11
I still have a couple of boxes of floppies as well as a nice USB Sony floppy drive! I use them with a 486 DX2 66 and a Pentium 200 MMX machine. Sometimes I will load games from them in Dos Box on my Galaxy s10 just because I can lol.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP
A while ago i got some floppy disks from a friend who gave them to me. One of the floppies is for an internet network setup thing, and some others were for installing windows 3.0

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP
Here is an image of the network one:

It was made in 1999, even though by then Im pretty sure most people had switched to cd-roms.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:59 pm 

I've got a couple of 3.5 floppies around at my parents' house, they were left there after I moved out.
Now, the real question is to know whether I still have something to read them...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:20 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I also have a couple of Floppy disk I purchased from ebay. I use them on my old Compaq with Windows 98.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:48 pm 
FTP Access

I don't have many floppies now that are readable. I imaged most of them back in the day, but regrettably I did not have access to hardware that could read protected disks, so many were just lost. I also have about a couple dozen ZIP disks with miscellaneous files. I still got the ZIP drive somewhere; I'm fairly sure these are readable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:30 pm 
FTP Access

I've got a bunch of 3 1/2" ones and I found some old 5 1/4" dos discs in the attic, not sure if it was complete though...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 pm 

Favourite OS
win98SE
Hi Newbie here.
This site was recommended to me so I guess my reason for signing up.
I love old retro computers particularly Commodore 8 and 16 bit ...but also have a passion for older PCs.
XP ..and older
..all the way back to DOS
I recently built a dual floppy drive Kryoflux unit and also have a supercard plus.
I'm currently working through a lot of 3.5" and 5.25 inch disks ..mostly full of personal stuff I have built up over the years.
But I also have a few Big Box Games.
Sadly time has not been kind to these...and now I have the means to archive them.
..but bit rot has affected them all to some degree.
I was pointed at this forum with a view to filling in the blanks.
IE the floppies I cannot recover.
So I'm hoping to get access to floppy images if I can.
Strangley the older the floppy disk the better they have lasted.
For example I have a boxed copy of Leisure Suit Larry III on 5.25 inch floppies which installed just fine on an old PC running a DOS window in win95.
I've copied the disks and zipped them up to hopefully upload to the archive.
Is this the kind of thing wanted here ?
If so please could someone advise me how this is done ?
I also have DOS Boxed floppies of System Shock on 3.5" floppies (9) of which disk 8 is unreadable.
Also Monkey Island 1 on 3x 3.5" floppies but again ..I have 1 disk (disk 1) which cannot be recovered.
and Monkey Island 2 le chucks Revenge ..all 5 of these floppies have errors.
So I can only conclude that older floppies are more durable and less prone to magnetic flux decay.
Anyway..thats my story.
best regards to all.
VS

Last edited by ViperSan on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Do you still own floppy discs?        Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 pm 
Administrator

I've dropped you a PM with more info.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW