BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 7h, 35m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 5658MB of 10881MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.x
So, after a long long downtime where I've unfortunately fallen victim the the disease called laziness, I've managed to somewhat finish up my Knowledge Base archive.

It contains 213,031 articles spanning the whole time period from the beginning until ~the end of 2007.

Right now everything is pretty haphazard, all files are lumped in one huge folder (have fun with Windows Explorer...) and there's no categories or other useful searching hints. My long-term plan is to actually unify all the KB articles (right now they're all differently formatted and then there's txt vs. htm files) and eventually, combine everything into one HTML Help file, if feasible (I haven't actually checked).

The problem is, the archive is about 150 MB compressed (1.05 GB uncompressed) and I don't have any way to upload files of that size. So I'd be grateful if anyone could point me to such a location or download the file from me and upload it themselves.

I'm actually really disappointed because there are still huge gaps, that is because the good sources haven't been dumped yet. Microsoft TechNet publishes (or used to publish?) the entire Knowledge Base monthly as part of their TechNet Monthly Issues. We don't have these yet except for three CDs from ~1998/99. If they could somehow be found and dumped, it would be a great asset and close some glaring gaps in the collection.

This whole thing has been the result of about two months of continuous work (excluding the downtime where I did absolutely nothing) and I really don't want this to rot on my hard drive, so I really want to get this published somehow...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Nashville 999 / Neptune 5111
nice. have you tried file hosting websites like rapidgator. I would definitely be interested to have a copy if your ok with it.

_║║║╠══╦╦╦╦══╦══╦═╗║║__
_║║║║║═╣║║║╔╗║║═╣╔╝║║__
_║║║║║═╣║║║║║║║═╣╚╦╝╚╗_
_╚╩═╩══╩══╩╝╚╩══╩═╩══╝_

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:56 pm 
FTP Access

The Internet Archive would be a pretty good place to put that. It not only hosts it, it also makes it publicly accessible and relatively easy for others to find.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
That would indeed be nice to have. +1 for an upload on IA

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Nashville 999 / Neptune 5111
Defiantly IA. I didn't think of them hosting it but that definitely is the best option for you.

_║║║╠══╦╦╦╦══╦══╦═╗║║__
_║║║║║═╣║║║╔╗║║═╣╔╝║║__
_║║║║║═╣║║║║║║║═╣╚╦╝╚╗_
_╚╩═╩══╩══╩╝╚╩══╩═╩══╝_

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
I'd mirror it as I'm a retro enthusiast, I'd offer up to 1-2tb traffic and <= 100gb space.

My intention is to also have DEC, Metrowerks, Apple (Carbon era) and SGI techpubs content since I'd really like to have a copy of these archives up.
PM me if you can accommodate getting the files to me. (PS: There is MEGA for 50GB/day file movements)
+1 on IA, though I predict it will be no more in 10 years due to the size of the archive and the largely untested legal concerns that stem from publicly allowing access/download to unlicensed copyrighted content before it is taken down.

Microsoft may not itself provide the files anymore, but they do retain the copyright (Up to 70+ years on works after 1973) on the code and branding, reserving the ability to enforce take-downs against sites hosting files they don't want out there, regardless of if it was made available from them originally/officially, public or not. The law (Ability to copy/distribute) doesn't always apply completely to other jurisdictions such as Germany or Europe as a whole, however.

Exemptions now exist for the allowance of cracking software that is not purchasable, but not under the US Library of Congress if some believed so. The 2013 Jailbreak decision was also supposed to include provisions for software becoming exempt if such "technological measures" prevent further "research", but instead these ideas only made it into law in the European Union around the same time. In Europe clean-room implementations are allowed when engineer with "insider" information about the know-how of a "technological measure" then is corresponding with an engineer who doesn't have any of that information, but can based on what information he interprets design and program the same functions all the same. (ReactOS decision)

Click-through EULA is required to "accept the terms and conditions" yet you'd have to run the executable (On the intended architecture, base OS or BIOS of applicable) to know what it is/in it (Unless you're doing data forensics specifically to find these strings) but this is of course preposterous as the file on its own merely sits there, where it came from is irrelevant and sometimes impossible to determine. On its own, it still serves no purpose, and without the original pages and working links coming from an official Microsoft website there is no way to know exactly 100% how it was before they started selectively tearing down pages, even with Wayback or IA, since we're talking about -2007 and Microsoft IMHO cowardly pulled out pieces of the rug and hid them under another rug starting then.

BA has a better chance of weathering time due to its specific contribution requirements and zero-tolerance policies with certain uploads, and I'm surprised BA isn't willing to accept WWW mirrors for OS and Development related software that is inter-dependent on many of the same titles already available for experimenting. (Cygwin, MinGW for older Windows versions, and all the ones I mentioned at the top of this post to start with)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.x
Sorry for the bit of a delay.

So thanks to this kind and generous person above me, the Microsoft Knowledge Base is now accessible online. However, I only just realized that a list of KB numbers is pretty useless, so I decided that I need to build an index. (Should have done this from the beginning, but you can't think of everything.)

I could have auto-generated an index based on the metadata that is already there, but 1. since my archive is a mish-mash of different sources that use different metadata it's pretty hard to automate, and 2. the categories are generally a complete mess (most Windows 3.1 articles are sorted under Windows 95, for example; and there are categories on every version of Word and then one category for Word in general, where it's unclear what the difference is). And for the text files that (obviously) don't have metadata, I'd have to work manually anyway.

So instead I decided to manually build the index. This will (naturally) take a few days. You can take a look at what the index will look like already. It's obviously far from complete and I'll be working on it the next few days as much as time allows. I decided to (roughly) adopt Microsoft's categories with a few minor changes and will then sort the entries in these categories by their KB number (which also happens to be roughly chronological with regards to the time these articles were entered into the Knowledge Base).

The demo (if you want to call it that) is here: http://docs.fa1l.net/mskb/. Note that all the articles are already there, not just those already indexed, so if you want a specific Knowledge Base article that you know the KB number of that isn't already indexed, try typing it into the address bar and see what happens.

You don't need to tell me about missing articles because I know that already. If articles ended up in the wrong category you can tell me about that, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:36 pm 

I guess it's gone, huh? That's too bad, I've been looking for an archive of Knowledge Base articles.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.x
Yeah, it sure didn't last long.

I'm actually currently processing more articles that I happened to just stumble upon. I don't know how long that takes but I'll see what to do with a proper release once I'm done with that. Give me a week or two or something.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.x
So the above online version is back up, but I also (finally) uploaded an offline version.

Get it here: https://mega.nz/#!TaYwyY7C!VO4p7VU5ANqmAmmWmwSkOHlQxQpfnXa8Cq43SGx15-A

The offline version is probably more convenient because you can just index it with Windows Search or something and then do a full-text search through the entire Knowledge Base.

Tell me about all the interesting things you find!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:20 am 
FTP Access

I uploaded a backup to IA: https://archive.org/details/MicrosoftKn ... 00Articles

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS
Thanks to both of you, I grabbed a copy from archive.org to add to my hoard *hehe*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Knowledge Base Archive (200,000+ articles)        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
I was looking for an old KB article only to find it removed, thanks to you I managed to get it
I am going to build a search-able wiki-like website for these KBs so people can find them more easily

Top  Profile