FTP application & upload inquiries

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Darkstar
Donator

Re: FTP application & upload inquiries

Post by Darkstar »

ComputerHunter wrote:When I was reading through the forum a month ago, I noticed those mrpijey's dislike towards non-ftpers.
...I'm still waiting for you to show us some of "... those old threads..." where "...admins on this site hates and looks down at people who don't have FTP right..." [sic]

...but I guess you realized that your accusations are all just not true.

But I agree with mrpijey, this discussion should end here to not derail the thread any further.
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

To put a final end to this discussion I want to remind all members, especially those participating in the latest comments, that using the forum to openly derail the discussions to express personal opinions about the community, forum or its rules and regulations is not acceptable. This also includes replying to such posts which further derails the topic. We have other threads here covering community suggestions where you can properly discuss current issues and propose changes, but if anyone has any particularly troublesome issues take it up with me or Andy directly through PM or Discord, especially if they are of a personal nature. We value open discussion about how we can improve etc but we will not tolerate the abuse of it. Make proper topics in the right forum sections and stick to the topic at hand.

Thank you.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

DayZoonHD
FTP Access

Post by DayZoonHD »

Yesterday, I uploaded with one software which i got from amazon. Also i just requested FTP already, I am not sure if it's freeware software or full retail software. will it acceptable when i am collecting software?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Disc image was fine, however your photos need improving. Please read the guidelines on how to properly make these.

DayZoonHD
FTP Access

Post by DayZoonHD »

I uploaded Disc-Scan after i was following your guide, I did re-uploaded just in case. Can you possibly check please, thank you!
mrpijey wrote:Disc image was fine, however your photos need improving. Please read the guidelines on how to properly make these.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

It's not good, but it will do.

Feras_83

Post by Feras_83 »

Can I share the following:

- Some of rare non widespread programs (in Arabic).

- A copy of Microsoft Access version 2.0 (in Arabic) setup files that been copied to other media (CD) but I don't have the original floppy disks.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

We won't carry them unless they are retail originals.

desumoyo

Post by desumoyo »

Hello

I sent my application and an upload about a week ago and haven't heard of it, are you incredibly busy or was it rejected for some reason?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

It was rejected because you didn't provide the required contribution content.

640kb
FTP Access

Post by 640kb »

Hi, I uploaded something to the FTP a few days ago, and applied for FTP access, but haven't gotten any information on if it was accepted or not. Did I mess something up or forget to put something in the upload?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Still working on FTP applications, I have had little time the last two weeks to process them, so please be a little bit more patient and they will be sorted soon.

Rexon112
FTP Access

Post by Rexon112 »

Hi, I uploaded an archive on the upload FTP server, but I got a TLS error while uploading and continued uploading. Is the 7zip archive accesible and not broken?

DumbPanda

Post by DumbPanda »

Hey guys,

I have a debug beta of an Xbox 360 game ready to upload, but no original disk with which to provide the required scans. I know a lot of this thread has hinged around the scans not being provided, but it is my understanding that they are required if they are available. If I proceed with upload to the FTP server without the scans, but the RAR file I have of the content, is it likely to be rejected?

On that same note, the public FTP server appears to be down.

Thanks

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Hello!

If you don't have the artwork for the beta then it's fine, we'll accept it as long as it's complete. However betas are not admissable for FTP access entry (but are otherwise acceptable for the archive), but you know that already since you've checked the guide :).

And the upload account works fine, just tried it out.

SoftPCMuseum
FTP Access

Post by SoftPCMuseum »

mrpijey wrote:Hello!

If you don't have the artwork for the beta then it's fine, we'll accept it as long as it's complete. However betas are not admissable for FTP access entry (but are otherwise acceptable for the archive), but you know that already since you've checked the guide :).

And the upload account works fine, just tried it out.
Are beta releases of any type considered acceptable for an FTP access entry if they have all of the artwork and follow the guidelines, or are FTP access entries only accepted for abandonware releases now?

The reason I ask this is that there are many original media releases of beta products (regardless of platform) that can have the disks and manuals scanned in just the same way as with the abandonware releases, so I think that they should still be acceptable for FTP access entries if they follow all of the same rules.
Latest release of Virtual Computer emulator available here:
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 72&t=39197

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

That will be a per basis decision depending on the title and the quality of it, but generally yes, if you can provide proper scans and original dump then it most likely will be approved.

sorariku124
FTP Access

Post by sorariku124 »

I noticed my upload was pushed through to the releases in the database a few days ago, but I haven't gotten FTP access yet. Did my application go through properly, or can it just take a few days to get FTP access?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You don't automatically get FTP access, you need to apply for it. There has not been any application by your name.

sorariku124
FTP Access

Post by sorariku124 »

Oops, sorry. I thought I had applied previously. I put in an application again, hopefully I did it right.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

mrpijey wrote:You don't automatically get FTP access, you need to apply for it. There has not been any application by your name.
Given that all new users contribute something to get FTP access, why don't you give it automatically upon receipt of a suitable contribution if the user does not already have FTP access? I don't think a user will particularly want to contribute something but not want FTP access, and hence this extra step seems like superfluous bureaucracy to me.

Exemptus
FTP Access

Post by Exemptus »

x010 wrote:I don't think a user will particularly want to contribute something but not want FTP access, and hence this extra step seems like superfluous bureaucracy to me.
I'm not sure this would be wise. It assumes that the only motivation for contributing to the site is getting FTP access, which I'm sure will be in most cases, but not all. Each new account takes resources and increases liability, especially if not used over time. It seems sensible to only give access to those that intend to make use of it. And there may be other reasons, because nobody likes the drudgery of extra admin work - if it is set up this way it must be because it serves a purpose.

sunborn
FTP Access

Post by sunborn »

I can't reply to mrpijey directly but I have something he calls a "some kind of custom OEM repacks"

What happens if there is no documentation shipped with the release?
What happens if the box was larger than a shoebox and was garbaged?

It doesn't matter to me, I have other abandonware I can upload. If the collection doesn't want the CD rips, fine by me.

"Also part of some larger pack which is incomplete."

The other parts of the collection are already present in the

Also at the risk of cross posting. I am completely confused by how to package an upload? Do you nest the archives?

e.g.
Microsoft Excel 4.0a (''Crunchy'' 4.00.1234) (1992-09-29) (3.5''-1.44MB) (beta) [English] [DEC OEM].rar
contains:
--> media_bincue.rar
--> artwork.rar
--> documentation.rar

Because if this is not the case I have bungled up my third attempt at upload.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

sunborn wrote:I can't reply to mrpijey directly but I have something he calls a "some kind of custom OEM repacks"

What happens if there is no documentation shipped with the release?
What happens if the box was larger than a shoebox and was garbaged?
Then you scan what you have available.
sunborn wrote:Also at the risk of cross posting. I am completely confused by how to package an upload? Do you nest the archives?

e.g.
Microsoft Excel 4.0a (''Crunchy'' 4.00.1234) (1992-09-29) (3.5''-1.44MB) (beta) [English] [DEC OEM].rar
contains:
--> media_bincue.rar
--> artwork.rar
--> documentation.rar

Because if this is not the case I have bungled up my third attempt at upload.
It's all laid out in the guide. But you name your title properly, add the artwork and disc dumps in separate subfolders, pack it all up and upload.

DullPilot
FTP Access

Post by DullPilot »

Hey mrpijey. I have some old softwares of FL Studio. if i were able to dump it in a way that you would want it, will it be accepted for ftp access, or am I just wrong?
There are 4 major Credit Card Networks. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and the one where you have to discover the 3 stores that accept it.