BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 10h, 52m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5911MB of 12015MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application inquiries        Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:03 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Hi mrpijey,

Just checking in on the status of my most recent application. I submitted it seven days ago.

Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application inquiries        Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:41 am 
Administrator

I have not received any recent FTP application from you. An upload to the FTP is not the same as an FTP application.

I will check any recent uploads you've made, but you need to re-apply for FTP access if you intend to use your upload as an FTP entry contribution.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application inquiries        Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Okay. I redumped the MDF, mounted it on my machine, and verified that I could successfully browse the file hierarchy. I also included the log file and I actually submitted an application this time around.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application inquiries        Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:02 am 
Administrator

It's not reading the file hierarchy that is the problem, I could do that earlier too. It's reading the actual files that is the problem. I mounted your new image and tried to install it and get a file corruption error and CRC errors. You should try to install it from your original disc and see that it actually works...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application inquiries        Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
You're right. When I try to install the game from disc I get an "invalid function" error. Sorry for the trouble. I'll look for another beta game with which to apply.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:38 pm 
FTP Access

Hey there,

I did an upload and applied for FTP access about a week ago, so I want to check how things are going. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:16 am 

Favourite OS
VM/370rel6
In a a posting found via Google a chap was looking for various and sundry examples of DOS. I have in my collection of embedded system software several examples of what General Software, a US company who was attempting to correct numerous shortcomings in the DOS offerings that MSFT presented. (They were actually aiming towards the embedded system market such as it was when the company was launched.) Ideally I'd lake to make available these examples. Plus appropriate PDF files such as they were also made available.

Also disk images of what Microsoft was attempting to deliver for the embedded device market.

For one such example of General Software's DOS 4.04 image, I would also provide both the original disk image, and an image in the form of a WinImage compatible floppy. Plus of course their own PDF file explaining it.

Obviously this may or may not be the right forum location for it, but as you might surmise I'm new here, and am interested in examining your listings of downloads. Obviously the forum practically insisted on an upload or two or three for such qualifications. I'm not exactly sure how the donations work from my country, I'm in the US at the moment.
Pleas take your time parsing this statement and your own response.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:47 am 
Administrator

The FTP list is available both in the Definitive Guide and my signature.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:39 pm 

Favourite OS
VM/370rel6
Thank you for your prompt response! I shall take my time and properly construct everything. And then the uploads will be done in strict accordance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:54 am 

Hey,
Just curious what the status is with my application, uploaded something five days ago and applied a day later.
Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:57 am 
FTP Access

Is there a maximum DPI when it comes to scans? I know that the super high quality scans can take up a lot of space. Also is there an example upload? Something that shows newbies like me what a good upload looks like? Something that includes the scans and dumps?

Edit: fixed autocorrect issues.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:51 pm 
Administrator

There's no maximum DPI, if you want to scan it at a quadrillion dpi that's fine :). But the norm is 600/1200dpi.

Got no example, but just follow the guidelines in the guide and it will be good.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:57 pm 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:
There's no maximum DPI, if you want to scan it at a quadrillion dpi that's fine :). But the norm is 600/1200dpi.

Got no example, but just follow the guidelines in the guide and it will be good.
Ok. Thanks. I'm currently scanning at 1200 DPI anyways.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:15 pm 
Administrator

MrBurgerKing wrote:
Hey,
Just curious what the status is with my application, uploaded something five days ago and applied a day later.
Thanks!

I have no application from you... your release came through fine, please reapply and it will be approved.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm 
FTP Access

When it comes to manuals, do the pages need to be individually scanned or can 2 pages be scanned at a time?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 pm 
Administrator

Both can be scanned at the same time as long as they are not cut or modified in any way.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:36 am 
FTP Access

I recently attempted to upload to the FTP, but I've been denied for the second time. It seems like I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know how to fix my errors. I'm new to all this, so is it possible to point out what I've been doing wrong with my upload?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 am 
Administrator

Did you read the scanning guide and compare it to your release? I could of course tell you specifically what's wrong, but if I did that then you would admit that you can't read instructions, and I want to give you a chance to figure this out on your own.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:30 pm 
FTP Access

Ok, while I try to figure that out, is there a guide on the website that shows you how to upload a release that wasn’t distributed by disc, such as betas exclusively hosted on the Xbox Live marketplace, for example?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:04 pm 
Administrator

No, we don't have a guide for non-original stuff as each situation is different.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Hi,

I got your private message about the scanning. Unfortunately, the scanner I have just barely fits the box. In this situation, is it preferable to scan using the camera on my phone to ensure there's no cropping? I don't believe the quality will be the same even if there's a slight cropping on the edges.

Regards,

-xorlac

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:51 pm 
Administrator

Just scan it as two parts and I can put it together myself. Just make sure there's no edge scanning like you did the last time.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:35 pm 
FTP Access

quick question, not entirely sure if this fits here, please advise if i should post it somewhere else:

once a user has access to the FTP, and downloads a specific item, is it allowed to share said item with other communities, i.e. outside of BA? i am sometimes contributing to another site specifically involved in archiving of floppy dumps, and have found specific dumps which they might also like to include.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
troublemind wrote:
quick question, not entirely sure if this fits here, please advise if i should post it somewhere else:

once a user has access to the FTP, and downloads a specific item, is it allowed to share said item with other communities, i.e. outside of BA? i am sometimes contributing to another site specifically involved in archiving of floppy dumps, and have found specific dumps which they might also like to include.

I think the answer is pretty obviously no. If that was allowed, why wouldn't the FTP be open to begin with? Sharing anything from the FTP with non-FTP access individuals is grounds for a permaban.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FTP application & upload inquiries        Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:06 pm 
FTP Access

DanielOosterhuis wrote:
I think the answer is pretty obviously no. If that was allowed, why wouldn't the FTP be open to begin with? Sharing anything from the FTP with non-FTP access individuals is grounds for a permaban.

makes sense, but i was browsing the forum rules and found no guideline regarding sharing, that is why i am asking. or i just missed this info somehow.

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next