FTP application & upload inquiries

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Balthasar
FTP Access

PowerSoft PowerBuilder 5.0 [English] [Windows] (CD-ROM)

Post by Balthasar »

Only way I can possibly communicate to the people that deal with the FTP since I am new and cant reply to PM's

I Did submit this but I am wondering how I can make the artwork better since I don't have a flatbed scanner only a document scanner and I did submit with pictures with the release with how i can at the moment.

Just want to make everything proper before applying for FTP access again.
Last edited by x010 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Not an offer, the main question is on applying for the FTP

x010
Staff

Re: FTP application & upload inquiries

Post by x010 »

A couple of topics were merged. Note that this is the best place for new users to ask about their upload status rather than creating ten topics about it...

sampotter
FTP Access

Post by sampotter »

Do you need to reapply for ftp access, after uploading a rescan of problematic scan?

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

sampotter wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:39 pm
Do you need to reapply for ftp access, after uploading a rescan of problematic scan?
Yes.

shatin

Post by shatin »

Hi mrpijey,

Are we allowed to upload Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile firmware? According to the 'blacklist', it is not allowed to upload phone firmware. However I saw a bunch of Win10 Mobile OS on the server.

Thanks

tls01

Post by tls01 »

A quick question. There is Office 1995 [Polish] on the FTP but it contains only IMG files. I have box version so I can upload artwork too. Should I make another copy of disks? Leave any notes for admins so my upload is not "automatically" considered as a duplicate?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

shatin wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:45 pm
Hi mrpijey,

Are we allowed to upload Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile firmware? According to the 'blacklist', it is not allowed to upload phone firmware. However I saw a bunch of Win10 Mobile OS on the server.

Thanks
It depends. It may be admissable if it's a beta, but not RTM.
tls01 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:10 pm
A quick question. There is Office 1995 [Polish] on the FTP but it contains only IMG files. I have box version so I can upload artwork too. Should I make another copy of disks? Leave any notes for admins so my upload is not "automatically" considered as a duplicate?
Yeah, the floppies need to be redumped as we don't know if yours are identical.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

eyesolaris

Paragon HFS+ and FTP Access

Post by eyesolaris »

Hello! I have uploaded Paragon HFS+ for Windows 8/8.1 Free Edition, dated November, 2014, on BetaArchive. Please be patient and read to end before saying it is free software and violation of BA rules. Free Edition is hard to find on the Internet, as it is an earlier version: try to find it yourself if you don't believe me *-). This version for non-commercial use only. Now Paragon HFS+ is only paid version. Also, this version is one of the earliest, and I have got it when signed up in Paragon and applied for this software. I have received a personal product key, so I really own it. So, I uploaded it and applied to FTP Access. Later the file has disappeared from Upload FTP, and it seems that my application was rejected. Am I right? What's wrong with this software actually? Was it rejected only because it is free software? If it is a violation of rules without a matter of it's rarity, please, let me know. Also, if you find it somewhere in the Internet, please, also let me know. Anyway, I want to upload some more "weighty" original titles later, so it is not so important to me, I just want to know, is this title worthy or not.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: Paragon HFS+ and FTP Access

Post by yourepicfailure »

By what statements I've read from mrpijey, downloads are typically not accepted for FTP access.
Primarily because it is difficult to prove authenticity.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

eyesolaris

Re: Paragon HFS+ and FTP Access

Post by eyesolaris »

Ouch! I'm sorry, I have just found a special thread for such a questions, and I should have posted it in there or have asked in PM. Didn't want to pollute a forum... :$ Anyway, thanks for understanding! :>

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

Topic merged.

fvdegrxy

Post by fvdegrxy »

Hi guys,
Very new to this site. Stumbled across here whilst looking for PS1 beta games.

I applied for FTP access with a beta PKG builder for PSP & PS3. It is actually quite a bit harder to find then most homebrew tools available on the internet.

My upload is no longer on FileZilla, however I still haven't been accepted into the database.
If I need to dig harder, for 'rarer' and 'better' Beta software, i'll try and find something else. Just send me a message or something, I haven't heard anything :(

If my application was not 'worthy':
I saw that 'Apple Xcode 12.2 (12B5018i) (2020-09-17) (beta)' was a recently uploaded file on the FTP server. (2020/09/19)
How is this at all a 'rare' software beta? The second result of a Google search will get you this software.

I get the feeling here is the place where most would come for beta software (and is probably one of the most extensive collections on the internet.) Considering this, how are majority of consumers like myself meant to find 'unreleased' beta software?

Without developing something new yourself and uploading it (which from what I understand is against the rules, due to the 'amateur' nature of the comntent) The only other way I can conceive attaining the required 'leaked' or 'beta' content that's required to be granted to access this website would be to infiltrate another online server and illegally replicate a repository, which I greatly doubt the moderators of this website would be actively advocating for.

I understand the point of the application process to access the content on this website, however I don't think you'll be 'sacrificing your bandwith for some normie' if you were to allow me to peruse the contents of the server.

Thanks
-Codey

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You should start with reading the guidelines on what you can and can't contribute as well as how to get access to the FTP. We don't only collect betas, but what we collect has to be an original title, or a beta of such. Your contribution was neither. We don't collect homebrew stuff.

As for the Xcode title we do collect SDKs etc as well, and it happens to be original. It may not be rare today, but it may be in the future. Either way rarity doesn't play into what we preserve or don't.

fvdegrxy

Post by fvdegrxy »

I do agree that my submission was perhaps a little lacklustre. Let me attempt to bring something new to the table. Don’t worry, I won’t bombard you with submissions. I may be eager, but I’m not annoying.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

There is no need to upload BETA software. I don't understand where people get this idea from. And it especially doesn't need to be "rare" by any definition of the word.

You can literally upload any software, even retail, as long as it is not shareware/shovelware/bundleware etc.
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Can we please keep this thread clean and only for actual inquiries without needless discussions and arguments? The guide is available to everyone and it outlines everything needed, if there are any proper questions about it PM me or a mod and we'll help you.