BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 14d, 20h, 2m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5374MB of 11650MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Emulators and hypervisors; Update: 17/07/2017        Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 6.3.9600.16497
Should note that Hyper-V is only available on Pro versions of Windows.

Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulators and hypervisors; Update: 17/07/2017        Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
D-Fend Reloaded is also a good programm (comes with DOSBox) but more Userfriendly interface for beginners.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulators and hypervisors; Update: 17/07/2017        Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4
It should be noted that right now QEMU is able to run every MacOS from 9.0.4 to 10.5 (except Rhapsody and two of the developer previews), as well as Solaris and SunOS for SPARC and UltraSPARC, and Linux and NetBSD for PowerPC, Sparc, UltraSPARC, and of course x86 and amd64.
FreeAXP is able to run Tru64 UNIX and OpenVMS for Alpha pretty well.
SIMH is a mess to configure but can run Ultrix and VMS for VAS, while GXEmul (another mess to configure) can run Ultrix for MIPS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulators and hypervisors; Update: 17/07/2017        Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
claunia wrote:
SIMH is a mess to configure...

Hm, I cannot agree. I generally found SimH one of the easier simulators to configure and use (easier than, say, MAME)... There's just no GUI for it :)

claunia wrote:
...while GXEmul (another mess to configure) can run Ultrix for MIPS.

...I completely agree on GXEmul. It's also a pretty dead project, sadly, as there has been no significant update in years. Sad, it was a very promising framework...

There was also SimOS, a research project from Stanford that could emulate an SGI (Indy I think?) and run a slightly modified version of IRIX 5.3 on it. It's quite tricky to track down nowadays (a mirror is here, and the fact that it couldn't run stock IRIX makes it less interesting, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulators and hypervisors; Update: 17/07/2017        Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4
Darkstar wrote:
claunia wrote:
SIMH is a mess to configure...

Hm, I cannot agree. I generally found SimH one of the easier simulators to configure and use (easier than, say, MAME)... There's just no GUI for it :)

There's a reason why the MAME side for computer emulation was called MESS!

Word jokes aside, compared to MAME, SIMH is simple, but compared to others it is more difficult.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulators and hypervisors; Update: 17/07/2017        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP2
Kind of an obscure use case but Shoebill is an A/UX emulator.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulators and hypervisors; Update: 17/07/2017        Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 am 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
Folks,

VICE emulator emulates PET, SuperPET, and Commodore 16/64/128/4plus.
Official website is http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/.

MAME also emulates TI-99/4A, TRS-80, Atari 400/800, Spectrum ZX and other many microcomputers.

Tim

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulators and hypervisors; Update: 13/10/2018        Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:54 pm 

Favourite OS
Alto Executive by Xerox
Hello,

I don't see "windows95" emulator here: https://github.com/felixrieseberg/windows95

Top  Profile