BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 23h, 26m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5324MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:46 pm 

Favourite OS
I was thinking of contributing my custom made Windows 10 build 10014 iso, I made it with 10122's PE and setup and 10014's install.wim. Would this be acceptable?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
No, modified software isn't allowed.

Where did you get the idea that this would have a chance of being accepted?

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:08 pm 

Favourite OS
InsertGoodNameHere wrote:
No, modified software isn't allowed.

Where did you get the idea that this would have a chance of being accepted?

I was thinking my iso would be accepted because the wim was the original leak.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Some people discuss it, but it's generally not allowed to post the binaries. You have to host the binaries from somewhere else.

Usually, it's because the project has some kind of educational value or general utility. I have a number of projects, such as MS-DOS 6.30 and 7.10.2400, Windoze 3.12.7654, and Win-OS/2 under DOS. Ideally they should try and show something that is different to what is usual.

My understanding of WIM is that none of the OS used to mount the WIM is used in the install. This is pretty much in line that if you used MS-DOS 6.30 to restore a ghosted Windows 98ME, or even to install Windows 95, then none of MS-DOS 6.30 is copied across to the hard disk. WIM is essentially Compaq's home brew of Ghost or ZIP, and you are in essence just ghosting the disk using some entirely different OS.

You would need to demonstrate that 10122 files are actually copied into the 10014 install, which i suspect, does not happen.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:22 pm 

Favourite OS
os2fan2 wrote:
Some people discuss it, but it's generally not allowed to post the binaries. You have to host the binaries from somewhere else.

Usually, it's because the project has some kind of educational value or general utility. I have a number of projects, such as MS-DOS 6.30 and 7.10.2400, Windoze 3.12.7654, and Win-OS/2 under DOS. Ideally they should try and show something that is different to what is usual.

My understanding of WIM is that none of the OS used to mount the WIM is used in the install. This is pretty much in line that if you used MS-DOS 6.30 to restore a ghosted Windows 98ME, or even to install Windows 95, then none of MS-DOS 6.30 is copied across to the hard disk. WIM is essentially Compaq's home brew of Ghost or ZIP, and you are in essence just ghosting the disk using some entirely different OS.

You would need to demonstrate that 10122 files are actually copied into the 10014 install, which i suspect, does not happen.

That is NOT what I did here's what I did.
1: Extracted the Windows 10 Build 10122 iso
2: Deleted \sources \install.wim
3 Moved the leaked 10014.winmain_prs.wim into \sources\
4:Renamed 10014.winmain_prs.wim to install.wim
5:Built the iso with imgburn
6:Tested it in VMware and it worked

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Fuzzy_Blanket wrote:
I was thinking of contributing my custom made Windows 10 build 10014 iso, I made it with 10122's PE and setup and 10014's install.wim. Would this be acceptable?

I suspect that users are expected to figure this out on their own. For example, I'm fairly sure that BA hosts only the unfixed copy of Longhorn 4011. Homebrews are only accepted when there is no original copy (e.g. LH 4093) as far as I know.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
lopper wrote:
Fuzzy_Blanket wrote:

I suspect that users are expected to figure this out on their own. For example, I'm fairly sure that BA hosts only the unfixed copy of Longhorn 4011. Homebrews are only accepted when there is no original copy (e.g. LH 4093) as far as I know.

Actually, BA hosts the modified version of 4011. It doesn't even use the proper CKY24 key... it uses the TCP8W one.

But mrpijey put it there, so...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:56 pm 

Favourite OS
lopper wrote:
Fuzzy_Blanket wrote:

Well no original 10014 iso leaked so I guess this would be ok, Only it's wim leaked. Here's the original topic of the leak viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33878

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Even the leaked 10014 WIM was modified if I remember correctly, thanks to Wzor's inability to leak anything properly.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:10 pm 

Favourite OS
Offtopic Comment
I never trust wzor I only go to him when I can't find anything elseware, Plus he spreads false information.

So would my iso be ok?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Fuzzy_Blanket wrote:
Offtopic Comment
I never trust wzor I only go to him when I can't find anything elseware, Plus he spreads false information.

So would my iso be ok?

Perhaps, not. If you read the uploading guidelines, they call for only original content and no homebrew "software"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:59 pm 

Favourite OS
Thank you for answering my question.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
You could try to upload it, considering the other homebrew unoriginal stuff on FTP. However, it might not be counted as a "contribution" if mrpijey does in fact, accept it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:16 pm 

Favourite OS
I will upload it and see what mrpijey thinks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:02 pm 
Administrator

It can be accepted in some circumstances, but you better then include a full and detailed documentation of what's custom and what's not.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Modified and Homebrewd software allowed?        Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:43 pm 

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
It can be accepted in some circumstances, but you better then include a full and detailed documentation of what's custom and what's not.

It does include a readme.

Top  Profile