BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 56d, 23h, 43m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 4993MB of 12233MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Problems extracting software from old CDs        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:58 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 SP 2
Since I want to contribute to BetaArchive, I searched the deepest darkest corners of my home for old software and made a few finds, but I am not able to extract any of the information on the disks. When I insert them into my PC, it wont read them. The disks are not scratched at all, are in very good condition, and from what I know they have been in storage for more than 12 years now. Is this simply a problem with my PC being too new, or is there really no way of me getting anything off of those disks?

Last edited by TOVTL on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Problems extracting software from old disks        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Betas
Do you know what the CD Cover or the Labels Say

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Problems extracting software from old disks        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:51 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP SP3
Hmm. First, I guess you mean a floppy disk, with the spelling and all that. If not, make sure you tell us. Any PC with a floppy disk drive should be able to read floppy disks. However, floppies are a very finicky little thing and keeping them in bad storage conditions can destroy the disk. Try a different floppy disk drive, since the drives can be just as finicky as the disks themselves.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Problems extracting software from old disks        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:32 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 SP 2
I should probably have clarified that these are CDs. I apologize for not remembering that

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Problems extracting software from old CDs        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
First check your CD's for aluminum decay. Google Images Examples If none, get Alcohol 120 and set read speed to 1x while following archiving guidelines. Check for errors during process. If none, mount image and see if you can run the programs.

Older CD's can't be read at 2x, 4x or whatever faster x speed there is nowadays. I encountered this issue with my CD's as well. And please do describe what "issues" you encounter while reading the discs. Messages, explorer doesn't see it, etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Problems extracting software from old CDs        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
If it's a CDR then chances are they've already deteriorated so much that you cannot recover anything from them; especially early CDRs (the golden or green looking ones, or some of the early blueish/silvery ones too) are very prone to failure. Try holding it up towards a light source, press your eye against it and try looking through. The more you see thourh, the thinner the recording layer, and generally the worse the quality of the CDR.

OTOH, if they are pressed CDs there shouldn't be any problems no matter how old they are. I have early Audio CDs from the eighties which are still perfectly playable today without any deterioration whatsoever

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Problems extracting software from old CDs        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I have an LG DVD Writer opn my desk PC and sometimes it cannot read CDs. :( I have found that my laptop's DVD writer handles those unreadable CDs perfectly.

SO, try reading your CDs on another PC, it might help. :D

Top  Profile  WWW