BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 15h, 43m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5048MB of 12235MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:50 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 3.1
How do people who are not a member of the development team, publisher, or journalists who received a review copy get their hands on an old build of something? The only way I know of is through the government/archive, which is how some dude found a full, final version of Duke Nukem Critical Mass PSP (but refused to release because legal trouble).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 pm 

Favourite OS
Chicago 73
They don't. Older builds get leaked by people who were on the development team, and once the beta scene gets their hands on a leak, it gets spread around the web, or in BA's case on their FTP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:25 am 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
People of the company (Ex. Microsoft) receive the builds to test, and then leak them for the sake of the beta community.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
Guess you've never heard of the Half-Life 2 leak then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
MicroBetaMan wrote:
Older builds get leaked by people who were on the development team

Exactly. My friend is on a development team at Rockstar Games, so he could leak a build of a TBA/TBR game he is working on. But since this is highly illegal for him, he would not. My point is, in order to have access to an unseen version of a game/software, you would have to be on that development team.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Not necessarily. What you said is true for internal builds only - but many builds are also sent out to selected testers and partners as well, which then often leak what they get. So you don't have to be a developer to have access to unleaked builds.

In fact, I dare speculate we got more builds from external rather than internal sources (in case of MS at least).

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Overdoze wrote:
In fact, I dare speculate we got more builds from external rather than internal sources (in case of MS at least).

This has overridingly been the case since the Longhorn reset. But for the brief group of early Windows 8 builds, its almost entirely come from partners.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:25 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 3.1
q3hardcore wrote:
Guess you've never heard of the Half-Life 2 leak then.

I always thought that one was a special case, because Gabe Newell is the only man brave enough to have his password be his name gaben.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
In the days before the internet, they had 'computer shows' and computer shops actually sold most of the applications off the shelf. So if you went to a show, you could get something like an OS/2 beta for pretty much the price of a box of diskettes. The usual fare was to head for the shovelware vendors, (eg Hobbes OS/2 cdrom etc), and see what can be got there.

Computer shows morphed into flea-market things, and if you keep your eye out, you could get Windows 2000 or something for 5$. I even got office xp for $1 at some used book-sale.

Or you could get onto a mailing list, and get your betas etc that way. I got Lotus Smartsuite beta that way.

I got my copy of PC-DOS 6.3 from there.

In the 1990s the shops used to sell a good range of software, so you could pop in there and buy things like AmiPro or 123 off the shelf. PC-DOS 7 came from there.

I got my IBM DOS 5.02 and 6.00 out of remainder bins, along with Winword.

A lot of the betas that did the circuit were bootlegged, that is, repackaged for the sneakernet. If you were into bootleg music, it wasn't hard to follow where the bootleg software was.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How do non-company people accessed old builds?        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:15 pm 
FTP Access

os2fan2 wrote:
In the days before the internet, they had 'computer shows' and computer shops actually sold most of the applications off the shelf. So if you went to a show, you could get something like an OS/2 beta for pretty much the price of a box of diskettes. The usual fare was to head for the shovelware vendors, (eg Hobbes OS/2 cdrom etc), and see what can be got there.

Computer shows morphed into flea-market things, and if you keep your eye out, you could get Windows 2000 or something for 5$. I even got office xp for $1 at some used book-sale.

Or you could get onto a mailing list, and get your betas etc that way. I got Lotus Smartsuite beta that way.

I got my copy of PC-DOS 6.3 from there.

In the 1990s the shops used to sell a good range of software, so you could pop in there and buy things like AmiPro or 123 off the shelf. PC-DOS 7 came from there.

I got my IBM DOS 5.02 and 6.00 out of remainder bins, along with Winword.

A lot of the betas that did the circuit were bootlegged, that is, repackaged for the sneakernet. If you were into bootleg music, it wasn't hard to follow where the bootleg software was.
Well actually, it was also the case (for quite a while at least) that pre-release demonstrations of computer software products were sent to ISVs, or independent software vendors. These very often would include upcoming versions of the Microsoft MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows products (and for a while even Microsoft OS/2 obviously), as well as development tools and so on.

Two magazines that I know of which were quite closely connected with this (and the development of Microsoft products in general) were InfoWorld and Computerworld, but especially the former since it not only had greatly detailed information in regards to many different versions of Windows (both pre-release and final) but also very often would provide full articles and even screenshots of pre-release versions being shipped to developers.

It was also the case that people working as interns at Microsoft would also very often receive earlier pre-release versions, including the one user here who donated Microsoft Windows Premiere Edition to us.

Top  Profile  WWW