SCiZE's warez BBS collection

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Courage
FTP Access

Re: SCiZE's warez BBS collection

Post by Courage »

Here's a screenshot of Millennium Build 2404 (from the info I got, it looks like a developer release):

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

Seems to be an interesting build, has two 5.50.5086.1 files among other things. Not much left of the infamous Activity Centers it seems, sadly...
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

Here's Windows 2000 build 2151. Apparently, it's one of the first RC3 builds:

UPDATE: Did anyone manage to get 1965, 1994 or 2020 installed in VMware? They hang after the MS-DOS setup for me.

UPDATE 2: 2020 installs on PCem, but the mouse does not work. Any advice on how to fix this?
Last edited by Courage on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- Courage: Why not just put "Courage" as name and "BetaArchive" as company. There'd be no need to censor the screenshots then. :p
Join [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/softhistory/]#softhistory @ RoL IRC[/url], a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/aniboshi/]#doki-doki @ RoL IRC[/url], Mibbit, KiwiIRC.
The 86Box help channel is #softhistory now!

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

cantasan99
FTP Access

Post by cantasan99 »

Courage wrote:Here's Windows 2000 build 2151. Apparently, it's one of the first RC3 builds.

UPDATE: Did anyone manage to get 1965, 1994 or 2020 installed in VMware? They hang after the MS-DOS setup for me.

UPDATE 2: 2020 installs on PCem, but the mouse does not work. Any advice on how to fix this?
I'll try QEMU or whatever for you, but you need to wait.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

MS-DOS 5.00.224 Beta came from BBS collection

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

Here's 1965 Pro:

Here's a few things about this build:

* It's the second leaked NT build of 1999.

* It uses the same branding and sounds as 1946, but has an updated shell. The only remaining NT 5 branding is the Logon Screen Saver.

* It introduces a few icons, most notably the Recycle Bin icon.

* It's the buggiest build out of the leaks so far, and it can just kill PCem outright.

gus33000
FTP Access
Location: Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Post by gus33000 »

Courage wrote:* It's the buggiest build out of the leaks so far, and it can just kill PCem outright.
Why not trying to install this build on VirtualBox ? So far, this is the virtualizator in which I got the best results. Ok, I have to admit that you have a nasty bug with the video driver during setup and you have to press enter each time + entering some text at a moment. But when finished installing it works great. Here is 1964 working in virtual box :

Also I got every build working. If you want some info about them you can ask me :P

Edit : Random screens :

Offtopic Comment
You can already guess by the vm name that this was not an easy task to install those builds...

johnleakedfan
FTP Access

Post by johnleakedfan »

gus33000 wrote:
Courage wrote:* It's the buggiest build out of the leaks so far, and it can just kill PCem outright.
Why not trying to install this build on VirtualBox ? So far, this is the virtualizator in which I got the best results. Ok, I have to admit that you have a nasty bug with the video driver during setup and you have to press enter each time + entering some text at a moment. But when finished installing it works great. Here is 1964 working in virtual box :

Also I got every build working. If you want some info about them you can ask me :P

Edit : Random screens :

Offtopic Comment
You can already guess by the vm name that this was not an easy task to install those builds...
I cant get it (1835) installed in VPC because of Device Driver (Critical) Errors, right after setup is finished, at restart there is a bluescreen, have you tried QEMU
Last edited by johnleakedfan on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

caleb13
FTP Access

Post by caleb13 »

Can these Builds work on VPC 2007?

gus33000
FTP Access
Location: Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Post by gus33000 »

johnleakedfan wrote:have you tried QEMU
Yes I have tried Qemu, but :

1) It's very slow
2) The build hang right before gui setup at starting Windows NT.

Again why not trying VirtualBox ? It's available on every platform and works great for 2000 betas.

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

BIOS dates for the leaked builds in chronological order:

1835: June 25, 1998
1964: January 21, 1999
1965: January 22, 1999
2136 (9x): January 27, 1999
1969: January 29, 1999
1994: February 20, 1999
2020: April 13, 1999
2151: October 23, 1999
2404 (9x): October 26, 1999
Last edited by Courage on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caleb13
FTP Access

Post by caleb13 »

Courage wrote:BIOS dates for the leaked builds in chronological order:

1835: June 25, 1998
1964: January 21, 1999
1965: January 22, 1999
2136 (9x): January 27, 1999
1994: February 20, 1999
2020: April 13, 1999
2151: October 23, 1999
2404 (9x): October 26, 1999

You forgot Build 1969

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

I added build 1969 to the list. Thanks for pointing that out.

ovctvct
FTP Access

Post by ovctvct »

Seems 1965 is not on the FTP because it's in a format that mrpijey doesn't accept. But don't worry, I managed to make a working ISO that will be accepted and I am uploading it now.

EDIT: ISO uploaded. Just wait for mrpijey.

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

ovctvct wrote:Seems 1965 is not on the FTP because it's in a format that mrpijey doesn't accept. But don't worry, I managed to make a working ISO that will be accepted and I am uploading it now.

EDIT: ISO uploaded. Just wait for mrpijey.
You do know that a 1965 ISO is already on the FTP's [Help] folder right?

EDIT: Here's 1969:

A few things about this build:

* It's nearly the same as 1965, but more stable.

* All NT 5 branding is now exorcised from the system.

* Last build to use most of 1946's unique branding and sounds. 1983 removes all of them minus the winver branding.

lopper
FTP Access

Post by lopper »

How did you guys get the vm working for those builds? I'm interested in trying them out.

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

lopper wrote:How did you guys get the vm working for those builds? I'm interested in trying them out.
For 2000 builds (tested on all builds including ones already leaked ages ago minus 1964, 1965 and 2031):

1. Get the ISO for whatever builds you want to test and a Windows NT 4.0 ISO in the same SKU as the builds you got.

2. Get Virtualbox as it's the only one that works for half of the builds here.

3. Install NT 4, as well as setting the BIOS date (given a few posts back) at the same time.

4. Mount the ISO you got.

5. Go to '/i386' or '/i386/winnt32' (if it exists)

6. Run 'winnt32 /unattend' and let it upgrade, ignoring any errors along the way.

7. If you want, go to Control Panel (after upgrading) and reset the settings you want (some will still be set to NT 4 defaults)

8. Profit!

You will have to upgrade if you don't want an insanely frustrating bug affecting your W2000 install that is also present from all builds from 1835 until 2020. It involves the display driver, or rather, the absence of it.

ovctvct
FTP Access

Post by ovctvct »

Courage wrote:
lopper wrote:How did you guys get the vm working for those builds? I'm interested in trying them out.
For 2000 builds (tested on all builds including ones already leaked ages ago minus 1964, 1965 and 2031):

1. Get the ISO for whatever builds you want to test and a Windows NT 4.0 ISO in the same SKU as the builds you got.

3. Install NT 4, as well as setting the BIOS date (given a few posts back) at the same time.

6. Run 'winnt32 /unattend' and let it upgrade, ignoring any errors along the way.

7. If you want, go to Control Panel (after upgrading) and reset the settings you want (some will still be set to NT 4 defaults)

8. Profit!

You will have to upgrade if you don't want an insanely frustrating bug affecting your W2000 install that is also present from all builds from 1835 until 2020. It involves the display driver, or rather, the absence of it.
Why do you use VBox when VPC works much better(includes S3 native support, etc.)? VPC works fine for me. Plus, in VPC, you don't need to upgrade.

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

ovctvct wrote:
Courage wrote:

8. Profit!

Why do you use VBox when VPC works much better(includes S3 native support, etc.)? VPC works fine for me. Plus, in VPC, you don't need to upgrade.
1. 1835 has driver errors in VPC.

2. Virtualbox's only drawbacks are the methods of setting the BIOS time, and the display driver. Otherwise, it's superior (and way faster, too) to VPC IMHO.

3. I don't even have a compatible platform to use VPC on. VBox can run on the computers I use.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with these points.

UPDATE: Here's 1835:

Quick facts:

* This is the latest build to use the old Windows 95 system sounds. (Think chord, ding, tada, etc...) 1848 uses the newer Windows 98 versions.

* The sidebar is enabled by default again in this build.

* All product ambiguity is removed with the introduction of new branding (until 1911 that is..). It is now clearly labeled as 'Beta 2' all over the system. (Although the RC 0.2 raises some eyebrows, it could just be a RC for Beta 2. It was used quite frequently in Windows 2000 development. For extra proof to back up my claims, you can take a look at 1946 (B3 RC0) and 2000.3 (B3 RC1).)

Here's 1964:

Quick facts (plus a small rant):

* The Workstation builds handled the NT to 2000 conversion relatively smoothly. However, the Server builds handle the same transition with all of the grace of a one-legged ferret riding a unicycle. (This is par for the course, if the IDR builds are anything to go by.) The above screenshot is one example, but as soon as you come out of the desktop, you get this product ID crisis (Before you ask, this image is straight from 1964):

If you were a newbie to the whole beta scene, I'm pretty sure you'd have no idea that the two screenshots above belong to the same build.

* This build has the same characteristics as 1965 (minus the whole 'Server' part and the above point), but that should be a bit obvious by now.

Third-to-last build to verify, here's 1994:

Quick facts:

* Wallpaper updates.

* Contains a rendition of the RTM startup and shutdown sounds that are unique to 1983-2000.

* The shade of gray on the desktop when it displays the shutdown dialog is missing.

* Other than this, most of the changes over here are under the hood.

ovctvct
FTP Access

Post by ovctvct »

Courage wrote:
ovctvct wrote:
Courage wrote:
*snip*
Here's 1964:

Quick facts (plus a small rant):

* The Workstation builds handled the NT to 2000 conversion relatively smoothly. However, the Server builds handle the same transition with all of the grace of a one-legged ferret riding a unicycle. (This is par for the course, if the IDR builds are anything to go by.) The above screenshot is one example, but as soon as you come out of the desktop, you get this product ID crisis (Before you ask, this image is straight from 1964):

If you were a newbie to the whole beta scene, I'm pretty sure you'd have no idea that the two screenshots above belong to the same build.

* This build has the same characteristics as 1965 *snip*
AFAIK, there shall be some client builds between 1911 and 1946 that call themselves "Windows NT 2000". I hope one of them will be leaked soon.

And, to install it in VPC, use a Windows 98 bootdisk(which includes smartdrv), go to R:\i386(before you ask, the CD drive letter in that bootdisk is R: not D: ,so that's not a typo)and type winnt. Before doing that, partition and format the HDD and use lock C:\ and run smartdrv.exe from A:.

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

ovctvct wrote: AFAIK, there shall be some client builds between 1911 and 1946 that call themselves "Windows NT 2000". I hope one of them will be leaked soon.

And, to install it in VPC, use a Windows 98 bootdisk(which includes smartdrv), go to R:\i386(before you ask, the CD drive letter in that bootdisk is R: not D: ,so that's not a typo)and type winnt. Before doing that, partition and format the HDD and use lock C:\ and run smartdrv.exe from A:.
Again, no VPC, so I can't get decisive evidence.
Offtopic Comment
Also, I know that 1911 is already early Beta 3 stage (only NT 5 though), and at least one 193x build was on the interwebs back in 1998/9. (I'm pretty sure it was build 1934)
Here's a few quick facts about 2020, since I can't get a screenshot:

* RTM startup and shutdown sounds added.

* Help UI updated a little.

* Adds setup behaviour of 'El Fustrato' (AKA build 2031 to normal people).

* Otherwise, it's completely unremarkable.

ovctvct
FTP Access

Post by ovctvct »

Well, my OS(8 Pro) doesn't support VPC either, so I used a fixed version I found here(can't get the link yet).

About 2020, tried using Print Screen and then mspaint to make the screenshot and cut the rest of the screenshot?

Courage
FTP Access

Post by Courage »

ovctvct wrote:Well, my OS(8 Pro) doesn't support VPC either, so I used a fixed version I found here(can't get the link yet).

About 2020, tried using Print Screen and then mspaint to make the screenshot and cut the rest of the screenshot?
Even if you fix it, it still hangs on Nvidia graphics cards, which my computer has. Also, I couldn't take 2020's screenshot because I could only manage to install it on my laptop (which has 10147 on it, so no VPC there either.)

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

Well, that's the sad truth about VPC. While it's compact, handy and works with many Windows builds, it's severely dated and doesn't even work on Windows 8 and later without modifications. And WVPC is a total lackluster IMO, but we really need something modern that's VPC-like or VPC-compatible.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks