BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 23h, 9m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5343MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.        Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:51 pm 

Favourite OS
SP3
Hey, I have a set of floppy disks that have garbage written over the logos in sharpie.
The floppies are printed like the ones below, so they don't have write in labels. I heard that rubbing alcohol can remove sharpie, is this true for my case?

ps I may or may not of wrote that on them a very very very long time ago

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.        Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:59 pm 
Administrator

If you rub alcohol on paper tags then you will destroy the labels. Unfortunately there's not much you can do here... if it's on plastic discs you can always use alcohol to remove it, but not on paper labels. The best we can do is photoshop it out, but that's always difficult as well.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.        Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:10 pm 

Favourite OS
SP3
mrpijey wrote:
If you rub alcohol on paper tags then you will destroy the labels. Unfortunately there's not much you can do here... if it's on plastic discs you can always use alcohol to remove it, but not on paper labels. The best we can do is photoshop it out, but that's always difficult as well.

I do have some skills in Photoshop fortunately so that wouldn't be a issue. Thanks for the response!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.        Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:58 am 
FTP Access

This won't help you with labels, but here's a bit of background info: Alcohol is used to solve (most of) the ink so it can be wiped away. In cases where alcohol is too weak, melamine foam ("Magic Eraser") often works wonders. But like alcohol, that too is for superficial stains (e.g. on plastic) only, too - it works like really fine sandpaper, basically (so maybe better don't try it on rare/expensive optical discs). With paper labels though, unfortunately the ink soaks deep into the material and won't really come out either way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.        Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:27 am 

Favourite OS
7delta wrote:
mrpijey wrote:

I do have some skills in Photoshop fortunately so that wouldn't be a issue. Thanks for the response!

I can do it when i get some free time im good at photoshop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.        Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
My first thought was some variant of acetone. I found the link below which is a much more well thought out plan for removing permanent marker with Acetone. Hope it helps.

Quote:
I used pure acetone (its an ingredient of fingernail polish) and a Q-tip. I got most of the color out doing this. Then to get out areas with concentrated ink saturation: wait for the acetone on the paper to mostly dry, put a little bit of white out over the stubborn spot, and then use a Q-tip soaked in acetone to gently wipe off the white out. The ink should come out as well. Just be careful you do not get the paper so saturated that it starts to peel

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf153383.tip.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.        Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3
That would probably make the paper all wrinkly or something. Using Photoshop would be less of a hassle.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:54 pm 

Favourite OS
Longhorn, Whistler 2428, XP, 7
Offtopic Comment
Be careful, they might be creepypasta discs! :P

Ya, it would be better to photoshop it out. Rubbing it with alcohol might have bad consequences.

Top  Profile