Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
GL1zdA
FTP Access

Re: Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software

Post by GL1zdA »

sdawncl wrote:Also I suggest avoiding the use of ImgBurn to dump disk images. As I have noticed images dumped by ImgBurn have their ISO9660 Volume Descriptor modified by ImgBurn. As collectors know, Microsoft released original ISO always have the Application Identifier field in the Volume Descriptor set to "CDImage X.XX (MM/DD/YYYY) TM" This field was modified by ImgBurn to " ImgBurn X.X.XX" So for archive purposes ImgBurn should not be used.
I use ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 and it never dumped modified ISOs. And I check such things since I had to redump CDs after UltraISO stamped itself in the identifier fields.

thunderbird32
FTP Access

Post by thunderbird32 »

Is there any native Linux tool that is considered acceptable for dumping CDs? My Windows box went belly-up over the weekend, and I'm stuck using my Linux system as my primary PC until it's fixed. This could be a while depending on my financial situation.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Linux supports virtualization software. Install that, install a Windows version of your choosing and use that for dumping discs. Not difficult at all.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

claunia
FTP Access

Post by claunia »

thunderbird32 wrote:Is there any native Linux tool that is considered acceptable for dumping CDs? My Windows box went belly-up over the weekend, and I'm stuck using my Linux system as my primary PC until it's fixed. This could be a while depending on my financial situation.
You can use my tool for single-track CDs or any DVD, HDD, USB drive. Unless mrpijey has something against it (if so, tell me what to solve it :p).

Multi-track CDs dumping is currently buggy, I'm working on it.

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 72&t=36078

Storm
FTP Access

Post by Storm »

I've been using Alcohol 120% for quite awhile now. It gets the job done well.
I tried using Daemon-Tools for a while, and I really didn't like its interface.

eightbit
FTP Access

Post by eightbit »

I rarely ever use Alcohol 120% these days. CloneCD works fine for just about everything. The only thing I use Alcohol for on occasion is for its DiscJuggler (CDI image) compatibility.

WwOS

Post by WwOS »

thunderbird32 wrote:Is there any native Linux tool that is considered acceptable for dumping CDs? My Windows box went belly-up over the weekend, and I'm stuck using my Linux system as my primary PC until it's fixed. This could be a while depending on my financial situation.
I was thinking the same thing. I think there is: cdrdao.
CDRDAO – Disk-At-Once Recording of Audio and Data CD-Rs/CD-RWs wrote:Features
  • Full control over length and contents of pre-gaps (pause areas between tracks). Pre-gaps may be completely omitted, e.g. for dividing live recordings into tracks.
  • Control over sub-channel data like:
    • catalog number
    • copy, pre-emphasis, 2-/4-channel flags
    • ISRC code
    • index marks
  • Support for exact audio, data and mixed mode CD copying.
  • Support for R-W sub-channel writing.
  • Tracks may be composed of different audio files supporting non destructive cut.
  • Accepts WAVE and raw audio files.
  • CD-TEXT reading and writing with drives that support it.
  • CDDB access to automatically create CD-TEXT data.
  • Support for on-the-fly copying
I also found this Wiki entry for Openpandora: https://pandorawiki.org/Creating_images ... sing_Linux

For non-copy protected discs I would simply use dd.

It all greatly depends on the target system. You could safe an original disc (or any other storage device) into a file that does everything right, but then find yourself unable to use this format on the system where this preserved copy would work. Thus, if you perserve software for Windows, use a Windows program. If you preserve it for the Macintosh, use a program for this specific version of Macintosh so that users can actually do something with it on the target system.

That said, on Mac OS X I use hdiutil to produce the equivalent of an ISO file. It will be a DMG file, zlib-compressed (UDZO) when it is for Mac OS X 10.1 and later. This will not work with classic Mac OS, because then the file format would have to be different (like .toast or so).

Everything I wrote is different when you want to use it with an emulator. Taking the DMG example: an uncompressed ISO file may be better suited in such a case. Luckily there is a converter available, at least on Linux (dmg2iso).

[UPDATE] To answer your question more precisely: I think™ that cdrdao does create bin/cue files that can be used on Windows by free tools, so if you use cdrdao on Linux to create the copy you should be safe for Windows programs.

It would be great if anyone with more recent experience could confirm this.

Additionally I'd like to stress that it absoluetly makes no sense at all to keep a bin/cue of a disc that does not use any subchannel information at all, i.e. where the copy protection not is a physically stored information on the disc. So if you see that the cue file is empty except for the data, you might as well make a simple ISO file instead.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

DiscImageChef runs just fine on Linux (using Mono), and it can dump CDs and DVDs to ISO, bin+cue and mdf+mds and more...
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA