BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 4h, 41m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5812MB of 11997MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software        Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
sdawncl wrote:
Also I suggest avoiding the use of ImgBurn to dump disk images. As I have noticed images dumped by ImgBurn have their ISO9660 Volume Descriptor modified by ImgBurn. As collectors know, Microsoft released original ISO always have the Application Identifier field in the Volume Descriptor set to "CDImage X.XX (MM/DD/YYYY) TM" This field was modified by ImgBurn to " ImgBurn X.X.XX" So for archive purposes ImgBurn should not be used.

I use ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 and it never dumped modified ISOs. And I check such things since I had to redump CDs after UltraISO stamped itself in the identifier fields.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software        Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
IBM OS/2 2.11
Is there any native Linux tool that is considered acceptable for dumping CDs? My Windows box went belly-up over the weekend, and I'm stuck using my Linux system as my primary PC until it's fixed. This could be a while depending on my financial situation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software        Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:50 pm 
Administrator

Linux supports virtualization software. Install that, install a Windows version of your choosing and use that for dumping discs. Not difficult at all.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software        Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4
thunderbird32 wrote:
Is there any native Linux tool that is considered acceptable for dumping CDs? My Windows box went belly-up over the weekend, and I'm stuck using my Linux system as my primary PC until it's fixed. This could be a while depending on my financial situation.

You can use my tool for single-track CDs or any DVD, HDD, USB drive. Unless mrpijey has something against it (if so, tell me what to solve it :p).

Multi-track CDs dumping is currently buggy, I'm working on it.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=36078

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software        Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000 SP4
I've been using Alcohol 120% for quite awhile now. It gets the job done well.
I tried using Daemon-Tools for a while, and I really didn't like its interface.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software        Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98SE
I rarely ever use Alcohol 120% these days. CloneCD works fine for just about everything. The only thing I use Alcohol for on occasion is for its DiscJuggler (CDI image) compatibility.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software        Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:58 am 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.4.11
thunderbird32 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I think there is: cdrdao.

CDRDAO – Disk-At-Once Recording of Audio and Data CD-Rs/CD-RWs wrote:
Features
  • Full control over length and contents of pre-gaps (pause areas between tracks). Pre-gaps may be completely omitted, e.g. for dividing live recordings into tracks.
  • Control over sub-channel data like:
    • catalog number
    • copy, pre-emphasis, 2-/4-channel flags
    • ISRC code
    • index marks
  • Support for exact audio, data and mixed mode CD copying.
  • Support for R-W sub-channel writing.
  • Tracks may be composed of different audio files supporting non destructive cut.
  • Accepts WAVE and raw audio files.
  • CD-TEXT reading and writing with drives that support it.
  • CDDB access to automatically create CD-TEXT data.
  • Support for on-the-fly copying

I also found this Wiki entry for Openpandora: https://pandorawiki.org/Creating_images ... sing_Linux

For non-copy protected discs I would simply use dd.

It all greatly depends on the target system. You could safe an original disc (or any other storage device) into a file that does everything right, but then find yourself unable to use this format on the system where this preserved copy would work. Thus, if you perserve software for Windows, use a Windows program. If you preserve it for the Macintosh, use a program for this specific version of Macintosh so that users can actually do something with it on the target system.

That said, on Mac OS X I use hdiutil to produce the equivalent of an ISO file. It will be a DMG file, zlib-compressed (UDZO) when it is for Mac OS X 10.1 and later. This will not work with classic Mac OS, because then the file format would have to be different (like .toast or so).

Everything I wrote is different when you want to use it with an emulator. Taking the DMG example: an uncompressed ISO file may be better suited in such a case. Luckily there is a converter available, at least on Linux (dmg2iso).

[UPDATE] To answer your question more precisely: I think™ that cdrdao does create bin/cue files that can be used on Windows by free tools, so if you use cdrdao on Linux to create the copy you should be safe for Windows programs.

It would be great if anyone with more recent experience could confirm this.

Additionally I'd like to stress that it absoluetly makes no sense at all to keep a bin/cue of a disc that does not use any subchannel information at all, i.e. where the copy protection not is a physically stored information on the disc. So if you see that the cue file is empty except for the data, you might as well make a simple ISO file instead.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Evaluation of CD/DVD imaging software        Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
thunderbird32 wrote:

DiscImageChef runs just fine on Linux (using Mono), and it can dump CDs and DVDs to ISO, bin+cue and mdf+mds and more...

Top  Profile