BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 23h, 22m | CPU: 17% | MEM: 5321MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
gus33000 wrote:
I just finished testing the whole set of NT 4 Beta builds (Including TSE) and they all install correctly with the latest release of WDPSL.
Some might not boot up into txtsetup, look into "Apply Build Specific Patches -> NT 4 Betas Boot Fix" in the main menu of the bootdisk.

Now that NT 3.1 and NT 4 are fully tested, I will start to check all NT 5 builds (And possibly create some automated fixes for them). (Since there are more NT 5 Builds than NT 4 it will take some time).

Nice job! Also, good luck testing all of the NT 5 builds, some of them are rather picky. *cough*5.0.1671/2031*cough*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:44 am 
FTP Access

Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Favourite OS
Courage wrote:
Nice job! Also, good luck testing all of the NT 5 builds, some of them are rather picky. *cough*5.0.1671/2031*cough*

I have already installed pretty much all the builds in the past, so I have a little bit of experience on what emulator to choose. So this should not be a problem. I have always like the Windows 2000 Developement, and Windows 2000 istelf.

I have to say that I love to install NT5 Betas (<- That's sarcasm) :

Edit : That's better :

DiskingRound wrote:
This is some awesome stuff. By the way are there any plans to add support for the older DOS-based versions of Windows (1.0x, 2.x, 3.x) to apply fixes for them and install them? If not then I'll try to make my own Windows DPSL packet which includes support for the oldest versions of Windows. Thanks gus33000 for this excellent tool!

That's planned, the only problem is how to do it, since you need to tell setup to install to the c drive which should contain a DOS OS, then you need to copy all WDPSL files into a ramdrive because switching disks would be a nightmare. And because you need a ramdrive, you need at a minimum 6MB of ram, which is not recommended for these betas, so I don't know. If you want to do one, you can or if you want to help me make one you can too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Status Update :

Build 1515 installs correctly
Build 1585 installs only correctly in VPC, for other virtualisators do an upgrade from 1515 by launching
Code:
<CD Drive Letter>:\i386\autorun.exe

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Were you able to install 1671 and 2031 in VPC or VMware in the past? For 2031, only PCem worked. The rest had CPU problems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I got those too installed on qemu if I remember correctly. The problem with qemu is the lack of support for display drivers. I will into the problem with VMware and VBox.

And I think I got 1671 to work under both Vmware and VBox.

Edit : Build 1671 owned :

Edit:
Current Status :

Build 1515 passed all tests Successfully
Build 1585 Failed 1/2 tests (Installation from DOS is impossible, Installation from previous build is possible)
Build 1671 passed all tests Successfully
Build 1691 passed all tests Successfully Link
Build 1729 passed all tests Successfully

Edit :

Introducing to you :

WDPSL Sideloaded edition

Featuring :

Faster access (thanks to some new tools)
Low memory usage (thanks to a ramdisk driver which doesn't consume much)
The ability to remove the floppy from the computer.
Uses a simple 1.44 MB floppy (compared to the unregular 2.88MB we use currently)
Still load fast thanks to MS own tools

Current memory usage : 9MB, looking into reducing that :p

Edit : Don't like DOS for exploring / copying / moving files ? (In drives that are formated with FAT, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT 3 ?)

Now includes Windows File explorer still on a single floppy.

Edit : WDPSL v8 build 24 released at : http://wdpsl.gus33000.site40.net/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Status Update :

I have now automated the creation of the *.ima files, so if you find something weird in the image report it. Now, I use the great uha compression format, which is the best among the one I tested. So the space taken by the floppy is a little bit less than before. However I'm still looking to reduce the size by replacing the utilities inside the utils folder by ones which are less in size.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Bart PE has a neat utility BFI which you can build floppy disks with root directory + bootsector specified on the command line. It's called BFI. The floppy disk i provided was built with that utility, with a magic boot-to-c bootsector, for example. Because you leave the diskette in the drive and reboot.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Thanks for the tip about bfi, but could you reupload the disk you sended to me as it seems that it doesn't exist anymore :
http://www.os2fan2.com/tmp/msdos711.dsk (404 error)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
http://www.os2fan2.com/tmp/msdos711.rar is MS-DOS 7.10.2400
http://www.os2fan2.com/tmp/msdos631.rar is deversioned msdos 6.22

Both are single diskettes, and only have the DOS stuff. You have to expandd some of the files, but that's on there too.

When winter comes, i plan to look closer at this stuff. Summer brings the heat, and penning, poor dear, is not fond of the heat.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WDPSL v8 Build 27 released at http://wdpsl.gus33000.site40.net/

Including :
A world exploit in the dpmi departement. :D

Full changelog :
Code:
Technical Changelog :

REMOVED: DOSKEY
REMOVED: HDPMI32
REMOVED: TICKLE
REMOVED: SCREEN CACHE
UPDATED: IFS Driver

Global Changelog :

ADDED: You can now run 9x Setup alongside the NTFS/EXT2/EXT3 Driver ! Enjoy :D

(You can now run DPMI dependent programs such as win.com from 3.x without problems with the dpmi host
Did you ever tried to make a Win3.11 Boot Floppy with a DPMI program running and getting the Win3.1 OS to run in protected 386 mode ? With what I have successfully done it is now possible)

I still need to update the DOS Version through.

I'm considering to separate the project in two parts : WDPSL for WinSetup and DOSUT for everything NTFS,EXT2,EXT3,JOILET,DOSLFN support.

The NTFS,EXT2,EXT3 driver consume only 14K of memory with one NTFS drive.

The power of this NTFS driver :

This is a 25GB Hard-disk with Vista on it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Long file name support + NTFS/ext2/ext3 Support + Vista 25GB hard-disk + Windows File manager. Anyone ? :)

All of that thanks to the DPMI Exploit.

WDPSL v8 Build 28 Released at http://wdpsl.gus33000.site40.net/

Changelog :

Code:
Readded: DOSLFN - Added: LFN support to the winfile.exe gui.

Funny thing :

You can install chicago from the Mini Windows Included in the bootdisk

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Status Update :

I'm currently working on the partition management gui, for selecting on which drive should Windows be installed and creating partitions. This post will be regularly updated with new screenshots, as I build the feature.

2015-04-04

[youtube2]http://youtu.be/yNtS4CXr8vU[/youtube2]

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Status Update (2015-04-15) : (Thanks to the ftp, now my date stamps style has changed :/)

Many probably noticed the website was down. This does not mean I cancelling this project. In fact I didn't know myself the website had expired. The website is currently being moved to a new location, with a bug tracker included so don't panic and wait. This post will be updated once the process is finished.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Status Update (2015-04-18) :

Update your bookmarks :) : http://gus33000.zz.mu/
Not completely finished, but the minimum is working.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Another exploit by the WDPSL Project :

Introducing Chicago 73f (The most non installable build in vbox without problems) in Virtual-box fully working and with sound. Coming Soon.

Currently testing 58s

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Status Update (2015-04-19 Early Morning) :

Some of you have noticed that I posted a topic about how-to fix Chicago 58s in VBox (or VMware with the KRNL386.EXE Error). Previously when you installed Chicago 58s with this bootdisk you got into a long copy process and when setup finished, you got that error. Now I included this new fix into the bootdisk and revamped the setup process so now copying the setup files to the hard-disk is no longer a necessary thing. You can see how the setup process looks like in the video below. The newer version of the bootdisk will be released later this day. Keep an eye on http://gus33000.zz.mu/WDPSL-Downloads/

[youtube2]http://youtu.be/q3pkWAkJsjY[/youtube2]

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:44 am 

Amazing project, This seems useful and am going to try it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
As I'm restarting to work on this project, I'm publishing a new Bug Fix Update for you guys.

Code:
Bug fix update :

Build Number: 8.0.10037.0.fbl_gus33000.150529-0826

File: WNTDPSL-8.0.10037.0.fbl_gus33000.150529-0826.img
      CRC-32: be3b0533
         MD4: 42de3583b471fcefc6e7f46b3d6e7877
         MD5: 248df4759fb504f851c14b35c6ff2aa8
       SHA-1: cbee700d6e09f25dee9c871ed60be2fa90096536

Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!zYYBiRCJ!kXU-f_bzRlqu5NCTAX3-zOFTxmKEgdD2BLdQvx-Yb10

This update is not pushed to the website as I need to implement the new build string system.
This update mostly fixes the Disk Partitioner and make the floppy even lighter than before for VPC support.

Also for the peoples who track build numbers, this is the list of builds made today :

A little Q&A :

Q: Why making a new build system for your project ?
A: The reason is simple, when you do some massive changes and you can't remember what you changed that broke everything, builds which are saved based on the time are handy, so they are not overwritten and you can easily see what you changed. Of course this doesn't work if you build a build just after 10052 lines changed.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- gus33000: Would it be possible to have the source code? That way, a PC-98 port could be made which would be very useful when installing OS'es for PC-98 under emulation. :p

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Battler wrote:
- gus33000: Would it be possible to have the source code? That way, a PC-98 port could be made which would be very useful when installing OS'es for PC-98 under emulation. :p

Well many of the executable source code is available on the internet already except for ndos and gdisk, ndos is not really important as it provides ntfs read/write support, however gdisk is a key part of this bootdisk, as it can create specific partition types on MS-DOS 7. So I don't think you will manage to port it. But you can always try. Suscr.exe is not really important too, as it only provides the nice blue setup background. If you need help for knowing what executable does what, you can ask me.

As a side note, I may restart working on this project more this summer, as I'm busy at the moment with recreating ISO of betas (some betas have terrible and badly dumped isos) and working on other projects such as my fork of esd-decrypter which needs some work.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2222A
@gus33000
You may want to update the first post; it currently lists the old URL for the project. ;)

Top  Profile