BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 23h, 11m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5346MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:20 am 
FTP Access

Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Favourite OS
So it seems that their are problems with the partitioning tool that I use :

PCem doesn't like it, complains about some bad tracks on the disk but it works however.
Windows NT build 328 does not like the formatting scheme of the tool if I specify a drive label, but it can be fixed by using the regular format.com.

Edit : But after a few hours it works well, just need to find a workaround for the inifile problem :

This is not what you think, but maybe it is.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
The reason i suggest having a path option, say in the INI file is that you can have four or five different versions of Windows on the same diskette.

The usual home-spin for Windows 9x retail, has Windows 3.11, Wfw 3.11, Win95, Win98 and WinME, and a good deal of the support directories (except the drivers, and some adware), because there are programs like 98lite and 98toME, which expect these files to be in the same position as the retail disks. [It has a lot of other stuff, and like my K8668 Windows 3.1, is a project that has matured over many iterations.]

If you are putting the stuff on a floppy, you could variously do things like have a special INI file for each version of windows on the disk, along with the local INF file on the floppy.

One possibility for having multiple operating systems on the same floppy (and cdrom), is that you could have directories on the floppy diskette, with different files for each OS to install. The WDPSL program would then search each directory for an WDPSL.INI file, and use other files from the same directory.

So, for example, suppose i have six directories on the floppy, including DOS, VPC, UTL, etc. There are also eg 0950, 1386, 2195, 2222, and 3000. Each of these contain a WDPSL.INI file, along with other non-cdrom files particular for that OS, eg setup.inf.

Code:
[Windows]
title=Windows 98 - default install
SourcePath=\win98    ;  source files on cdrom:\win98
Copytoroot=setup.inf   ; copy from a:\2222\setup.inf to c:\

[Unattended]
choice=0 ; Preselect the mode of operation [0 Ask user; 1 Load NT DVD; 2 Load NT + Copy Setup into HD; 3 Load 9x Mode; 4 Reboot straight away <- useless but meh; 5 go to dos prompt]
autoreboot=0 ; Auto reboot without asking [1 for Yes; 0 for No]
skpwelc=0 ; Skip Welcome Screen [1 for Yes; 0 for No]
wrnmsg=1 ; Shows 9x Disclaimer Messages [1 for Yes; 0 for No]

When it searches the immediate directories under the directory it's launched from (ie a:\, it finds these files in the immediate sub-directories. These are used to build the menu. It checks the path given in the INI files against the cdrom etc, (support for other devices, eg hard drive), and then installs.

The titles would come from the wdpsl.ini file [Windows]title, the path to search would come from the SourcePath directive. It searches the named directory. If the system can't find it in the named directory, the user is invited to type in the appropriate directory, which is then searched for. This allows one to install from a hard drive or network location (eg by fshare in VPC). Specifying a drive in SourcePath will search that drive location only, which bypasses the cdrom test (eg for testing on VPC). eg sourcepath=k:\i386 would activate the selected windows.

Code:
    +------------------------+
    |  Windows 95            |        0950\wdpsl.ini   s:\win95
    |  Windows NT            |        1386\wdpsl.ini   s:\i386    not found
    |  Windows 2000          |        2195\wdpsl.ini   s:\i386    not found
    |  Windows 98 - default  |        2222\wdspl.ini   s:\win98
    |  Windows 98 - custom   |        2223\wdspl.ini   s:\win98
    |  Windows ME            |        3000\wdspl.ini   s:\win9x
    +------------------------+

Here the floppy disk services three different cdroms, there are three copies of windows on the currently loaded disk, and one of these has two different install modes (Win98 in custom and default mode).

The user then selects from this menu which one is to be run, and it processes the files, and tells the installer to run with the appropriate winnt.sif or setup.inf. Note because these files are installed in separate directories on the floppy, and it knows what directory to load from, it can use these.

One might want to do things like copy files to the hard drive, and support alternate setup commands, which would allow 98lite to be used as an alternate to the standard setup. For this, the user would set setupcmd= to the desired result.

If you use MS-DOS 7.1 from Win98 or later, you can make use of the jo.sys file. This redirects the second reboot to the hard drive automatically. There's a freeware version at bartpe.nu It's a replacement for the win98 one, but tells you to boot from floppy or hard disk.

I'm not sure if this is in your wick, but the Windows 95 opk setup has a proggie called tcopy, which is a tree-copy program, but takes much less switches to work than xcopy, and is more generic. It could be used to copy files from the floppy disk to the cdrom to land in the right place, eg tcopy a:\2222 c:\ would copy everything from a:\2222 to the c disk, including, say, operative autoexec.bat and config.sys, if needed. For these, i use a compiled syscopy.com, which copies and touches these files from, eg 2222.ba_ and 2222.sy_.

If the various options for things like formatting etc are to be added, this could be done from, eg a different cdrom, with various disk-prepare utilities on it, and some sort of wdp.ini used to select these, eg As before, you can do non-install things here, such as reactivate a windows NT boot loader (ntldr), which could be installed from the cdrom, eg

Code:
[Menu]
Exit = @Exit   ;  default is to not do any of this: it's an active select
AirBoot= Install/Reactivate Air-boot Manager
PM5=Partition Magic 5
FFD=Free FDisk
GDisk=Gdisk

[FFD]
; ffdisk is on the cdrom
chdir=a:\dos
cmd=ffdisk.com   
params=   ...

[PM5]
; Partition Magic is on a utility cdrom
chdir = \pmagic5
cmd = pm.exe
params = ....

[AirBoot]
; Airboot is on the diskette
chdir=a:\
cmd=airboot.com
params=c:\ ...

[ntldr]
copy=a:\ntldr\*.*
chdir=a:\
cmd=fixboot.exe
params=....

Last edited by os2fan2 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I think, I can implement that, this is a good idea that you got, I'll see what I can do. And thanks for the tip of tcopy, this would make things a lot easier.

Edit : I did planned to rewrote some parts of the script, so this will be handy for that.

Edit 2 : There is the inifile program that I searched for many months, huge thanks for the tip about the OPK !

Edit 3 : You just make me think about some other idea, sadly I can't work on it right now as I'm moving for the afternoon. But except something tomorrow.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Me again. Sorry to pester you. :(

This is the sort of thing i do when i write scripts. Try and fetch as many different kinds of user experiences into the same project, by writing how you might set msdos and windows 3.1 etc from a cdrom. These can all be done largely by creating a command line based on a particular directory. But you might install files simply by copying the stuff across rather than setting it up. So code is needed to simply start up a batch file.

I've selected a number of external utilities, because people who are interested in this sort of stuff generally find these sorts of things useful as well. So i use things like shutdown.com, rather than doing it internally.

On the other hand, the way i am suggesting allows the user to tweak and save the setup information between installs, and each directory is a separate 'project', so you can learn about different programs from the same interface. You can install, eg DOS and Windows as a pre-setup through the same menu. On the other hand, much of this is done through very few commands in the actual program, which generally extends its utility. You could even use it to set up DOS proggies off the cdrom, say from a separate diskette, like WP or civilisation.

The number of projects could be limited to 20 per diskette, which sounds reasonable, unless you plan for a scroll box. Since not everyone has diskettes, you could use drive 0: relative to the program itself (ie the projects are subdirectories to the application, and the common menu is concurrent with the program).

Here is an interesting approach if you want the program to be 'user-friendly'. The setup is evidently collecting information from the user to start an unattended install, but if the user is supposed to read the options at install time, these could be saved too. In other words, you could run the program and save current settings to a new ini file, or edit an existing INI file to meet new changes. This would squeeze the documentation on the screen at runtime.

Code:
   +--------[Inatall Mode--------------------
   | 0   Ask User
     1   Load NT DVD
     2   Load NT + Copy Setup into HD;
   > 3   Load 9x Mode; <
     4   Reboot straight away <- useless but meh
     5   go to dos prompt

Status Line  choice=3

+----------[Autoreboot]
    Auto reboot without asking [1 for Yes; 0 for No]
     0    No
   > 1    Yes <

Status Line[  Autoreboot=1       ]

The trick used in Windows is that the default value is always zero, and you ask the question in the negative if you want the Yes to be default. The status line would show the current INI setting, with the current command.

The crux of the suggestion here is that the user could set the INI settings from here, and save these to an INI file on the floppy disk. This is something i really wished setup files could do: run through the options, and just save the stuff to an INI file.

Because of what is suggested earlier, the general INI files would be saved with the program, and the 'project' ini files would be saved in subdirectories, eg \MYBETA\WDPSL.INI,

Here is a possible sample INI files to launch setup for MS-DOS and Windows 3.11. These might be useful for installing betas as well. Note the Windows 3.11 directory can contain other files too.

Code:
file = msdos\wdpsl.ini
[Windows]
Title=MS-DOS
SourcePath=\WIN31\MSDOS622
Chdir=\win31\mdos622
setupexe=setup.exe
params=/G

file = win311\wdpsl.ini
[Windows]
Title=Windows 3.1
SourcePath=\WIN31\Win311
Chdir=\win31\win311
setupexe=setup.exe
reboot=exittodos
params=/O:a:\win31\setup.inf /h:a:\win31\setup.shh
; setup.shh is the options for the installation file, ie the answer question to setup
; setup.inf is an entirely different animal, but you can keep a custom file on the floppy disk.

file = dos710\wdspl.ini
[Windows]
SourceDrive=h:   ;  this might be used when preparing the cdrom, can be commeted out with ;
SourcePath=\msdos7
setupexe=winboot.sys  ; this is so the program can verify the program exists
cmd=0:\dos710\setup.bat ;  cmd is run over setupexe.
params=%wsrcdir% %wtgt%\mdos70 %wtgt%\temp

; accumulated options.  the wdpsl.ini file in the same directory as the proggie could be ignored and used as docs.
[Windows]
Title=(command shown in select install option)
SourceDrive=drive (search these drives only)  eg  SourceDrive=h: k: s: l:  (default = cdrom)  sets wsrc, 1:
SourcePath=path. (no drive)  ; use %wdrv%\%wsrc% for full path.
TargetDrive=drive (allows for files not on c:\)  sets wtgt ; 2:
Chdir=directory you would change to before running setup, usually = sourcepath   [cdd]
setupexe=name of exefile to run or find, usually in sourcepath, and to verify sourcepath.
cmd=command to run (may be a batch file or a different preloader, like 98lite.exe) default = setupexe
params=options pass to proggie, after 0:, 1:, 2: have been changed. 
reboot=shutdown/restart/exittodos (can be done with the shutdown.com command)
treecopy=directory in project to directory to targetdrive root (treecopy 2222\drivers e:\  if targetdrive=e:\drivers
copytoroot=file,...   (i think mcopy can handle this)

Setting SourceDrive allows one to use something like vpc's fshare for a 'network install', or to install things
already on the hard drive.  This is exactly the same commands used in Windows NT setup.sif files.

Metadrives:
(replace these in commands, and could use something like 'change' to update installed files if needed.)
0: = directory where wdpsl.exe is stored (ie relative to the program)
1: = SourceDrive set if specified or if the path is found.  (ie if \i386 is on the cdrom s:, 1: = s:)
2: = TargetDrive if specified 

Useful DOS utilities that might be used.  These could go in the DOS directory, or in the path.  Note you could include in the common menu, things like an editor etc, eg MS-DOS 7 Editor -  c: + edit.com

cdd.com       change drive and directory  cf winnt cd /d  [Chdir]
   change.com    change strings in a file   gsar.exe could be used here [0: to a:  and so forth]
   jo.sys        Pass next boot to next bootable cdrom eg BartPe [floppy reboot]
   mcopy.exe     moves multiple files to a directory [CopytoRoot]
   shutdown      Shutdown/Reboot the computer. [Reboot]
   tcopy.exe     copy dir and subdirs to dir and subdirs [TreeCopy]

If you did not want to implement a 'create new project' mode, you could suggest the user create a directory with the necessary file(s) including a wdpsl.ini, with the [Windows] section filled out. This could be loaded (with the source files available), and the program could select from WinNT, Win9x, OtherOS, Application, based on the source, and present the appropriate screens. The user *could* if the option was set wrong, select a different option. Saving the settings would update the current wdpsl.ini.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Everything has its debuts : (WIP)

Figured out how to get everything working for inifile parser and decoder.

Edit :

Edit 2 : Parser Finished.

Last edited by gus33000 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Can you provide me those utilities ? I don't seem to be able to find them.

Code:
   cdd.com       change drive and directory  cf winnt cd /d  [Chdir]
   change.com    change strings in a file   gsar.exe could be used here [0: to a:  and so forth]
   mcopy.exe     moves multiple files to a directory [CopytoRoot]
   shutdown      Shutdown/Reboot the computer. [Reboot]
   tcopy.exe     copy dir and subdirs to dir and subdirs [TreeCopy]

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
I've been playing around with story boards for this program. This is just a possible markup of screens and how the user might interact with them. But it's in the mind still. Something like this.

Code:

Screen 1. 

+---------------------
   | 1.  Hard Disk - Prepare and Repair
   | 2.  Install an Operating Sytem
   | 4.  Common Settings
   | 5.  Exit to DOS.
   +----------------------]

F3  Exit 

Screen 1.1.

+--[ Prepare and Repair Menu ]-------
   | options.  eg ffdisk
   | options.  eg airboot
   +------[return]------------------------------

These are external utilities driven from an INI file.

Screen 1.2

+--[Select an Operating System]----------
   |  MS-DOS 6.22
   |  PC-DOS 7.00   
   |  OS/2 2.11
   |  Windows 3.1
   |  Windows 98
   |  Windows NT 4.0 beta 3
   +-------[new operating system]-------
   +---------[return]-------------------

Each of these has its own 'project folder', where there
       is an own INI file in the directory, eg pc700\wdpsl.ini

Screen 1.4.

+---[Common Settings]------------
   | UserName             Wendy Krieger
   | organisation         www.os2fan,com
   | CDName               K8226            (default cd to ask for.
   |
   +-------[return]--------------------------
      These are defaults that can be changed on a project basis

Screen 1.2.2

+----[ Install DOS - PC-DOS 7.00 ]------
   |  Install mode  -     use setup
   |
   +----------[Different Section] 
   +--------[Save these settings]--------
   +----------[Install this OS]----------
   +------------[Return]-----------------
       Different section allows you to have a local 'common settings'
       or the basic setup screen.

Section 1,2.2.1

+-------[ Install Mode ]----------
   |  Use setup
   |  Copy and expand files
   |  Manual Install
   +---------[return]----------------

This changes the InstallMode for a DOS os.

Section 1.5

+-----[ Install Win9x - Windows 98 ]-----
   |  (windows 98 options etc)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
The Knowledge

How to install an operating system from a cdrom. In essence, this information is used to prepare the possible install options for the various OS disk-to-installed options,.

MS/PC-DOS

Setup runs for upgrades, but you can't use it for Base installs, or if setup is not found. In this case, we use dossetup.bat, along with expandd.exe (win3.11 expand), a series of renames, mcopy, and a utility to fix the boot sector. IBM has some sort of network setup USETUP.EXE that allows one to set options.

This was very heavily used under the MSDOS 6.30 project to extact files,

I'm not sure what Battler's setup does, but it could be prolly used as a 'remote setup' if it is not tied to a particular DOS version. Battler is supposed to have an alternate expand/compress, which could be used somewhere.

PC-DOS 7 uses IBM's pack2 files, which expandd does not handle. Setup works ok.

OS/2

OS2 2 and 3 do not support IDE cdroms directly, but we can prepare the install on the hard drive, and prepare the config.sys to do this. Since OS/2 can be supplied in diskette images, we can use os2hdd.exe to set this up. OS/2 also has some answer files which we could store and copy from the project directory.

There seems to be no variations between the OS's so all work the same way.

Have to watch out for savedskf format files. These are tricky to extract in DOS.

Windows 3.x

Windows 3.x has a number of setup files which can be customised in the project file. These can be passed to setup by way of switches. setup.shh is the default answer file, setup.inf is the default install base.

Windows 95

Windows NT

USEFUL UTILITIES

extract2 : A utility to extract floppy diskette to a directory
os2hdd: Extract files in floppy to dir\label\ where label is the diskette label
dskimage: What i use to read/write floppy diskette images.

POSSIBLE CMDLINE OPTIONS
---------------------------------

Running wpdsl [/i project dir] would launch the default way.
1. Options in the [prepare and repair] menu are not used.
2. Options in the [common] and project\wpdsl.ini are prepared and run.

What this happens is like selecting "Install OS", the OS from the menu, and then 'install this OS'. Basically this superimposes the project options on top of the common options, and then installs.

eg wpdsl /i msdos7 installs the option in msdos7 directory.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Finished Basic WDPSL functionality and tested the runtime with the following ini file :

file: A:\CONFIG\1111\WPDSL.INI
Code:
[WDPSL]
Title=Windows 95 B
SourceDrive=
SourcePath=\win95
TargetDrive=C:\
Chdir=
setupexe=oemsetup.exe
cmd=
params=
reboot=restart
treecopy=\drivers
copytoroot=test.txt

And with a Windows 95 B Disc, does work perfectly.

This is the current script for the ini file selector / parser / finder :
Code:
:GETINIFILE
::
:: The WDPSL Project and its contributors (c) 2013-2015 - Betaarchive 2006-2015
:: MS-DOS implementation of a inifile parser decoder and finder
:: With some fancy additions (Written in DOS-Batch, not NT-Batch, that's why it looks dirty)
:: In addition it does clear the environmental variables, to prevent an out of memory
:: List all Inifiles inside the config directory and subdirs and get the title
:: variable from it inside the WDPSL section. Then prints the title to the prompt
:: and ask the user.
:: Then get the selected index, get the corresponding ini file and returns it.
:: Dependencies : listmod.com; inifile.com; input.com; linex.com; gettitle.bat
:: Returns   : %SLCINI% - Selected Ini file.
:: Authors   : gus33000
:: Idea      : os2fan2
mkdir TEMP
dir A:\CONFIG\WDPSL.INI /B/S/ON | utils\listmod $* > A:\TEMP\INIF.TXT
type A:\TEMP\INIF.TXT | utils\listmod call A:\gettitle.bat $1 > A:\TEMP\GTITLE.BAT
call>nul A:\TEMP\GTITLE.BAT
del>nul A:\TEMP\GTITLE.BAT
set TITLE=
type A:\TEMP\MENU.TXT | utils\listmod $#. $* > A:\TEMP\menu2.txt
del>nul A:\TEMP\MENU.TXT
Echo.
Echo Please select the configuration file to load :
Echo.
Echo ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ
type A:\TEMP\menu2.txt
del>nul A:\TEMP\MENU2.TXT
Echo.
utils\INPUT "Your choice: " LN /S/U
Echo.
utils\LINEX %LN%(1) < A:\TEMP\INIF.TXT > A:\TEMP\slcini.txt
del>nul A:\TEMP\INIF.TXT
set LN=
type A:\TEMP\slcini.txt | utils\listmod set SLCINI=$* > A:\TEMP\CMD.BAT
del>nul A:\TEMP\slcini.txt
call>nul A:\TEMP\CMD.BAT
del>nul A:\TEMP\CMD.BAT
rmdir TEMP
:: protection against not yet implemented parts ;)
rem goto :eof

However I'm still missing a lot of features and utilities. I have found mcopy (basically xcopy renamed), shutdown.com but not the rest.

Still not implemented :
treecopy param
copytoroot param
TargetDrive param
Manual Setup - overriding default by extracting the cabs manually
Auto Setup - Should be easy to re-implement
Partition utilities launcher - Partially implemented - got the menu
Configuration Editor/Creator - Should be easy, I already done something like this for a win 3.11 live cd wrapper.
Unattended / Answer File Auto Filler - Should be easy - just need change.com

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
That's Ok, I'm going to upload disk3 in about an hour. It's got a lot of juicy stuff on it..

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
os2fan2 wrote:
That's Ok, I'm going to upload disk3 in about an hour. It's got a lot of juicy stuff on it..

Thanks, I can't wait to see what's in it :) . I'm Patient.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
It's uploaded at http://www.os2fan2.com/tmp/utils.dsk

It's just an ordinary floppy disk image. In real life, after you install a DOS on vpc, you install this disk, and it copies a mob of utilities to c:\use , and then creates a new config.sys and autoexec.bat. A lot of the stuff on there is really helpful for installing other software as well, such as os2hdd.exe, which we can use when building an os2 install.

The install copies a:\copy\*.* c:\use then expandd -r a:\use\*.* c:\use then writes a config.sys and autoexec.bat using the syscopy utility.

Note that some commands are renamed, both externally and internally, to avoid 4DOS commands. DI is DO, FREI is FREE, XLIST is LIST, IBMPART is BOOTPART, modified to write IBM boot sectors, rather than MS-DOS ones.

TC is treecopy or tcopy from microsoft opk 5. It's pretty good.

USEHELP.EXE is a modified version of the msdos 6 fasthelp.exe utility, mostly to use "usehelp.hlf" rather than doshelp.hlp. The usehelp.hlf is a text file, so you can read it in a text editor: it tells you what all the proggies do (except for mcopy, mmove, mdel (not in it), and edits (became se.exe, removed to make space).

Last edited by os2fan2 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Many thanks for this, it will be very useful.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WDPSL v7 Build 19 Pre-release Unattended Technology Preview 1 : https://mega.co.nz/#!qUBi3bKY!kyKwwoulf ... JwhJMIclg0

Note: This is a preview, things may not work as excepted.
The only things that are working atm are :
OS Install Selection, Exit2DOS and Utilities.
INI file syntax may change. Use with caution.

WARNING : UI not finished. Menu not Finished, just a preview of the functionality.
NOTE 2 : This is a rushed release

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
The diskette has REXX and LS on it, so you could something like this. I use REXX to do a lot of processing. Here you would save this as something like menu.rex, and run rexx menu.rex in the batch file.

Code:
/* rexx */
/*  We look for files of the form of wdpsl.ini in directories, and then
    read the INI files for the files.

*/
inifile = 'wdpsl.ini'
temp = value('temp', ,'environment' )
inilist = temp'\listini.txt' 
/* command to produce a list of files */;  dircmd = 'dir /f /b /s'
/* width of output tablle */ ; wide =50

/* Get a list of INI files to read */
dircmd inifile '>' inilist
call stream inilist, 'c', 'open'
files = 0 ; ini. = ''
do while lines(inilist)
  files = files+1
  ini.files = linein(inilist)
    end ; s=0; ini.s = files
call stream inilist, 'c', 'close'

/* Get an array of INI file 'Title' lines for each inifile. */
/* we also get the option name from here too */
do nr = 1 to ini.s
  thisfile = ini.nr ;
  elifsiht = reverse(thisfile)
  parse var elifsiht . '\' htap '\' .
  option.nr = reverse(htap)
  call stream thisfile, 'c', 'open read'
  do while lines(thisfile)
    thisline = linein(thisfile)
    parse var thisline with left '=' desc
    left = strip(translate(left))
        if left = 'TITLE' then leave
    end
title.nr = desc
call stream thisfile, 'c', 'close'
end

/* Draw a menu, and get the user input */
   spacer = '  '
   top = spacer '+' || centre('[ Operating Systems ]', wide, '-') || '+'
   bottom = spacer '+' || centre('[ Select an Option ]', wide, '-') || '+'
   call lineout, top
   do nr=1 to ini.s
     string = left(format(nr,4)':' title.nr, wide-2, ' ')
     call lineout, spacer '|' string '|'
     end
   call lineout, bottom
   parse pull choice

call value('zchoice' , choice, 'environment')
'echo %zchoice%'

/* at this point we have pulled an option etc */

You get some screen like this
Code:
[C:\save\newin]tryme
   +--------------[ Operating Systems ]---------------+
   |    1: Windows 95 OSR2                            |
   |    2: OS/2                                       |
   +---------------[ Select an Option ]---------------+
2 = OS/2

It has written one file to the temp dir, and read the list of files.

Last edited by os2fan2 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Your script doesn't seem to work. I fixed the missing end call but I'm getting this :

Error 41 - Bad arithmetic conversion at line 42 (sub error code 004)

Line in question : string = left(format(nr 4)':' title.nr, 68, ' ')

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Before finding an MS-DOS port of the NT command prompt :

Code:
mkdir TEMP
dir A:\CONFIG\WDPSL.INI /B/S/ON | utils\listmod $* > A:\TEMP\INIF.TXT
type A:\TEMP\INIF.TXT | utils\listmod call A:\gettitle.bat $1 > A:\TEMP\GTITLE.BAT
call>nul A:\TEMP\GTITLE.BAT
del>nul A:\TEMP\GTITLE.BAT
set TITLE=
type A:\TEMP\MENU.TXT | utils\listmod $#. $* > A:\TEMP\menu2.txt
del>nul A:\TEMP\MENU.TXT
Echo.
Echo Please select the configuration file to load :
Echo.
type A:\TEMP\menu2.txt
del>nul A:\TEMP\MENU2.TXT
Echo.
Echo.
utils\LINEX %LN%(1) < A:\TEMP\INIF.TXT > A:\TEMP\slcini.txt
del>nul A:\TEMP\INIF.TXT
set LN=
type A:\TEMP\slcini.txt | utils\listmod set SLCINI=$* > A:\TEMP\CMD.BAT
del>nul A:\TEMP\slcini.txt
call>nul A:\TEMP\CMD.BAT
del>nul A:\TEMP\CMD.BAT
rmdir TEMP
:: protection against not yet implemented parts ;)
rem goto :eof

After finding it :

Code:
for /f %f in ('dir /b /s WDPSL.INI') do echo %f >> A:\TEMP\IList.txt
for /f %f in ('type A:\TEMP\IList.txt') do (
   utils\INIFILE %f [WDPSL] Title | utils\NSET VAR=$0
   %VAR%
   echo %TITLE% >> A:\TEMP\TList.txt
)
Echo Please select the Operating System to Install :
Echo ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ
Echo.
type A:\TEMP\TList.txt
echo.
for /f %f in ('utils\LINEX %LN%(1) < A:\TEMP\IList.TXT') do set SLCINI=%f
echo %SLCINI%

:cool:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
[youtube2]http://youtu.be/41OFi3Js7Yw[/youtube2]

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Thanks to os2fan2, the auto script does look a bit better and more customizable than before (Thanks for your ideas !)

Build 73f confirmed to work, that means I did not messed up the script :)

WDPSL v7 Build 19 Pre-release Unattended Technology Preview 2 :

https://mega.co.nz/#!mVp3gCKa!ScsF6YOmt ... cXp31LnV5s

Note: Not all the idea left that os2fan2 did suggest and the ideas that I have in mind are currently implemented.
Note2: The script needs a little bit of refactoring but for now it works.
Note3: I don't know if you did notice but now the script know how to detect a 9x or a NT version of Windows
Note4 : The unattended option is broken in this release, working on a fix ATM.

WDPSL v7 Build 19 Pre-release Unattended Technology Preview 2a :

https://mega.co.nz/#!WJwAkboC!d8vlsKgJv ... GaTmcxSQ_E

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
I fixed up the typos in the rexx file. It was written without any commit or testing. Two options can be configured.

regina rexx has a few more options than the standard rexx-saa as on the floppy, but i usually write to rexx-saa for greater portability. The rexx on the floppy comes from PC-DOS 7, the help documentation is view rexx.inf. Someone has written ibm's view utility in other platforms line windows.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/win ... ws_1.2.zip

The list of files are written to the tempory directory, which could be a ramdrive. The value selected is returned to a DOS environment variable. In practice, having selected the option, it can reopen the appropriate INI file, and set a lot of variables in the command processor, or write an output file, also to the temp directory.

It does not at this stage, check for errors. For example, a file called wdpsl.ini might be corrupt, or invalid. These would be warned and dropped. Alternately, the user could select an invalid option.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
If your script is picking the difference between Windows 95 and Windows NT, then you could replace the generic ini section with different [Win9x] and [WinNT] options. You could then later add [Win31] and [MSDOS] stuff.

At the moment, i have not tried your program, gus3000. I'm just looking at the pictures.

The floppy disk i made is more intended for pcdos rather than msdos, because i am a ibm fan-girl. I never used msdos 6 as a basic installed OS. Went from ms 500 to pc 610 to 630 to 700 to 2k,

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Status Update :

ATM I'm not at home, and I'm doing some other things such as repairing a computer, trying to recover some data in a dead HD and downloading and packing the newest version of Office so for now the Development will be slower. I just wanted to let you know that. Don't worry, I did not abandoned the project. I even updated some things which I will release later. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
This would be the new server where I host the downloads, keep an eye on it for the next version :)

http://wdpsl.gus33000.site40.net/

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Project is back on track :

Note: The releases are not every day like before, they will now be every week, I apologize for that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
Any plans to add Whistler support? Because I plan to work on my own "Whistler Packet" to help you install builds of Whistler (Server) from 2202 to 2464. If you are working on Whistler support then I won't make it. Anyway, keep up the good work, gus33000! :)
Edit: nvm... looks like KenOath beat me to it... :(

Last edited by DiskingRound on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next