BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 63d, 3h, 34m | CPU: 53% | MEM: 5223MB of 12070MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:26 pm 
Donator

They changed the why how applications/drivers see what version of Windows it is. We see 10.0 in Win10 and 6.3 in Win8.1. Drivers see the same platform.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
6.22 + 3.11 + Calmira
ArsTechnica has a great article explaining how compatibility will likely not be affected.
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... ably-work/

The gist of it, if a program doesn't specify any OS target level (via manifest file) it gets told Vista, otherwise it'll get the features of the OS it states it wants to work with.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 10.0
Great article indeed

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista 5212.winmain.050726-1915
Goodbye, Start screen.

I hope that those who complained are satisfied. Not only do they get their Start menu back but they have to ruin the experience for the rest of us.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:38 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Longhorn 3718
then stay on w8

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
wasabilee wrote:
then stay on w8

I must say that your response is not a very nice one. You know that what you stated is not a viable option, particularly since I believe that Microsoft will require Windows 8.1 users to upgrade to Windows 10 in order to receive support (in a manner similar to the transition from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1).

Not that I am disliking the Start menu or other changes, but I would love for the Start screen to be kept as an option. Microsoft's over-a-decade-long realization for a full screen Start experience was finally realized in Windows 8, and by the time Windows 8.1 was released, it offered many advantages over the Start menu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Stop complaining and deal with it. The start screen is stupid and useless on a non-touch computer. If you love the start screen so much then sell your non-touch device and buy a stupid touch device like a peasant.

Keyboard-and-Mouse Master Race!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
You're obnoxious. If someone likes the start screen the let them use it, it's not like you have to use it as well.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MrFreeman wrote:
Stop complaining and deal with it. The start screen is stupid and useless on a non-touch computer. If you love the start screen so much then sell your non-touch device and buy a stupid touch device like a peasant.

Keyboard-and-Mouse Master Race!

I'm not sure what I did to elicit such a venomous response from you.

The feature is not stupid or useless to me. Even if you don't like it, it is nice to have for those who do prefer it. Also, I don't feel that it is stupid or useless on a non-touch device, particularly since it offers the following that the Start menu lacked:

Application categorization based on application attributes, such as Name, Date Installed, Frequency of Use, and Category.
Customizable colors, patterns and/or accents.
Live Tiles.
Microsoft Account integration, including the option to sync Start screen layout and preferences.
"Newly installed" application improvements. Unlike the Start menu, the Start screen states the exact number of newly installed applications.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
Maza wrote:
*start screen stuff*

It's as easy as not using Windows 10.

Those who don't like Windows 8 don't have to upgrade to it. You don't have to upgrade to Windows 10.

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
InsertGoodNameHere wrote:

It's as easy as not using Windows 10.

Those who don't like Windows 8 don't have to upgrade to it. You don't have to upgrade to Windows 10.

In my response to wasabilee I stated that this would not be a viable option.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
Maza - How?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Maza - How?

Because if one remains on Windows 8.1, he or she will most likely be required to upgrade to Windows 10 in order to receive support, including security updates. Recall that Windows 8 users are required to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to receive support.

http://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle ... =Windows+8

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
Maza wrote:
Maza - How?

Because if one remains on Windows 8.1, he or she will most likely be required to upgrade to Windows 10 in order to receive support, including security updates. Recall that Windows 8 users are required to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to receive support.

http://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle ... =Windows+8

Yes, but Windows 10 is a new OS, 8 and 8.1 are almost the same.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
The start screen is still in W10.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Yes, but Windows 10 is a new OS, 8 and 8.1 are almost the same.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see then.
MrFreeman wrote:
The start screen is still in W10.

Not by default in the latest publicly released build, 9926. It has to be enabled via the registry.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:34 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Longhorn 3718
use ViPad then

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I'm going to get a fair bit of hate for this, but I'm OK with the start screen. Most of the time I'm in a web browser or other desktop apps anyway, so I don't mind it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1
I think the W8/8.1 Start Screen is gonna be missing from the RTM and replaced by the "Hybrid" start menu, that is full screen in tablet mode.

Personally I prefer the old solution, with 2 separate GUI (ModernUI and classic desktop coexisting), as they are perfect for their respective purpose (tablet mode and desktop mode) while the hybrid solution isn't as good as either of them in a specific environment.

The only thing I like is that we can run Modern apps in a desktop window, but they could have done it easily in Windows 8.1 already if they wanted.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Uncle Scrooge wrote:
I think the W8/8.1 Start Screen is gonna be missing from the RTM and replaced by the "Hybrid" start menu, that is full screen in tablet mode.

Personally I prefer the old solution, with 2 separate GUI (ModernUI and classic desktop coexisting), as they are perfect for their respective purpose (tablet mode and desktop mode) while the hybrid solution isn't as good as either of them in a specific environment.

The only thing I like is that we can run Modern apps in a desktop window, but they could have done it easily in Windows 8.1 already if they wanted.

That seems to be what will happen, unfortunately. I have already left feedback at the uservoice website, e-mail, and a certain social media platform but so far I have received no response. Of course the company disregards feedback that is not in alignment with its interests or goals.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:50 pm 

I think Windows 10 will be good OS.
It takes best parts from 7 and 8, has nice features like cortana and even the new browser.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:51 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
EnjoyTheJoy wrote:
It takes best parts from 7 and 8, has nice features like cortana and even the new browser.

I think Windows 10 takes the best parts from Windows 8 and turns them into a joke.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:59 am 

I am very happy using Windows 8.1 but have high hopes for Windows 10. As a desktop Touchscreen user (I have a Dell S2340T) I think they won't take risks in making something groundbreaking but they will try to give us an experience as least as the one we already have while using 8/8.1 There are still compatibility issues with some software that just don't like Windows 7 and up (e.g. Shadow of Destiny / Shadow of Memories) so maybe our only hope will be to try running them through a VM of an old OS and see if they work that way because for Windows 10 to be good, more compatibility options are still needed to be achieved.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:12 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
EnjoyTheJoy wrote:

It takes the best parts of Windows 7 and 8 and tirns them into ugly features. Ugly ui, way too updated kernel, and worst of all, DWM is a process that runs under winlogon.exe and you can't kill it when winlogon.exe is running! That will eat up your RAM space if you are playing high quality games.

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:19 am 
FTP Access

I hope it turns out alright. I'm planning on taking advantage of the free upgrade offer from MS.

Top  Profile