BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 10h, 34m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5378MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:22 pm 

Favourite OS
Hi people! :)
What do you think about the recent betas of Windows 10 (Technical Preview, 9888, 9901)? From your point of view, will Windows 10 be a good operating system or a disaster like Windows 8 and 8.1 (Some people think Windows 8 is OK)?
Merry Christmas for everyone! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
From what I've seen, it's at least going in the right direction. Hopefully MS listen to people and bring back Aero. Or at least allow people to make their own Aero themes, instead of having to patch system files...

Merry Christmas to you too. :D

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:09 pm 

Favourite OS
InsertGoodNameHere wrote:
From what I've seen, it's at least going in the right direction. Hopefully MS listen to people and bring back Aero. Or at least allow people to make their own Aero themes, instead of having to patch system files...

Really? MS bring back Aero, and we will be able to make own Aero themes? Oh, very good! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
Alejandro3344487 wrote:

Really? MS bring back Aero, and we will be able to make own Aero themes? Oh, very good! :D

Sorry to let you down, but I said hopefully they will.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:40 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Longhorn 3718
it will be prolly the same as 8, just tweaked shell

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:57 am 
FTP Access

Hopefully, They bring back the Start Menu which will make the operating system further less confusing, especially for new users, And also there is new features for desktop users as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 HP SP1
I personally think with the comeback of the classic start menu, combining it with the live tiles, and the ability to choose whether you want a desktop or a start screen when you boot up and many other factors I cannot be bothered to list would make it a good operating system. Though, I do not like the Metro-ish colors and interface... I just hope they bring back Aero! Nevertheless, Windows 10 has a potential to be a successful OS, in my opinion.

FTP Access - Donator

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
domantasrackovas wrote:
I personally think with the comeback of the classic start menu, combining it with the live tiles, and the ability to choose whether you want a desktop or a start screen when you boot up and many other factors I cannot be bothered to list would make it a good operating system. Though, I do not like the Metro-ish colors and interface... I just hope they bring back Aero! Nevertheless, Windows 10 has a potential to be a successful OS, in my opinion.

What he said.

The thing that I dislike about Windows 10 is the icons, start menu tiles and the flatness.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
Seems like that it will bring lots of compatibility issues.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 10.0
I think we need to see the final product before jumping to any conclusions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 pm 
Administrator

"Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?"

Will this pizza taste good? Well it depends on who eats it and what ingredients the eater likes...

I have not had any issues with Windows 8 either, so I doubt Windows 10 will be any worse, however those people that refuse to learn anything new will have an "easier" way to adapt to Windows 10 since it brings back something they clearly can't part with... And there will always be moaners and whiners about every little change. In the end, if you don't need to then don't upgrade. Windows 7 will be around for quite some time, and we'll see Windows 11 and perhaps even Windows 12 before Windows 7 joins the abandonware club, so plenty of time for people to adapt and figure out how to start an application without a start menu... since it's so extremely difficult :).

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
windows
When Vista appeared, I hated it. And now, I think it was not so bad at all.
When the final version of Windows 10 will be released, I will first read the opinions of the first users and if I think that it is a good OS, I will probably buy it.
With the risk to be disappointed after ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 95 OSR 2.5
I believe that Windows 10 will be the new Windows 7, in the sense that most people will upgrade to Windows 10 without thinking twice. The design is definitely going in the right direction. It will have all the good stuff and the speed of Windows 8.1 with the familiarity of the Windows 7 interface, blended in an updated interface. I also believe that it will be more appealing to the power users than the original Windows 8.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:41 pm 

Favourite OS
Alejandro3344487 wrote:

Sorry to let you down, but I said hopefully they will.

Ah, OK...I want Aero in Windows 10 :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:45 pm 

Favourite OS
Viking wrote:
When the final version of Windows 10 will be released, I will first read the opinions of the first users and if I think that it is a good OS, I will probably buy it.

OK, good luck purchasing Windows 10 :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:48 pm 

Favourite OS
tjn wrote:
Hopefully, They bring back the Start Menu which will make the operating system further less confusing, especially for new users, And also there is new features for desktop users as well.

Yes :) Probably they will bring back Aero, but is not sure.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:51 pm 

Favourite OS
cantasan99 wrote:
Seems like that it will bring lots of compatibility issues.

Yes....probably....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:53 pm 

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:

Will this pizza taste good? Well it depends on who eats it and what ingredients the eater likes...

I have not had any issues with Windows 8 either, so I doubt Windows 10 will be any worse, however those people that refuse to learn anything new will have an "easier" way to adapt to Windows 10 since it brings back something they clearly can't part with... And there will always be moaners and whiners about every little change. In the end, if you don't need to then don't upgrade. Windows 7 will be around for quite some time, and we'll see Windows 11 and perhaps even Windows 12 before Windows 7 joins the abandonware club, so plenty of time for people to adapt and figure out how to start an application without a start menu... since it's so extremely difficult :).

Ah, OK....Thank you for your answer....:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 10.0
Viking wrote:

You know you can try it for free 30 days before you buy, right?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
windows
I know but, sometimes, it need more than one month before seeing bad sides of a new OS or any other software.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10 LTSC x64
If they scrap all the insanely idiotic UI things in 8/8.1 named Metro and keep the good performance enhancements of 8/8.1 it will be a good OS. And don't leave spillovers (tiles in start menu) or at least have "hidden" options to disable them.
Metro was a failure, I've worked and with MANY experienced and inexperienced users since 2012 that this failure was out and even now, on the verge of 2015 beginning, haven't found anyone to say "yes, it was a good change". Performance enhancements are great but if your work is slowed down by failed GUI it's nothing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:08 pm 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:

Obviously. I use 8 too and like it and I don't think it's "crap" either. If a new OS introduces major UI changes= people hate it. Same with Vista. And I doubt the next OS will be called 11 because MS names their OSes so weird... Like with 9 that was called 10 actually. People seem to be very lazy to learn... And they criticize very often :? So 10 should be great too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:55 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3
Windows 10 appears to be going in the right direction. It's nice that the start menu is back. Oh, and I've heard rumors that people with Windows 8.x will be able to upgrade to Windows 10. Anybody have any info on that by any chance?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:52 am 

Favourite OS
Windows ME
Personally I see it turning out pretty well, with minor kinks (or a major one like changing the NT Version to 10.0. Goodbye anything working for a while.). The Start Menu is pretty sweet and I've gotten a slight classic Windows vibe with the retention of the Start Screen and slimming down of the main Start Menu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will Windows 10 be a good operating system?        Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 10.0
The change to NT 10 doesn't cause so many compatibility issues as you would expect.

In fact, I tested the 2 leaked NT 10 builds and I didn't bump into any compatibility problems so far (nor with apps , nor with drivers)

Top  Profile