BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 8h, 34m | CPU: 80% | MEM: 5940MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 PostPost subject: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:08 am 
Administrator

To not flood the General Discussion forums with new member topics every new member can introduce themselves here if they want to.

To all new members, Welcome to BetaArchive! :)

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

Just thought I'd break this topic in by saying hi!

Some may know me as retro in other circles, particularly video game focused ones.

I have an interest in old computers and operating systems, software, beta games and the like, and have some development hardware, so I'm sure I'll find plenty to chat about around here!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:00 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Just giving a shout out to everyone. Been building PC since 2001. really enjoy this site, Like walking down memory lane.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:16 pm 

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4.5.2
I enjoy this site very much, thanks for helping me relive the good old days. I love programming and these days, am firing up old systems, setting them up with dev tools and hacking on them. Have set up OS/2 2.0 to 4.52 with IBM visual age C++, Borland C++ and am learning to program OS/2 machines. I am also readying a windows NT 4.0 on Alpha (using QEMU) with visual studio.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Thanks for the welcome :D. I am looking forward to working with betas in 2014 :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn Build 4074
I'll drop a brief mention of myself, I guess. I've been working with PCs at a very young age since 2003 mainly for my family members and myself. I remember getting access to a Longhorn beta and slapping it on my PC for a test drive. It was impressive on what the future of computers was going to offer...

Trying out each build of Longhorn as they came out really revved my interest in progression of software in development, videogames included. I got to relive my excitement through virtualization years later with my third and latest PC build. I'm discovering new betas for OSes and videogames I used to play back in the day; it's part of why I decided to join this site.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
SP3
Just saying hi to the community, I have a little experience with QA and building pc's, though I wouldn't say I'm a good person to ask for help with the latter!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Whistler Build 2267
Hello, I like abandonware and betas. Trying to use everyday. Hi!.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:50 pm 

Favourite OS
OS X
Hi,

I'm new here. I like vintage Operation Systems.
Glad to have found this site.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 pm 

Favourite OS
Hello everyone,

i'm new here,I was seeing your wiki and i liked,then i'm register in this forum,before I had Windows XP But now i Have Windows 7

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 - Windows 98 SE
I'm not so new... anyway: I'm Win7... I have registered after looking to the beautiful Wiki (hey, you worked a lot to make it resemble Wikipedia! Congratulations!).

Overall, I like very much this site... I hope I did not submit a spam reply!

Bye,

Win7

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:45 pm 

Favourite OS
Sup,
GeekSquared in da house! Joined BA 'cause I'm interested in betas and how OSes evolved over the years.

See you around!
GeekSquared

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
the Unices and linuces.
hello mate(s) showed-up looking for some info on Whistler, but i decided to stay.
my first computer wasn't a pc or a mac, it was a sun sparcstation running sunOS 4. hope that i can find sunOS in the archives somewhere too.
-valvedubstep

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:00 am 

Favourite OS
UNIX SVR4.2
Hello, I like old operating systems, specially UNIX SVR4.
I have registered because I like this site. I have read very interesting posts and I would like to contribute, too.

Regards,

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 am 
FTP Access

hioh o/
Joined because I like old unices :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:24 pm 
FTP Access

Hi, everyone. A place dedicated to preserving old software is my kind of place.
dudeluv wrote:
really enjoy this site, Like walking down memory lane.

My thoughts exactly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:38 pm 

Greetings, BetaArchive. I am novokyiv and I don't know how to write an introduction.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
none at the moment
Hi. I am really not much.
If you've been to osfirsttimer.freeforums.org you probably know me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 pm 

Hello, Im new here.

Im very interested in IBM applications and custimizations for OS/2 and Windows 95.

Im IBM aptiva fan.

Hello to all!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Gentoo
Hi!

Quite an amazing place you've built here. I always found strange that there were no private trackers dedicated to old operating systems/software (not games). So, you've been hiding here all this time! Seriously, I can't believe you've been able to collect all this rare stuff in a single place. I really hope there are backups, it would be a sad day if it was lost.

I've always wanted to have a lab full of old hardware and vintage operating systems. Having access to all the environments and tools so I could test anything possible, at any time. I can't own the hardware, but now that I have a 3 node, 128GB ram cluster and other resources, I can get really close with virtualization/emulation. The goal is having as much as possible installed, running at once/ready to run, sorted, integrated, stored in an efficient way while keeping a dynamic cluster setup that will allow me to basically move anything anywhere, including the underlying hypervisors. Nowadays having that much in ram is not needed because SSDs are so fast you can launch it in seconds, so it's not as exciting as it was years ago. Nevertheless, I have other things in mind, old software is only a part of it, all for fun, learning, historical purposes, preservation and collecting.

What I mean is, I'm happy this place exists, both because of the content and the people interested in this topic.

Last edited by Vith on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
Hello everyone,

I've come across betaarchive.com multiple times during my time as a MS beta tester. It's been a while since I played with beta builds, thanks to high speed internet access, i feel it's the right time to start collecting all those builds i played with in past. :) Can't wait to get started.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 pm 

Favourite OS
OS/2
Hello.

I ran across Beta Archive as side effect of some Google searches for information. I signed up in order to participate in the discussions, since I always want to contribute to an interesting discussion when I see one.

I have a pile of old developer CDs (MSDN, Apple, IBM-OS/2) which might be of interest to this group. When I've contributed enough to get access to the server, I'll take a look and see if anything in my collection doesn't already exist there.

WRT my credentials, I have been playing with computers as a hobby since 1982 when I was using a TRS-80 CoCo at home and an Apple II+ at school. I have worked with and developed software as a hobbyist for the Apple II series, CoCo, DOS-based PC, OS/2 16- and 32-bit Windows and many assorted UNIX flavors. I have developed software professionally for Windows, OS/2 many Unixes, as well as embedded software for routers. I'm also a big Mac fan and user, although I never got around to developing anything for that platform.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:55 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Could you please share some of those releases with us here? It would be greatly appreciated if you did, thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 10.3
Good evening, I'm a media designer (photography, layout and web) from Germany. My Family had a PC since the early 90's, so I remember a lot of old software we had when I was a child. In mid-90s Germany this of course included OS/2 ;)

I realized more and more of this is vanishing with old diskettes thrown away, so I decided to make virtual backups of our floppies. ;) The idea expanded into saving old software in general. As an 'artistic' person, I'm interested in computer graphics and its history again. I love the clean looks of Windows 3.x series, for example. Once I even saved two IBM PS/2s for the outstanding design. But had to give them away when moving, including all rescued floppies. :(

I tried to get hold again of some of that stuff via internet, but again, in the last few years many things vanished …

Beta Archive seems to be a nice and respectable place. Hopefully we can help each other here and fight disappearance of software products :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: New member introductions        Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:40 am 
FTP Access

Hello, I'm currently a student going into my third year of Computer Science. I have learned lots in C++, Java, and other languages. I have a profound interest in software security and hacking. Since I was 14 I have been hacking any electronic I can get my hands on and always wanted to know how people figured out how to do such things in the first place and now I am starting to be on that side of the fence as far as finding and exploiting vulnerabilities.

I hope to find and share a lot of useful information here and am excited to become a part of the community!

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next