BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 21h, 28m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 6125MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:34 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
IIRC, Windows Vista should support EFI as well

I saw somewhere that they'd dropped EFI from Vista, but I'm not 100% sure.

empireum wrote:
No problem, I did expect something like this :D I'm just playing around with my toys

Nah, you're cool really :) I've done that sort of stuff as well: I did about 12 virtual instances of Windows and a Mac OS X in PearPC once, and I did Windows > Mac OS X (PearPC) > Mac OS 8.1 (Basilisk II inside PearPC) - after about 45 minutes booting Mac OS 8.1, PearPC crashed before 8.1 had booted!

I also tried very hard to get Windows > OS X > Windows inside OS X, but I can't get this to work (10.4.1 in VMware doesn't run any of the recent Universal apps as it's too old, and PearPC can't run Virtual PC etc because emulators rely on low-level parts of the PowerPC CPU that aren't emulated in PearPC).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:16 pm 
Donator

Quote:
I saw somewhere that they'd dropped EFI from Vista, but I'm not 100% sure.

That's what I read as well, however, there is still an "efi" folder on the DVDs of Vista and Longhorn Server (at least in the builds that I have). Not sure if that means anything to the EFI support, though. Inside this folder, there is a "microsoft\boot" folder with a 256KB "bcd" file in it. That puzzles me a bit because EFI files should have an .efi extension. Maybe I'll try to boot the Vista DVD using EFI on my Intel Mac.
AFAIK, the only Windows versions officially supporting EFI are Windows XP and Server 2003 for Itanium. These are not going to help you on an x86 or x86_64 box, though. :)

While we're at it, Microsoft once released a 64-bit beta of Windows 2000 codenamed "Janus" (like the Windows 3.1 beta). I'm pretty sure it was for the AMD Opteron (x86_64), so it should run on all recent AMD and Intel CPUs. If I'd get or find that build somewhere, I'd get crazy. All I've ever seen of it is a screenshot of the boot screen that might as well have been faked. I'd also like to get some old x86_64 versions of Windows.net (I know of a build 3621 that's 64-bit). These seem to be really hard to find...

Quote:
Nah, you're cool really Smile I've done that sort of stuff as well: I did about 12 virtual instances of Windows and a Mac OS X in PearPC once, and I did Windows > Mac OS X (PearPC) > Mac OS 8.1 (Basilisk II inside PearPC) - after about 45 minutes booting Mac OS 8.1, PearPC crashed before 8.1 had booted!

What a pity it crashed...

Quote:
I also tried very hard to get Windows > OS X > Windows inside OS X, but I can't get this to work (10.4.1 in VMware doesn't run any of the recent Universal apps as it's too old, and PearPC can't run Virtual PC etc because emulators rely on low-level parts of the PowerPC CPU that aren't emulated in PearPC).

Good idea. I think I'll try this. Either Windows -> OS X -> Windows or OS X -> Windows -> another Windows (although that's not as cool). You're still running the original 10.4.1 VMware image? That's quite old, indeed. I do have a more recent image but my PC (which is collecting dust in the cellar) is too old to run it. I might upgrade it to try that although I have two real Macs. (And my father uses a real Mac, too.)

By the way: What laptop do you have? And is this your only/primary machine?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:30 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Quote:
after about 45 minutes booting Mac OS 8.1, PearPC crashed before 8.1 had booted!

What a pity it crashed...

Yeah, it got as far as the OS 8.1 boot screen with all the extension icons along the bottom. I think it crashed because I needed to use the computer for something else, and PearPC often locks up if you try to do other things at the same time. It would work if I tried again and just left it I think, but I haven't bothered (it was so slow it was ridiculous really!).

empireum wrote:
Quote:

Good idea. I think I'll try this. Either Windows -> OS X -> Windows or OS X -> Windows -> another Windows (although that's not as cool). You're still running the original 10.4.1 VMware image? That's quite old, indeed. I do have a more recent image but my PC (which is collecting dust in the cellar) is too old to run it. I might upgrade it to try that although I have two real Macs. (And my father uses a real Mac, too.)

By the way: What laptop do you have? And is this your only/primary machine?

It's the Deadmoo image, yes. It seems too much of a hassle to update it so I haven't bothered. Is it possible to run Parallels or anything like that on the newer versions of OSX86 as that would be the only way to get Windows > OSX > Windows - I don't think you'll get a PC emulator working inside PearPC (I've tried Guest PC and MS Virtual PC, and neither worked), although the 68k emulator Basilisk II works so it might be possible...

The laptop in question is a P4HT 3.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM etc - it's a nice machine, although not really what you might call a normal laptop (7.1 kg weight, 17" screen etc), and the Pentium 4 (desktop, not a mobile version) means it gets very hot very quickly!. It's my main machine, although not my only one - I do seem to have a rather worrying number of computers now, including 7 (!) vintage Macs, several old PC laptops (and I mean old!), an Acorn RiscPC, and a couple of IBM PS/2s. I'm not a geek though - honestly! :) My main machine is the only one that actually cost me any money though - the others are all so old that they were free from various places :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:01 pm 
Donator

Quote:
Yeah, it got as far as the OS 8.1 boot screen with all the extension icons along the bottom. I think it crashed because I needed to use the computer for something else, and PearPC often locks up if you try to do other things at the same time. It would work if I tried again and just left it I think, but I haven't bothered (it was so slow it was ridiculous really!).

Yes, I remember that. You shouldn't be doing anything else while PearPC is running, but on a single-processor/-core/non-HT system, that wouldn't make much sense anyway because PearPC uses to hog your CPU...

Quote:
It's the Deadmoo image, yes. It seems too much of a hassle to update it so I haven't bothered.

Well, if I ever get to build a machine for that, I'll start with a newer image that can be installed from a DVD. It could be a hassle to update 10.4.1 as Apple has significantly changed OS X beginning with 10.4.3.

Quote:
Is it possible to run Parallels or anything like that on the newer versions of OSX86 as that would be the only way to get Windows > OSX > Windows - I don't think you'll get a PC emulator working inside PearPC (I've tried Guest PC and MS Virtual PC, and neither worked), although the 68k emulator Basilisk II works so it might be possible...

Yes, parallels works on OSx86. If you have an Intel CPU, it'll work just fine, if you have an AMD CPU, you'll have to patch the install script. So, you're intending to run Windows --> VMware --> OS X --> Parallels --> Windows or something like that? That's crazy...
As for the PC emulator within PearPC – have you tried Bochs or the MacBochs Cocoa port? Bochs even runs within itself (although that must be really slow), so you could get along with that. I know someone in a forum runs OS X (real Intel Mac) --> Parallels --> Windows --> Bochs --> ?

Quote:
The laptop in question is a P4HT 3.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM etc - it's a nice machine, although not really what you might call a normal laptop (7.1 kg weight, 17" screen etc), and the Pentium 4 (desktop, not a mobile version) means it gets very hot very quickly!

That sounds heavy. What make and model is it? But >7kg and the P4's heat – that would be too much for me. :) I used to have some really light subnotebooks with 10" or 12" screens and ~1-1.5kg, but the Pentium III ULV CPUs they used (or some other, really low power CPU) are no great performers and they severely struggled running VMware or other intensive tasks. Therefore, my current 13" notebook first seemed "too big" and "too heavy", although 13" is not that big and it weighs just 2.3kg, but now that I've gotten used to it, I love the machine, especially for its look and power (dual-core with 2GB RAM is just great, a nice 7200rpm HD is soon to come).

Quote:
It's my main machine, although not my only one - I do seem to have a rather worrying number of computers now, including 7 (!) vintage Macs, several old PC laptops (and I mean old!), an Acorn RiscPC, and a couple of IBM PS/2s

Not bad – you even got an Acorn RiscPC! Would love to have one. Maybe have a look at eBay.

Quote:
I'm not a geek though - honestly! Smile My main machine is the only one that actually cost me any money though - the others are all so old that they were free from various places Smile

I was not so lucky, I never got a machine for free – wait, that's not correct, I got an old PIII-450 for free. :) I am not sure if I could be called a geek, I don't think so, although I love to play with my electronical toys and I absolutely love my PDA with Linux and X11 and that stuff. For me, it's just like a subnotebook, but much, much smaller... :)

BTW: I really enjoy staying here – I hope the BetaArchive will really be a great community just as the "old one" (you know what I mean) was before things went downhill. I hope more people will join and bring us some really extraordinary stuff :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:26 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Quote:
The laptop in question is a P4HT 3.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM etc - it's a nice machine, although not really what you might call a normal laptop (7.1 kg weight, 17" screen etc), and the Pentium 4 (desktop, not a mobile version) means it gets very hot very quickly!

That sounds heavy. What make and model is it? But >7kg and the P4's heat – that would be too much for me. :) I used to have some really light subnotebooks with 10" or 12" screens and ~1-1.5kg, but the Pentium III ULV CPUs they used (or some other, really low power CPU) are no great performers and they severely struggled running VMware or other intensive tasks. Therefore, my current 13" notebook first seemed "too big" and "too heavy", although 13" is not that big and it weighs just 2.3kg, but now that I've gotten used to it, I love the machine, especially for its look and power (dual-core with 2GB RAM is just great, a nice 7200rpm HD is soon to come).

It's an Acer Aspire 1714 - see here http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/Acer-Aspire ... -3-nd2.htm I use an old Apple PowerBook 520 as my "small" laptop for when I need something portable - I also have an IBM ThinkPad 570, which is wonderful machine as it's so small and light, but sadly I got given it because the backlight won't come on and there's nothing I can do about it. I'd love to get it working as well :(

empireum wrote:
Quote:
It's my main machine, although not my only one - I do seem to have a rather worrying number of computers now, including 7 (!) vintage Macs, several old PC laptops (and I mean old!), an Acorn RiscPC, and a couple of IBM PS/2s

Not bad – you even got an Acorn RiscPC! Would love to have one. Maybe have a look at eBay.

They seem to go a bit expensive sometimes on eBay - don't know why - I was lucky enough to see someone clearing some out on our local Freecycle a few weeks ago (have you checked out your local group? I've had lots of cool stuff from there :)), and it's in pretty much as new-condition too, with the manuals and a 486 PC card fitted.

empireum wrote:
Quote:
I'm not a geek though - honestly! Smile My main machine is the only one that actually cost me any money though - the others are all so old that they were free from various places Smile

I was not so lucky, I never got a machine for free – wait, that's not correct, I got an old PIII-450 for free. :) I am not sure if I could be called a geek, I don't think so, although I love to play with my electronical toys and I absolutely love my PDA with Linux and X11 and that stuff. For me, it's just like a subnotebook, but much, much smaller... :)

What sort of PDA is it? Did you have to hack it to get Linux on there? By the way, I've got an old Apple Newton MessagePad PDA, which is an interesting little thing - I picked that up off eBay for £0.99 plus postage :)

empireum wrote:
BTW: I really enjoy staying here – I hope the BetaArchive will really be a great community just as the "old one" (you know what I mean) was before things went downhill. I hope more people will join and bring us some really extraordinary stuff :)

I hope you enjoy it here - it's nice having you around :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:52 pm 
Donator

Quote:
It's an Acer Aspire 1714 - see here http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/Acer-Aspire ... -3-nd2.htm

Ah, I see. A bit exhausting to lug around all day, isn't it? :)

Quote:
I use an old Apple PowerBook 520 as my "small" laptop for when I need something portable

Great, I'd personally like to have one of the PowerBook Duos. These were really small machines. My father is on his second 12" iBook now – portable as well. But my 13" MacBook is a portable machine, too, and I've no problems taking it with me. But there's also my 3.7" PDA that I take with me wherever I go. One of the benefits of a PDA is it doesn't need to boot up and it does not have a hard drive (in most cases), so it's more suitable for the daily use outside and such.

Quote:
I also have an IBM ThinkPad 570, which is wonderful machine as it's so small and light, but sadly I got given it because the backlight won't come on and there's nothing I can do about it. I'd love to get it working as well Sad

I know the ThinkPads, these are great machines. Robust, durable, reliable. Many companies still use them and when they don't need them anymore, they sell them for little money. That's a possibility to make a great deal. I was once looking for a ThinkPad X (these little subnotebooks), but... well, they can still be expensive sometimes. I then got a really great deal on an ultra-light and ultra-flat (1.9cm max) Sharp subnotebook that served me well – until its display backlight went out...

Quote:
They seem to go a bit expensive sometimes on eBay - don't know why - I was lucky enough to see someone clearing some out on our local Freecycle a few weeks ago (have you checked out your local group? I've had lots of cool stuff from there Smile), and it's in pretty much as new-condition too, with the manuals and a 486 PC card fitted.

Good idea, will check that :D

Quote:
What sort of PDA is it? Did you have to hack it to get Linux on there? By the way, I've got an old Apple Newton MessagePad PDA, which is an interesting little thing - I picked that up off eBay for £0.99 plus postage Smile

It's a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000. Here's the web page (caution, it's in Japanese!): http://ezaurus.com/lineup/slc1000/index.html.
It's a pity that Sharp only sells them to the Japanese market, these are great little devices. Fast processor (400-600MHz OCable XScale), good amount of memory (64MB RAM and 128MB Flash), good keyboard, brilliant VGA display and they run Linux out of the box.
There's even a "greater" model which has a built-in 6GB Microdrive, but the idea of having a hard drive in a device that goes wherever I go and is subject to the dangers of daily life :wink: didn't seem good to me so I went with the HD-less model. I have a large number of big flash cards (>1GB, hoping to get a 4GB-8GB one soon) to compensate for that.
As said, they run Linux out of the box and you've plenty of possibilities to customize it. I can run X11, OpenOffice and other stuff. Only downside is it doesn't have any wireless built-in, but I have CF WLAN and Bluetooth cards.
To sum it up, that's the best birthday present I've ever got so far, even if it's a bit expensive...

The MessagePad is a nice toy as well, but a little bit... big. :)

Quote:
I hope you enjoy it here - it's nice having you around

Thanks for the compliment – I can only give it back to you :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:07 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
It's a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000. Here's the web page (caution, it's in Japanese!): http://ezaurus.com/lineup/slc1000/index.html.

Cool - it looks a bit like one of those UMPCs ("Origami") - can you install Windows on it, or only Linux? How do you install things on it - does it have a CD drive attachment?

empireum wrote:
Quote:
I hope you enjoy it here - it's nice having you around

Thanks for the compliment – I can only give it back to you :)

Thanks mate :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:02 am 
Donator

Quote:
Cool - it looks a bit like one of those UMPCs ("Origami") - can you install Windows on it, or only Linux? How do you install things on it - does it have a CD drive attachment?

It may look like an UMPC – but it's more a "really fat PDA". I can run X11, OpenOffice and big applications like that, but they require patience. Smaller applications that are optimized for the architecture run very fast (especially if the CPU is overclocked).

I can't install or run Windows natively on it as it as an ARM processor, and there has never been a Windows version for these except of Windows CE – and that's something I'd better not have to use.

It runs Linux (and OpenBSD, if you manage to install it) and comes preinstalled with a Linux distribution made by Sharp, however, there are some other distributions for this device that focus on (1) complete English localization (when the device is delivered, its software is in Japanese, apparently) and (2) compatibility for normal, desktop apps like OpenOffice and that stuff.

I usually run small applications on it like a calender, memo-pad, a clock, do some word processing, but I can use OpenOffice and stuff if I need it.

If I really need to run Windows, I can install Bochs on it (an open-source x86 PC emulator) and boot DOS, Windows 3.1 or even 98, although that's a bit slow.

There are many ways to install applications on the device:

(1) Downloading applications directly from the internet.
(2) Copying applications to an SD or CF card and installing them from there.
(3) Connecting the device to the PC, establishing a TCP/IP connection and copying the files over.
(4) Connecting a USB storage device to the USB port and installing from there.

To answer your question about the CD drive: It has an USB "host" port, that means, I can not only connect it to another computer, I can also connect other USB devices to that little toy, such as keyboards, mice, USB hard disks, flash drives, CD/DVD/CDRW drives. So I can attach a CD drive and load files from there, I could even attach a CD burner and burn a CD on the device. But I usually use the USB port to connect the PDA to my desktop Mac to sync files (if I can't find my WLAN card) or to connect my external HD to it – backing up the files is a good idea. :)

As for the compliment – you're welcome :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:56 am 
empireum wrote:
(and IIRC, Windows Vista should support EFI as well)

Windows Vista will not support EFI, according to Microsoft.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:01 am 
Donator

Vista was going to support EFI, but was later dropped, like a lot of things

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:26 pm 
Donator

Yeah, I just wonder what the "efi" folder at the root of Vista and Longhorn Server DVDs is for...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:38 am 
empireum wrote:
Yeah, I just wonder what the "efi" folder at the root of Vista and Longhorn Server DVDs is for...

It remains from Beta 2, but will be removed by RTM, according to Microsoft.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:36 pm 
Donator

OK, thanks for clearing that up. But wait: Does that mean Vista/LH Server Beta 2 still support EFI?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:25 am 
FTP Access

The Whistler Beta2 Build 2462 (German Edition) Pics are now comlete :)

Whistler 2462 PICS

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:20 am 
Donator

the whistler-pcs are great!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:05 am 
Donator

@Luckie
Do you coincidentally speak German? :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:06 am 
Dont know if it is me or if it was a general feeling, but i really liked whistler especially the shutdown screen, the images i think were cool. i would like something like that on xp, but cant find it anywhere :oops:

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:10 am 
Donator

I especially like the Whistler logos with the white background. They're shown in the logon/logoff screens, for example. White background, a huge Whistler/XP logo and then the Whistler edition written right next to it. I like these logos much more than these in XP. They're still present in XP, but only the server ones.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:21 am 
Donator

empireum wrote:
Do you coincidentally speak German? :)

ja :) cool, noch jemand mit dem man in deutsch reden kann :mrgreen:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:22 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Stick to english please, that could be insulting me and I wouldnt know! lol :D

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:24 am 
Donator

@Andy
What Luckie said was not insulting, don't panic! :) But we'll stick to English, no problem! :)

@Luckie
If you wanna have a talk in German, feel free to PM! :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:27 am 
Donator

ok, from now on only in english in the forum and german on PMs :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:29 am 
Donator

OK! (That could have been English or German :D)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:19 am 
FTP Access

Neogen wrote:
Dont know if it is me or if it was a general feeling, but i really liked whistler especially the shutdown screen, the images i think were cool. i would like something like that on xp, but cant find it anywhere :oops:

do you mean Pic 19 or 25?

Top  Profile