BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 16h, 21m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 6100MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Build Screenshots        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Just added my collection of Boot Screen to the site

Hope it brings back memoryies

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/screenshots/

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:46 am 
Donator

Great collection, thanks!

Certainly brings up some old memories... I think I'll install Windows 95 in a VM again just for the feeling :)

BTW, which Whistler build was this screenshot from? Must be a really old one, Build 22xx, but before 2296...?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:48 am 
FTP Access

Is that Windows 98 Second Edition one a custom bootscreen? I'm sure the 98SE I've got in VPC doesn't say "Second Edition" on the boot screen; it just looks the same as the First Edition one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:56 am 
Donator

Maybe it is the boot screen it shows upon the first reboot while the setup is still running (the one that says "Starting Windows..." below the version or something like that) or it might as well be a custom one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
sorry it is a custom one.

but it does look like a "really" one

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:45 am 
Donator

Oh, sorry, I was wrong then...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:00 am 
Donator

good stuff :wink:. boot screens have come along way

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:03 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Well it gonna look like this soon - Windows Vista

http://screenshots.winfuture.de/1147358456.jpg

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:04 am 
FTP Access

___ wrote:
boot screens have come along way

I think the 9x bootscreens were better actually - they had a higher colour depth (XP only has 16 colour) and were much easier to customise than in XP. Let's hope they come up with something good for Vista - hopefully better than 640x480 16-colour!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:04 am 
Donator

finaly it will look decent. seems odd that is isn't in any of the RC's

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:06 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
___ wrote:
boot screens have come along way

I think the 9x bootscreens were better actually - they had a higher colour depth (XP only has 16 colour) and were much easier to customise than in XP. Let's hope they come up with something good for Vista - hopefully better than 640x480 16-colour!

1024x768 16bit like they have in SUSE Linux would be cool.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:35 am 
FTP Access

Never knew it was that bad resoultion for XP. I think the best on was NT4.0 Workstation, and the Worst Windows ME.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:06 am 
FTP Access

ewan275 wrote:
Never knew it was that bad resoultion for XP. I think the best on was NT4.0 Workstation, and the Worst Windows ME.

The NT4 splash screen that comes up between boot and logon is good, but the actual boot screen is terrible (it's just plain blue with the version number at the top - it looks like it's just come straight out of DOS!). 2000 and XP are too low resolution and lo-colour - look at the colours in the 2000 one, for example. I don't know why it can't be like on Mac OS X, where the boot screen is the same resolution as the rest of it (1280x1024 in my VMware installation) and there's decent graphics (like the pulsating progress bar) and everything.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:21 am 
Donator

Which Mac OS X boot screen are you referring to? The white one with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel or the one with the blue progress bar?

Regarding the NT 4.0 boot screen, the logon picture of Workstation (winnt(256).bmp) is beautiful, indeed, but I think the Server logon picture (lanmannt.bmp/lanma256.bmp) is too simple and boring.

Generally, the boot screens I like the most are the ones from Windows 95 and 98, as the Me and 2000 ones have too much white in my opinion and the XP/2003 ones are 640x480x16 which does not look good on big screens and especially TFTs that blow up the image until it fills the screen...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:41 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Which Mac OS X boot screen are you referring to? The white one with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel or the one with the blue progress bar?

The one with the blue progress bar was what I meant about the boot screen having the same awesome graphics as the main OS, although both are at 1280x1024 (or at least they are in my VMware setup - not sure about on a real Mac as all my Macs are too old for OS X).

Yeah, XP boot screen on my laptop's 17" screen is horrible - really fuzzy (because it's not native resolution) and bad quality. Is there a way to get it to stay in the middle of the screen and the rest to be blank? I'm sure I have seen laptops that do that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:52 am 
FTP Access

Does anyone have a Memphis Bootscreen-Scrrenshot?

Or show Memphis the Win95 Bootscreen? I can't remember. :oops:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:02 am 
Donator

Quote:
The one with the blue progress bar was what I meant about the boot screen having the same awesome graphics as the main OS, although both are at 1280x1024 (or at least they are in my VMware setup - not sure about on a real Mac as all my Macs are too old for OS X).

You're right, but I'm not sure if this is the actual boot screen. I'd say this is the login screen as it's displayed by the LoginWindow process that kicks in after the graphical subsystem and the graphics drivers have been loaded. You can compare that to the Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 login screen which is in the native resolution, too.

OS X's boot screen is, if I get it right, the white screen with the Apple logo and the spinning progress bar. But I think this is in the monitor's native resolution as well because it looks just fine and clear on my two (real) Macs – and one uses a 1280x800 screen, the other one has a 1680x1050 one.

I know what you're saying about the notebooks' displays. My current Apple MacBook (which has a 1280x800 display) displays the 640x480 Windows XP boot screen in full-screen mode which looks awful and fuzzy, no way to change that. My previous notebook had an option in the BIOS that determined if smaller resolutions than the native 1024x768 were to be expanded or not. I had this set to disabled and the Win2k/XP boot screens were looking awesome on the screen. :D

(By the way, when I had my TFT connected to my old Windows box (via DVI), it would not come to live until the graphics driver was loaded and it was switched to its native resolution of 1680x1050. That way, I didn't have to worry about the ugly Windows boot screen because it was not even displayed! :) And when the login screen appeared, it was displayed at the native resolution and looking beautiful.)

@joecool

Have a look at:
http://air101.ai.funpic.de/Windows-Screenshots/Images/98/1351/memphis_1351_1.jpg
http://air101.ai.funpic.de/Windows-Screenshots/Images/98/1511/1.jpg
http://air101.ai.funpic.de/Windows-Screenshots/Images/98/1588/1.jpg

The 1st and 2nd one is from Memphis Build 1351 and 1511, respectively and the 3rd one is from Memphis Build 1588, called Windows 98 Beta 3.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:37 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Quote:

You're right, but I'm not sure if this is the actual boot screen. I'd say this is the login screen as it's displayed by the LoginWindow process that kicks in after the graphical subsystem and the graphics drivers have been loaded. You can compare that to the Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 login screen which is in the native resolution, too.

So it loads the OS during the bit where the Apple logo is displayed and there's the spinning thing underneath, does it? What does it do during the bit with the progress bar - it's surely too long for it just to be logging on (although the spinning bit does actually take longer than the progress bar bit, now I think of it). I'd like to understand OS X better really - I've only played with it a bit in VMware and PearPC - I'd quite like to get a real Mac for it (an old G3 or something). I have some old Macs already, but nothing that can run OS X.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:44 am 
FTP Access

@empireum

Many thanks :)

---

I Have found on my old HDD screenshots from the Beta2 Build 2462 of Whistler (German Edition)

The Bootscreen:

if anyone is interested, i have also other Screenshots from this Build ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:52 am 
FTP Access

joecool wrote:
@empireum

Many thanks :)

---

I Have found on my old HDD screenshots from the Beta2 Build 2462 of Whistler (German Edition)

The Bootscreen:

if anyone is interested, i have also other Screenshots from this Build ;)

Please. I've already forgotten how Whistler looked :oops:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:29 am 
Donator

Quote:

Great, I'm sure people will be interested. I see you're from Germany – I am as well :) As for the Memphis boot screens – you're welcome :)

Quote:
So it loads the OS during the bit where the Apple logo is displayed and there's the spinning thing underneath, does it?

Yes, correct. If you boot with the "-v" switch or switch to verbose mode in any way, it'll actually tell you what it's doing. Loading the kernel, loading drivers, initializing hardware and the Aqua subsystem. And so on...

Quote:
What does it do during the bit with the progress bar - it's surely too long for it just to be logging on (although the spinning bit does actually take longer than the progress bar bit, now I think of it).

During that time, it's loading the services (file sharing and stuff), IIRC. Mac OS X versions prior to 10.4 showed what they were loading, 10.4 will only say "Starting Mac OS X..." but there's not much to display in 10.4 by then, actually, because 10.4 is loading most of its services on demand. That's why that progress bar bit is faster than in 10.3... :D

Quote:
I'd like to understand OS X better really - I've only played with it a bit in VMware and PearPC - I'd quite like to get a real Mac for it (an old G3 or something). I have some old Macs already, but nothing that can run OS X.

Well, here's what I have done to the poor OS X:

(1) Installed Windows on my Apple MacBook (that ships with OS X!), installed VMware, and installed OS X within VMware – although I had it running natively on the hardware it was meant to run on! :)

(2) Ran the Windows version of PearPC on my MacBook using Darwine (a special version of the WINE project that enables you to run some Windows programs on Linux/Unix on x86 hardware, and, in the case of Darwine, on the Intel version of Mac OS X) and installed Mac OS X within it :) So, it was like this:

Mac OS X (Intel) --> Wine --> PearPC (Win32) --> Mac OS X (PowerPC)

Am I crazy?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:39 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
(1) Installed Windows on my Apple MacBook (that ships with OS X!), installed VMware, and installed OS X within VMware – although I had it running natively on the hardware it was meant to run on! :)

So if you do that, can you install the regular version of OSX86 that comes on DVD with the Mac, or do you have to use the cracked version that you normally have to use in VMware - can OSX detect the TPM through VMware?

empireum wrote:
Am I crazy?

Yup :P (sorry ;))

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:04 am 
FTP Access

here the Screenshots:

Whistler Beta2 Build 2462 - German Edition

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:07 am 
Donator

Quote:
So if you do that, can you install the regular version of OSX86 that comes on DVD with the Mac, or do you have to use the cracked version that you normally have to use in VMware - can OSX detect the TPM through VMware?

You still have to use the cracked version.
The TPM (which is not accessible within VMware, as it emulates/simulates a PC with a standard i440BX mainboard, IIRC) is not the only problem you'll encounter, the other problem is that the "real" OSX86 uses EFI to boot which is not present in VMware, either. So you have to use the "other" OSX86.
On the other hand, I believe the hacked OSX86 that doesn't rely on EFI for booting, but uses Darwin's BIOS-based boot loader won't boot on a real Intel Mac either, because the BIOS emulation code that's used is not compatible enough. In fact, the BIOS emulation that Apple has implemented in these Intel Macs seems to be good enough to satisfy Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista, but booting Linux using grub (and the emulated BIOS) calls some problems. Anyway, Linux is able to boot using EFI (and IIRC, Windows Vista should support EFI as well), so it's not that much of a problem.

Quote:
empireum wrote:
Am I crazy?

Yup Razz (sorry Wink)

No problem, I did expect something like this :D I'm just playing around with my toys... Here's something similar: I installed Bochs on my Linux PDA with a 3.7" VGA screen and booted Windows 98 on it :) Took forever, but worked. :) I was not patient enough to try XP, though...

@joecool

Do you have a screenshot of the classic logon screen? Where it asks you to enter user name and password? I love the Whistler logo for some reason. I have Whistler Server build 2465 (English), by the way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:42 am 
FTP Access

The Pics from the Setup are now complete....
The Pics (including "classic-logon") i will upload tomorrow ;)

lg

Top  Profile