BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 21h, 39m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 2724MB of 7755MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: hal's        Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:07 pm 
FTP Access

Do you all think if I port 2k hal's to neptune it would help the mysterious video driver problem?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Bad idea        Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:29 am 
FTP Access

Bad idea mate, it can lead to problems says Microsoft BDD.

I say go for it, other people have got this working and they managed to get their favourite piece of hardware installed. You'll have to be careful otherwise it's a BSOD (saying hal.dll is missing).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:54 am 
FTP Access

Do you know what the difference is between 2k and neptune besides the obvious gui changes.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:38 pm 
That HAL has given me lots of headaches. Eventually I got left with an error message, something along the lines of "load needed files for hal.dll" or something.

I had replaced the original hal.dll (and some other files) with the 2000 one because of some error after installing DirectX 9.0c and it worked. However, after installing Windows Installer v2 and rebooting, my Neptune was dead in the water with the above error.

Tried recovering, repairing - nice integration of SFC with the CD boot, BTW - but nothing could restore the functional state, so I just had to reformat and reinstall, after all that tweaking. :(

BTW, I wonder why the only format options are FAT (16) and NTFS... I would've expected at least FAT32 as an option and that much discussed WinFS. :^)

Ah... video drivers were not much of a problem if at all - ancient videocard anyway, Cirrus Logic CL5446-based - but the sound drivers were a real pain, took hours to get them work - also an old card, CMI 8330.

All in all, I'm quite interested in your work here, dirtwarrior; hopefully you'll manage to get the hal upgraded and more stable. Cheers and good luck! :wink: