BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 1h, 52m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 6185MB of 11285MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What's the thing you always wanted from Windows?        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:44 pm 
Donator

Post what you think is the most needed, long-waited feature you want Microsoft to include in future releases of Windows.

I think it's a true (independent of the GUI) command like. Because, sometimes (and most of the time, if you're like me), the command line is much more convenient and efficient than the GUI, and having to run the entire GUI just to use a command window is unnecessary. Not to mention that servers will benefit a lot from not having to run a GUI all the time (did you ever hear of a UNIX server that ran X11 24/7?).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:49 pm 
Donator

Same for me. Okay, MS is going that route (kinda...) with Longhorn Server Core, but it's still running a GUI.

What I'd want is something like Debian's APT to manage installed apps and such. No more looking on the internet for setup.exe, no more DLL hell.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP1
I've always wanted to change the icon of every file (just like changing the folders' icons since XP).

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 pm 
Donator

Stability. :)

Actually, I would like a true command line, also

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
@Jeff : Windows has plenty of that :D

I would like an easier / better way to manage open applications. Not virtual desktop, I really don't get on with them.

Something that would grey out all the windows that werent active, so you could have a "elevated" window, and the rest would be darker in the background.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2.1 RTM
My Windows XP Pro wish list:

Better DOS compatibility
Windows 95 shell (without active desktop)
Less bloat
ALL Windows applications listed in install/uninstall windows applications
More "fun stuff" on the Windows XP CD (like the Win 95 CD)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:41 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
I think they should re-release Win95 with more support and NT Based but with the same old shell. I find it easy to get work done in a eyecandy free enviroment tbh

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:43 am 
FTP Access

kichimi wrote:
NT Based but with the same old shell

Wouldn't that just be NT4?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2.1 RTM
kichimi wrote:
I think they should re-release Win95 with more support and NT Based but with the same old shell. I find it easy to get work done in a eyecandy free enviroment tbh

Yeah. And dont forget MS-DOS 9.0, now with NTFS support :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP1
hjort wrote:
Yeah. And dont forget MS-DOS 9.0, now with NTFS support :)

You have MS-DOS 7.1 by Wengier Wu and FreeDOS(/32), although these don't have NTFS support.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
Win3.1 shell and NO so called user friendly (including infinite hint and determine things without asking)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:24 am 
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

This is more than I could ever want. Shows what Vista is really capable of doing (and yes, the operating system is, indeed, Vista)

PostPost subject: Explorer tabs        Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:30 am 
Donator

I would like to see tabs on the regular windows explorer. That way if Im in x:\temp, I can create a new tab that starts in x:\temp

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:21 pm 
FTP Access

tpemail wrote:
Win3.1 shell and NO so called user friendly (including infinite hint and determine things without asking)
Ditto. I hate the Windows Explorer. Nevertheless, Windows 95 on. The only reason I have Windows is because my HP Pavilion computers can't run Mac OS X (lol), and I can't stand using a trackpad, regardless of it being Mac OS or Windows. I have to have a mouse.

So, either Windows 3.1 Program Manager again, or no Windows...

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:28 pm 
FTP Access

While we are using Windows 3.1, why don't we just use DOS? Old school FTW!!

Really, I think that using older and older operating systems is quite pointless beyond a point. Windows 3.1 supports literally no modern programs let alone modern hardware. The interface is really actually counter-intuitive. I might be sounding like someone who knows little of the beauty of windows, but I personally just use windows as a way to get to my programs. If I can't get to my programs then there really isn't a reason to use Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Explorer tabs        Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:21 pm 
Donator

RentedMule wrote:
I would like to see tabs on the regular windows explorer. That way if Im in x:\temp, I can create a new tab that starts in x:\temp

use this tool:QT TabBar ( http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/Quizo/ ... html#qttab ) :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:24 pm 
FTP Access

Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
- Officially changeable desktop environment / filemanager (likewise in linux KDE/Gnome)

- Custom setup options for Windows (likewise it was in their older 9x/NT3.x/4 releases)

- 16-bit support for x64 editions, better dos emulation (this would be nice, even if they'd offer it in a separate download)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:04 pm 
The thing I really want, and was in the Longhorn beta's is a clock on the welcome screen! It was a super addition when it was there, but it's gone when Vista came!

Also, better 64 bit drivers, as many manufacturers still don't provide 64 bit driver's, and 64 bit is the future!

Tom :)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:02 am 
FTP Access

- better backward compatibility
- modularity, like in Linux
- few different shells

tpemail wrote:

You can extract PROGMAN.EXE from NT 4.0 CD to Windows XP, download Win 3.11 skin and delete explorer.exe process at start...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:17 am 
FTP Access

flashstar wrote:
...If I can't get to my programs then there really isn't a reason to use Windows...

Um, must I talk about the horrors of accessing your programs through the long Explorer Start Menu chains? I mean, once you close Notepad, to start it again, you have to go through Start > Programs > Accessories > Notepad. In Program Manager, all you have to do (when closed) is press Enter. That's it.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
HakerPL wrote:
You can extract PROGMAN.EXE from NT 4.0 CD to Windows XP, download Win 3.11 skin and delete explorer.exe process at start...

ehm...where could I find a Win3.1x skin that is suitable?
When I google around I always find nothing that could work without a 3rd party software... :?

Top  Profile  WWW