What's the thing you always wanted from Windows?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
ppc_digger
Donator

What's the thing you always wanted from Windows?

Post by ppc_digger »

Post what you think is the most needed, long-waited feature you want Microsoft to include in future releases of Windows.

I think it's a true (independent of the GUI) command like. Because, sometimes (and most of the time, if you're like me), the command line is much more convenient and efficient than the GUI, and having to run the entire GUI just to use a command window is unnecessary. Not to mention that servers will benefit a lot from not having to run a GUI all the time (did you ever hear of a UNIX server that ran X11 24/7?).

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Same for me. Okay, MS is going that route (kinda...) with Longhorn Server Core, but it's still running a GUI.

What I'd want is something like Debian's APT to manage installed apps and such. No more looking on the internet for setup.exe, no more DLL hell.

Xammer
FTP Access

Post by Xammer »

I've always wanted to change the icon of every file (just like changing the folders' icons since XP).

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

Stability.

Actually, I would like a true command line, also
-Jeff

hougtimo
FTP Access

Post by hougtimo »

@Jeff : Windows has plenty of that

I would like an easier / better way to manage open applications. Not virtual desktop, I really don't get on with them.

Something that would grey out all the windows that werent active, so you could have a "elevated" window, and the rest would be darker in the background.

hjort
FTP Access

Post by hjort »

My Windows XP Pro wish list:

Better DOS compatibility
Windows 95 shell (without active desktop)
Less bloat
ALL Windows applications listed in install/uninstall windows applications
More "fun stuff" on the Windows XP CD (like the Win 95 CD)
My gaming machine: AST Advantage 6066d. Cyrix 66MHz 486DX. 4MB RAM. 512KB Cirrus Logic onboard graphics. Creativa Vibra 16 ISA. 520MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 40x CD-ROM. MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1

kichimi
Donator

Post by kichimi »

I think they should re-release Win95 with more support and NT Based but with the same old shell. I find it easy to get work done in a eyecandy free enviroment tbh
The better candies are in the cage

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

kichimi wrote:NT Based but with the same old shell
Wouldn't that just be NT4?

hjort
FTP Access

Post by hjort »

kichimi wrote:I think they should re-release Win95 with more support and NT Based but with the same old shell. I find it easy to get work done in a eyecandy free enviroment tbh
Yeah. And dont forget MS-DOS 9.0, now with NTFS support
My gaming machine: AST Advantage 6066d. Cyrix 66MHz 486DX. 4MB RAM. 512KB Cirrus Logic onboard graphics. Creativa Vibra 16 ISA. 520MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 40x CD-ROM. MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1

Xammer
FTP Access

Post by Xammer »

hjort wrote: Yeah. And dont forget MS-DOS 9.0, now with NTFS support
You have MS-DOS 7.1 by Wengier Wu and FreeDOS(/32), although these don't have NTFS support.

tpemail
FTP Access

Post by tpemail »

Win3.1 shell and NO so called user friendly (including infinite hint and determine things without asking)

Le Master

Post by Le Master »

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

This is more than I could ever want. Shows what Vista is really capable of doing (and yes, the operating system is, indeed, Vista)

RentedMule
Donator

Explorer tabs

Post by RentedMule »

I would like to see tabs on the regular windows explorer. That way if Im in x:\temp, I can create a new tab that starts in x:\temp

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Post by ddrmaxromance »

tpemail wrote:Win3.1 shell and NO so called user friendly (including infinite hint and determine things without asking)
Ditto. I hate the Windows Explorer. Nevertheless, Windows 95 on. The only reason I have Windows is because my HP Pavilion computers can't run Mac OS X (lol), and I can't stand using a trackpad, regardless of it being Mac OS or Windows. I have to have a mouse.

So, either Windows 3.1 Program Manager again, or no Windows...
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

flashstar
FTP Access

Post by flashstar »

While we are using Windows 3.1, why don't we just use DOS? Old school FTW!!

Really, I think that using older and older operating systems is quite pointless beyond a point. Windows 3.1 supports literally no modern programs let alone modern hardware. The interface is really actually counter-intuitive. I might be sounding like someone who knows little of the beauty of windows, but I personally just use windows as a way to get to my programs. If I can't get to my programs then there really isn't a reason to use Windows.

Luckie
Donator

Re: Explorer tabs

Post by Luckie »

RentedMule wrote:I would like to see tabs on the regular windows explorer. That way if Im in x:\temp, I can create a new tab that starts in x:\temp
use this tool:QT TabBar ( http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/Quizo/ ... html#qttab )
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

Grisa
FTP Access

Post by Grisa »

- Officially changeable desktop environment / filemanager (likewise in linux KDE/Gnome)

- Custom setup options for Windows (likewise it was in their older 9x/NT3.x/4 releases)

- 16-bit support for x64 editions, better dos emulation (this would be nice, even if they'd offer it in a separate download)

Tom Stanley

Post by Tom Stanley »

The thing I really want, and was in the Longhorn beta's is a clock on the welcome screen! It was a super addition when it was there, but it's gone when Vista came!

Also, better 64 bit drivers, as many manufacturers still don't provide 64 bit driver's, and 64 bit is the future!

Tom

HakerPL
FTP Access

Post by HakerPL »

- better backward compatibility
- modularity, like in Linux
- few different shells
tpemail wrote: Win3.1 shell and NO so called user friendly (including infinite hint and determine things without asking)
You can extract PROGMAN.EXE from NT 4.0 CD to Windows XP, download Win 3.11 skin and delete explorer.exe process at start...

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Post by ddrmaxromance »

flashstar wrote:...If I can't get to my programs then there really isn't a reason to use Windows...
Um, must I talk about the horrors of accessing your programs through the long Explorer Start Menu chains? I mean, once you close Notepad, to start it again, you have to go through Start > Programs > Accessories > Notepad. In Program Manager, all you have to do (when closed) is press Enter. That's it.
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

tpemail
FTP Access

Post by tpemail »

HakerPL wrote: You can extract PROGMAN.EXE from NT 4.0 CD to Windows XP, download Win 3.11 skin and delete explorer.exe process at start...
ehm...where could I find a Win3.1x skin that is suitable?
When I google around I always find nothing that could work without a 3rd party software...