ReadyBoost drives

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

ReadyBoost drives

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Just wondering if anyone here is using/has tried ReadyBoost on Vista yet? I'm thinking of getting a drive to use with it for when I install Vista soon, but the ones that are actually described as ReadyBoost Compatible are much more expensive, about £15-£20 for a 2 GB one. Do any of the cheaper ones meet the specifications for ReadyBoost and is there any way of finding out, as they don't seem to give you all those figures like the speed etc, or do only ones actually specifically designed for ReadyBoost meet the requirements? Most of them don't mention ReadyBoost or give any indication of the speed for you to check them against the requirements.

idontknow
FTP Access

Post by idontknow »

I tried ready boost on my SanDisk cruzer micro 1gb (which is a mid-range device). I did not notice any performace boost, but I did notice that the USB was being used quite a bit (which isn't good for the drive) So I disabled it. For those who want to try, I'd recommend a new USB Flash Drive, but I don't think it will last very long.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I once tried it with my 2GB iPod nano, but didn't notice much difference either. But the box had much RAM, so maybe that's why I didn't notice it.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

I used it on a couple of flash drives, one generic and one kingston, both of which were 2gb models. i noticed very little difference, despite me having only 512mb ram, the bare minimum. this was on RC1 though, and one of the flash drives was quite damaged, and the other i didnt use much. most importantly though, i didnt really run any other applications, as i was just testing the system. ill try it later tonight and run a few benches, see the difference. as for compatible flash drives, most should work now, though you'll only get the best performance from the more expensive ones.

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Grrrr, I'd finished writing my reply here but not put it on, and Firefox crashed and took it with it!

Anyway, I think I was just going to say is it worth getting one at a cost of about £20 then, or will the difference not be worth it? I have seen things saying that it makes a noticeable difference, but I'm not so sure now. How long had you had your Vista installed for, as I think ReadyBoost uses SuperFetch, which gets better over time as it learns what you use the most?

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

i had had vista installed for a few months, though i had only been using readyboost for a couple of weeks and, as i said, the flash drive i was using had was constantly deteriorating and my other had very little space available.

s_nd

Post by s_nd »

hmmm, how come all this stuff seems to work well with only i. without it, my 512mb system lags while playing games, with it, little or no lag. more often than not, theres no lag at all. id be getting a 2gb system soon so i wont be using it much anymore.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

yes, few days for holidays, but it hasnt made the pc faster (sry, i cant do the times like simple past,... very well)

now ive got 2gb ram and its fast enough

doggy
FTP Access

Post by doggy »

I have lags with Dreamscene Wallpaper. I don't know why. But only in 32 bit, not in 64. I have a Samsung 2GB Tinystick.

doggy

tehosc
FTP Access

Post by tehosc »

ReadyBoost ain't quite friendly.

The processing power or the memory is required more. Therefore, your USB runs faster. I wouldn't use ReadyBoost unless I have no other applications running such as Photoshop etc. and I'm transferring stuff to the USB, that's ok to use.

Yes, I've used it before. Probably forget the feature.

-S

Richard0612
FTP Access

Post by Richard0612 »

I have used ReadyBoost on an Integral 1Gb, it worked, but had absolutely no effect on performance at all. This was tested on a Packard Bell laptop [MV46-008] with 1gig of RAM [so that could be why I didn't notice any effect, large amount of RAM to start with]:

Word start up time:
Before: 1 sec
After: 1 sec

Publisher start up time:
Before: 3 sec
After: 2 sec

Paint.NET start up time:
Before: Instant
After: Instant

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

USB sticks are just too slow still. They need to get the speed up on them to the full speed of USB for it to be of any real use.