BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 17h, 1m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 4510MB of 10939MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: ReadyBoost drives        Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:13 am 
FTP Access

Just wondering if anyone here is using/has tried ReadyBoost on Vista yet? I'm thinking of getting a drive to use with it for when I install Vista soon, but the ones that are actually described as ReadyBoost Compatible are much more expensive, about £15-£20 for a 2 GB one. Do any of the cheaper ones meet the specifications for ReadyBoost and is there any way of finding out, as they don't seem to give you all those figures like the speed etc, or do only ones actually specifically designed for ReadyBoost meet the requirements? Most of them don't mention ReadyBoost or give any indication of the speed for you to check them against the requirements.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:55 am 
FTP Access

I tried ready boost on my SanDisk cruzer micro 1gb (which is a mid-range device). I did not notice any performace boost, but I did notice that the USB was being used quite a bit (which isn't good for the drive) So I disabled it. For those who want to try, I'd recommend a new USB Flash Drive, but I don't think it will last very long.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:16 am 
Donator

I once tried it with my 2GB iPod nano, but didn't notice much difference either. But the box had much RAM, so maybe that's why I didn't notice it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I used it on a couple of flash drives, one generic and one kingston, both of which were 2gb models. i noticed very little difference, despite me having only 512mb ram, the bare minimum. this was on RC1 though, and one of the flash drives was quite damaged, and the other i didnt use much. most importantly though, i didnt really run any other applications, as i was just testing the system. ill try it later tonight and run a few benches, see the difference. as for compatible flash drives, most should work now, though you'll only get the best performance from the more expensive ones.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:39 am 
FTP Access

Grrrr, I'd finished writing my reply here but not put it on, and Firefox crashed and took it with it!

Anyway, I think I was just going to say is it worth getting one at a cost of about £20 then, or will the difference not be worth it? I have seen things saying that it makes a noticeable difference, but I'm not so sure now. How long had you had your Vista installed for, as I think ReadyBoost uses SuperFetch, which gets better over time as it learns what you use the most?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
i had had vista installed for a few months, though i had only been using readyboost for a couple of weeks and, as i said, the flash drive i was using had was constantly deteriorating and my other had very little space available.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:44 am 

hmmm, how come all this stuff seems to work well with only i. without it, my 512mb system lags while playing games, with it, little or no lag. more often than not, theres no lag at all. id be getting a 2gb system soon so i wont be using it much anymore. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:56 pm 
yes, few days for holidays, but it hasnt made the pc faster (sry, i cant do the times like simple past,... very well)

now ive got 2gb ram and its fast enough ;)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:21 am 
FTP Access

I have lags with Dreamscene Wallpaper. I don't know why. But only in 32 bit, not in 64. I have a Samsung 2GB Tinystick.

doggy

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:39 am 
FTP Access

ReadyBoost ain't quite friendly.

The processing power or the memory is required more. Therefore, your USB runs faster. I wouldn't use ReadyBoost unless I have no other applications running such as Photoshop etc. and I'm transferring stuff to the USB, that's ok to use.

Yes, I've used it before. Probably forget the feature.

-S

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RC1 (Build 7100)
I have used ReadyBoost on an Integral 1Gb, it worked, but had absolutely no effect on performance at all. This was tested on a Packard Bell laptop [MV46-008] with 1gig of RAM [so that could be why I didn't notice any effect, large amount of RAM to start with]:

Word start up time:
Before: 1 sec
After: 1 sec

Publisher start up time:
Before: 3 sec
After: 2 sec

Paint.NET start up time:
Before: Instant
After: Instant

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:02 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
USB sticks are just too slow still. They need to get the speed up on them to the full speed of USB for it to be of any real use.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW