BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 14h, 56m | CPU: 36% | MEM: 6127MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:47 am 
FTP Access

When I try booting the Longhorn 4074 dvd on my MacBook, the installer will freeze and crash due to (I suspect) the bios that Apple uses for Boot Camp not recognizing the disc as Windows XP or Vista/7 OR the installer Longhorn uses is incompatible with the bios.

Would there be anyway to make an install based on the Vista installer or something like that? I really don't know anything about this stuff. I'm not worried about drivers, I just want to get it installed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
F44 Control wrote:
When I try booting the Longhorn 4074 dvd on my MacBook, the installer will freeze and crash due to (I suspect) the bios that Apple uses for Boot Camp not recognizing the disc as Windows XP or Vista/7 OR the installer Longhorn uses is incompatible with the bios.

Would there be anyway to make an install based on the Vista installer or something like that? I really don't know anything about this stuff. I'm not worried about drivers, I just want to get it installed.

better use it on a virtual machine :|
i dont know if longhorn suports MAC's,but i gues the answer is 100% NO
there were problems with pc drivers and support.. talk about mac :)

good luck

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:53 am 
FTP Access

Better idea, use it on VMware Fusion with the added support on 3D Acceleration if you want to experiment on DWM/Aero.

I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro so if you want to know a bit more about Longhorn, then I'll see you on M1.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:10 am 
FTP Access

Swift C. wrote:
Better idea, use it on VMware Fusion with the added support on 3D Acceleration if you want to experiment on DWM/Aero.

I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro so if you want to know a bit more about Longhorn, then I'll see you on M1.

3D acceleration doesn't make Aero work on VMware Fusion, unless you're talking about a special build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
4074 runs very smoothly under VMware on my Macbook Pro.

The installer will splutter and die if the BIOS date isn't set to April 2004. After you bootcamp and restart it's all down to the disc, which is independent of the Mac. At least that's my understanding of it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:24 pm 
FTP Access

Oh, well that makes sense.

So is it true DWM doesn't work in VMware Fusion?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
F44 Control wrote:
Oh, well that makes sense.

So is it true DWM doesn't work in VMware Fusion?

Im not sure, but a lot of features dont work in Mac / VMware Fusion cause of chipsets and all that other crap :P Your best bet is to use a 100% IBM or Compatible PC :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 pm 
Donator

Actually a machine that has an ISA/EISA bus and is single processor (e_isa_up, hal.dll) :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Windows OCManage wrote:
single processor (e_isa_up, hal.dll) :wink:

For some reason I think a my dual processor (and quad-core) setup is just as compatible :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:17 am 
Donator

In Windows FLP delete install.wim and insert Longhorn's wim to there. But you'll need Windows FLP and Longhorn 4074 key both. Or just play with wim files. This both OSes use xImage 6.0.4059.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:07 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Macs are GOOD computers. Its just the EFI doesnt really let you set the date. :(

I hate anti-Mac zealots.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:28 am 
FTP Access

You could always try getting the WIM file out of the DVD, and ImageX'ing it to the drive (DarWine needed)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Android 4.1
If I were you, I would install through VMWare or Paralells into a BootCamp partition. Or use NTFS-3g to copy the contents of a VM to the NTFS partition.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
LH4039
I don't see a point to install 4074 on mac! Mac is better than 4074... but well i'm a LH fan so can't complain!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?        Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Because HE maybe dont like so much or he just want the full functions of it, running a OS in a VM is not the best way to get full performance out of your pc.

EDIT: About bootcamp:
You can just run a Windows based OS or any other x86 OS on a mac without using the Botocamp assistant on Mac OS X. Just put CD in the Mac.
Reboot hold ALT key, wait and you should see a cd name: "Windows" move with the arrow keys and hit Enter. Then wait and you can install Windows or linux what ever you like. The only problem is that you need a new partition and you can't resize the Mac OS X partition whil installing Windows. So only thing the Bootcamp assistant does is making a new partition and let you insert the Installation Disk of windows and reboot the computer.

After installing windows you just insert the Mac OS X cd while in Windows. Wich will install the drivers egg sound an grapihc drivers.

Bootcamp isn't a program its a name for a method.... and a simple tool on Mac OS X.
Let this be clear....

Top  Profile  WWW