BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 2h, 22m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 4804MB of 10859MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
I downloaded a version of XP call Windows Vienna (xp SP3). It looks pretty good (I'll try to get a Screen shot later) and has some freeware added to it. Unfortunately when i scroll in windows or drag them around It moves fairly slowly. I think it was customized a bit and that it partially why its slow... does anyone have an idea on how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:12 pm 
FTP Access

As you have noticed it's not original Windows Vienna (which has never leaked), but tuned Windows XP. Don't bother to install such systems, they may contain viruses (I don't know if this one does, maybe not). You'd better make your one customized for yourself with, for instance, nLite or WAIK.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
pkubaj wrote:
As you have noticed it's not original Windows Vienna (which has never leaked), but tuned Windows XP. Don't bother to install such systems, they may contain viruses (I don't know if this one does, maybe not). You'd better make your one customized for yourself with, for instance, nLite or WAIK.

I installed it on a friends computer that didn't have an OS on it, it doesn't have any viruses, but as I said seems a bit slows in the windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:39 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
While there may not be any viruses, you equally have no idea what they have done. Using such OSes is a bad idea.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
hounsell wrote:
While there may not be any viruses, you equally have no idea what they have done. Using such OSes is a bad idea.

I know its not the smartest idea but i just felt like testing it and i used a friends computer (he doesn't care) i'm not actually going to use it (really slow), and before i install something else i'm going to use killdisk to wipe the hard drive clean.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:49 pm 
Donator

Sports8632 wrote:
before i install something else i'm going to use killdisk to wipe the hard drive clean.

All you need to do is a quick format of the disk on the next OS install, no need to waste hours.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
OK thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Heh. I remember having WindowsBlinds on my Windows Me box a few years ago, and at one point skinned it to look like the Vienna mockups. I also tried the Windows 3.1 skin, but it was crap.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
marktuson wrote:
Heh. I remember having WindowsBlinds on my Windows Me box a few years ago, and at one point skinned it to look like the Vienna mockups. I also tried the Windows 3.1 skin, but it was crap.

I recently fixed that 3.1 skin to work on Windows 7 and use it when I feel nostalgic... ^^

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
Yushatak wrote:
I recently fixed that 3.1 skin to work on Windows 7 and use it when I feel nostalgic... ^^

Could you upload the fixed one somewhere for us?
Offtopic Comment
I'm still waiting for a torrent of WB 7

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
ReactOS wrote:
Yushatak wrote:

Could you upload the fixed one somewhere for us?
Offtopic Comment
I'm still waiting for a torrent of WB 7

Yeah I gave in and bought it.. couldn't stand it anymore! lol.. This is the first one to be tied heavily to impulse, so I expect it will be much less torrentable than previous releases.

I will upload the theme somewhere, I basically got every Win3.11 WB theme I could find, and only one or two of them worked right on XP. I tried them all on 7, and two of them worked, one looked horrible, and one didn't theme half the controls but did the taskbar wonderfully. I took resource after resource and updated the one that did the taskbar nicely (since it used UIS2 and the other UIS1) painstakingly until I thought it looked alright. It's not 100% perfect, but it's better than anything else out there at the moment.

I'll post here when I've got it uploaded.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vienna?        Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows Whistler 2202
Sports8632 wrote:
I downloaded a version of XP call Windows Vienna (xp SP3). It looks pretty good (I'll try to get a Screen shot later) and has some freeware added to it. Unfortunately when i scroll in windows or drag them around It moves fairly slowly. I think it was customized a bit and that it partially why its slow... does anyone have an idea on how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

What?! Windows Vienna was NEVER leaked! It's fake! Take it off, it might have a Virus, Worm or a Trojan on it!

Top  Profile  YIM