BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 18d, 15h, 29m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5388MB of 11804MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
DBlake wrote:
Here's a method to get explorer in WinPE that was supposed to work for the old Betas of Vista and WAIK, I'm trying it right now as I'm posting this.

EDIT: The way to get explorer works...half-way. I also got WinVer working 100%.
Only problem with explorer is that there is no start button, and you can't browse files with explorer.....

EDIT2: I don't think Explorer will be a good idea...the BOOT.WIM with all the files required for it to work in it is over 400MB. let's stick with LiteStep or Blackbox or something of the nature.

Hey, can you send me everything you need to get winver working? Also, I got sysinternals bginfo running which is kinda cool although it doesn't report the OS version correctly. Also, I couldn't get the start bar working either we definently are better off sticking to a 3rd party shell or winfile.

Also, I made a cool little thing with startnet.cmd every time WinPE boots it will auto run any cmd file with autorun and a number in the name. So autorun.cmd is loaded first then autorun_2.cmd and so on.

@WildEye
I'll integrate your drivers for you, no problem.

Here's a little shot of bginfo running, sorry, I forgot to load a shell. As you can see bginfo works but doesn't report the OS version correctly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:45 am 
Donator

Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
ok, what you need is a copy of XP (SP2 or SP3) and Vista (any SP) or 7 (if you are using 7's WAIK).

1. Copy the Branding folder from the Vista/7 machine's Windows Directory and put it in the corresponding folder on the mounted Windows PE image (overwriting any files hat are there).

2. copy Winver.exe from the XP machine's System32 directory and paste it in the corresponding folder on the mounted Windows PE image.

this should get it working.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
DBlake wrote:
ok, what you need is a copy of XP (SP2 or SP3) and Vista (any SP) or 7 (if you are using 7's WAIK).

1. Copy the Branding folder from the Vista/7 machine's Windows Directory and put it in the corresponding folder on the mounted Windows PE image (overwriting any files hat are there).

2. copy Winver.exe from the XP machine's System32 directory and paste it in the corresponding folder on the mounted Windows PE image.

this should get it working.

Thanks, I'll PM you a link to the ISO that I've been working on. Which version of 7 have you been using for PE? I'm still using 7227 or whatever I was using in the original post.

I followed that guide to get winfile working in vista, instead of xp files I used files from the Server 2003 SP2 Evaluation Disk as Server 2003 is more similar to Vista than XP is. I also used them to stay out of a grey area of the rules, they are from an evaluation disk so I guess they can be distributed. My results can be downloaded below, I used both portions of the guide, so take ownership works as well. You should have no problem getting it working as your shell, or just running it as a program.

http://sharebee.com/2f8302f2

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
Well here's what we have so far. I found some kinda hacked up GeoShell that loads nu2menu from BartPE as it's start menu. But here's the problem...GeoShell absolutely refused to load, something with shdocvw.dll So I tried the file from 7, Vista, and XP (since WinPE never had this file in the first place) NONE of them worked. So I kept researching and I found someone talking about using the dll from ReactOS. So I downloaded the latest SVN build and added that dll into my WIM and lone behold GeoShell and Nu2Menu autoloaded fine! I then added the entries for winfile into the xml file that nu2menu reads and tried loading it. It also works fine. Here's a screenshot of everything I've done so for.

I guess I could have loaded winver.exe as well but I forgot. I also integrated my drivers and wildeye's.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
heres what i've accomplished so far:

BsLogon:

All Programs Integrated with BsExplorer:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
wow you guys are making huge progress in this...
cant wait to see the finial outcome :D

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
It's possible to get some GUI with WinPE, look at some XP-based rescue CDs, or VistaPE, which answers "Can it be installed to HDD". If you can't install to HDD, just fire up a Linux liveUSB and "dd" it from there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
I already have my PE booting from a flash drive. Which is pretty much the same method as an HDD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
This project has been renamed to the Nookota Project. Further discussion of this project will be done here at the new project home page.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:07 am 
Wow, very good to see progress in this... nice job.

PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
A critical Milestone for Nookota Project has been reached. Full changelog can be found here: http://nookota.sqweebs.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:40 am 
Donator

Id be happy to beta test this.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:20 am 
FTP Access

good idea a Vista PE is a good idea.

This has been done but on XP maybe you could get some ideas or something from that.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I could help beta test this if you need a beta tester

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:52 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
nookupeous, where is my spechal copy? I wants it :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
We will integrate your drivers into Milestone 2, due to be released soon. There will be a lot of bugfixes in M2 (and hopefully full Network support).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
Any chance you could post a link to the new location of the project? the Sqweebs link isn't working anymore and I lost the link to it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
We are currently in the progress of renting a server. In the next 5-7 days the new site should be up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:01 am 
FTP Access

I would like to test this. I have a spare computer with no OS. Where can I download this?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
The Nookota Team and I are proud to announce that Nookota Project is out of private pre-alpha! More info can be found at THIS SITE.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
Sure, I know this is an old topic, but I found something which may do some good for .net support on winPE:
http://www.deployvista.com/Blog/tabid/7 ... fault.aspx

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
Nookota Project has been feature-locked at Milestone 2 until the new shell is alpha-quality, but yes, good article.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE        Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
Hey just wanted to say that I'm back and really want to keep working on this project. DBlake, I gotta register a new MSN account, I'll PM you with my information when I register it.

Top  Profile