BetaArchive
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/

Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8188
Page 2 of 3

Author:  DBlake [ Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

How did you get that extracted?

Author:  nookupeous [ Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

DBlake wrote:
How did you get that extracted?


I installed Windows 7 7227 and then I installed the WAIK, Put my Win7 DVD in the drive, then I opened PE Tools Command Prompt and put in these two commands.

Code:
COPYPE.CMD x86 C:\Temp\x86_PE

OSCDIMG -bc:\temp\x86_pe\etfsboot.com -n -o c:\temp\x86_pe\iso c:\temp\x86_pe.iso


It dumps WinPE to a handy little bootable ISO that I can add stuff to and load in VirtualPC for testing.

Author:  DBlake [ Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

Nice, thanks for that.

EDIT: I found out how to inject drivers into WinPE: [LINK]

Author:  Rob Jansen [ Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

nookupeous wrote:
Also, later today I'll see if I can get the logon screen and winver.exe to work, that one guy's youtube page has tutorials.


If you have given access to the LAN or internet.
Mount this folder:

Code:
net use r: \\<pc>\C$

Replace:
<pc> with you're name of the PC (host) or IP.
C$ with the drive with you're current Windows 7 installation

Then go to \Windows\System32

and run WINVER.exe

(It works for the Server 2008 R2 Core installations).

Author:  DBlake [ Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

How to boot other shells in WinPE: [LINK]

Author:  nookupeous [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

Hey, still on vacation but here's what I've done:

got it booting XP SP3 explorer and Win7 7227 explorer (not on the same iso)
got a selector menu to pick which shell you want to boot
got a loader that removes 24hr timebomb
winver works
logon screen works
Intergrated VMWare Ethernet Drivers and other things
Windows Photo Viewer and MMC work
GUI tool to change wallpaper
wpeinit runs silently and then loads explorer
many small tweaks

will post screens tommorrow or the next.

any other ideas on what to put in...

Author:  pizzaboy192 [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

are you able to get a browser to work?
Tried any games? (Even on VMWare?)

Author:  nookupeous [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

pizzaboy192 wrote:
are you able to get a browser to work?
Tried any games? (Even on VMWare?)


IE works if you can get your network drivers to work. Haven't tried any other browsers, games definently work, they worked on the old winpe why not here.

Author:  pizzaboy192 [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

nookupeous wrote:
pizzaboy192 wrote:
are you able to get a browser to work?
Tried any games? (Even on VMWare?)


IE works if you can get your network drivers to work. Haven't tried any other browsers, games definently work, they worked on the old winpe why not here.

Do you think that, in order to save space, you could create a tool to slipstream the network and other drivers in when the user gets the file? I have a terribly slow connection, and every MB that I don't have to download is another MB that can go somewhere else.
The other thing is, can you install the drivers afterwords? (whereas my above question could be considered null and void)

Author:  nookupeous [ Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

pizzaboy192 wrote:
nookupeous wrote:
pizzaboy192 wrote:
are you able to get a browser to work?
Tried any games? (Even on VMWare?)


IE works if you can get your network drivers to work. Haven't tried any other browsers, games definently work, they worked on the old winpe why not here.

Do you think that, in order to save space, you could create a tool to slipstream the network and other drivers in when the user gets the file? I have a terribly slow connection, and every MB that I don't have to download is another MB that can go somewhere else.
The other thing is, can you install the drivers afterwords? (whereas my above question could be considered null and void)


That'd be kinda hard, slipstreaming a whole bunch of network drivers takes up alot of space, if you download the WAIK, you can put them in yourself, I can give you the commands. I can try to get all the network drivers off a vista/xp disc and include them that'd be a little easier.

Author:  DBlake [ Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

how did you get the XP Explorer to work?

Author:  nookupeous [ Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

DBlake wrote:
how did you get the XP Explorer to work?


I used this tutorial, I had to modify a few things as Vista/7's PE does some different stuff with the hives.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=15709

Also, just for lol's I got WinNT 3.51's file manager as the shell in one of my ISO's.

There's only so much I can do, soon, I'm probably going to need your help with AutoIt for installing progs during the installation or moving stuff to a RAMDisk or something.

Also, this is going to sound weird, but since I want to have this be a small little OS on a "Rescue Partition" or just a low footprint OS; I've been working with using WinPE to install WinPE. How weird does that sound?

Author:  nookupeous [ Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

nookupeous wrote:
DBlake wrote:
how did you get the XP Explorer to work?


I used this tutorial, I had to modify a few things as Vista/7's PE does some different stuff with the hives.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=15709

Also, just for lol's I got WinNT 3.51's file manager as the shell in one of my ISO's.

There's only so much I can do, soon, I'm probably going to need your help with AutoIt for installing progs during the installation or moving stuff to a RAMDisk or something.

Also, this is going to sound weird, but since I want to have this be a small little OS on a "Rescue Partition" or just a low footprint OS; I've been working with using WinPE to install WinPE. How weird does that sound?


Also, I may consider moving this project over to the PE from the Evaluation version of Server 2003. I can literally get 90+% of everything you'd need for a full fledged OS working on like 35MB of RAM.

Author:  DBlake [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

That would be useful, except...The links in the tut are dead...

Author:  James [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

Hey, I think that having an ISO with the Windows NT 3.51 UI on a WinPE kernel (I'm guessing its NT 5.x or 6.x) Would be awesome, Can I have it? If it works?

EDIT: A full OS on 35MB of RAM, I would use it on my 2GB machine. I guess to someone on 64MB it would be like Vista. :/, Over 50% RAM usage XD

Author:  nookupeous [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

WildEye001 wrote:
Hey, I think that having an ISO with the Windows NT 3.51 UI on a WinPE kernel (I'm guessing its NT 5.x or 6.x) Would be awesome, Can I have it? If it works?

EDIT: A full OS on 35MB of RAM, I would use it on my 2GB machine. I guess to someone on 64MB it would be like Vista. :/, Over 50% RAM usage XD


Yeah sure, I'll make you your own little ISO and upload it. Do you want it on 2003 Eval's PE or the one from a 7 leak?

I can put .NET (maybe sound) (probably DirectX) and there won't be a timebomb on 2K3 Eval's PE.

This is the file it will boot into...I'm not sure if you get the full Desktop with winfile or if that's just the file manager, so let me know that's the wrong file.

Here's a screenshot, I think I have the most recent version.

Image

Here's what one I've been working on looks like:

Image

It uses 2K3 Eval's PE with winfile. In that screenshot I was using it to repair some stuff on my friends home server thing. These are pretty useful little "operating systems".

Author:  James [ Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

Awesome. I want to use this so bad. maybe, I can get the old OS/2 interface running on it aswell. Since NT and OS/2 arent really all that different, why not?

Author:  nookupeous [ Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

WildEye001 wrote:
Awesome. I want to use this so bad. maybe, I can get the old OS/2 interface running on it aswell. Since NT and OS/2 arent really all that different, why not?


I have no experience with OS/2 actually, but I'm sure if you sent me it's equivalent of explorer (basically it's filemanager or shell) I bet I could get it working for you.

Also, if you want sound if your ISO, let me know what card you use and I'll integrate your driver and the other necessary components.

Author:  Kenneth [ Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

OS/2 Apps won't work. They use a slightly different executable format.

Author:  James [ Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

nookupeous: http://us.acer.com/acer-v2/service.do?L ... 2054404012

Notebook > Aspire > Aspire 5735Z

Could you please integrate:

*QMI WLAN
*Intel VGA
*Intel AHCI
*Audio
*TouchPad

:) Thanks

Author:  DBlake [ Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

Unfortunately, Winfile doesn't work under WinPE 2.0 (Vista SP1)

Author:  TheWahbinator [ Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

Try these directions:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~davidsch/vistafm/

Author:  DBlake [ Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

Here's a method to get explorer in WinPE that was supposed to work for the old Betas of Vista and WAIK, I'm trying it right now as I'm posting this.

EDIT: The way to get explorer works...half-way. I also got WinVer working 100%.
Only problem with explorer is that there is no start button, and you can't browse files with explorer.....

EDIT2: I don't think Explorer will be a good idea...the BOOT.WIM with all the files required for it to work in it is over 400MB. let's stick with LiteStep or Blackbox or something of the nature.

Author:  Marcello [ Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

DBlake wrote:
Unfortunately, Winfile doesn't work under WinPE 2.0 (Vista SP1)

Why not use WineFile, it works under WinPE2, I've done it myself.

Also, for those who didn't know, win16 apps don't work in winPE

Author:  nookupeous [ Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Low Resource/Low Footprint OS using WinPE

Thanks for that link for WinFile on vista!

I've been using vistape.net's method of getting explorer working.

@DBlake
Which method are you using for explorer?

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/