BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 23h, 10m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 6159MB of 10719MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
Are hacks such as these worth it? Is there any considerable performance boost by doing these sort of hacks?

http://www.windowsxlive.net/windows-ser ... rsion-pack

http://win2k3.msfn.org/index.htm

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
i can strongly suggest to use win2k3 instead of XP.. win2k3 is (if you tweak it well, like kill a few hundrede services etc., use correct drivers, enable hw accl. etc. etc.) ALOT faster than XP.. and more stable also i might add.

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
leonbollerup wrote:
i can strongly suggest to use win2k3 instead of XP.. win2k3 is (if you tweak it well, like kill a few hundrede services etc., use correct drivers, enable hw accl. etc. etc.) ALOT faster than XP.. and more stable also i might add.

I already knew that much, thanks anyway, but I was primarily asking about the hack that change the code base into workstation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
They all blow
I have used w2k3 as a workstation with those configuration things.

It's mostly speedy because of the services that have been disabled an eye-candy.
You can get XP to that speed too with some settings. There is really no real big advantage from what I saw.

Advantages are pretty much just the branding and configured to lightness.
But you can spend the same amount of time in XP making it light that you spend time in removing the server components of 2k3, ending with a pretty similiar result.

Of course it has a higher build number and 'NT 5.2'. But that is really nothing. Code changes are pretty shared with the service packs anyway.

You basically end with server components instead of everyday features. Worse compatibility (Last time I checked, photoshop was impossible to install/run due to checks). DirectX9 was a pain to get working too (it didn't install properly, ever)

But hey, times change. Might be that stuff has changed for the better :)
Just give it a try in a VM and see for yourself!
In the end its a very working and good OS. But nothing major compared to XP on the same use.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Why would you want to? Windows Server is faster because it has less services running. If you just tweak XP/Vista, it can go as fast as its server counterpart.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:38 pm 
Donator

Day2Die wrote:
Windows Server is faster because it has less services running.

Exactly, and your average person will re-enable that stuff. By the time you disable/remove all the server specific stuff, and enable whatever you need, you wind up with Windows Xp Pro, minus the cosy things like Spider Solitaire, and an hour or two of your life.

But the topic of this thread was wether or not he should try this specific hack, not wether running server as a workstation is a good idea.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:49 pm 
Donator

Server 2k3 is actually faster and more robust than XP in terms of the Kernel and Drivers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
They all blow
Windows OCManage wrote:
Server 2k3 is actually faster and more robust than XP in terms of the Kernel and Drivers.

No really, only stuff that I have found out are rumours and most are just releated to the "updated kernel" which is just assumptions based on the higher numeber that 2k3 carries.
While 2k3 might be better than non-SP xp, But I am very sure that XP has catched up and a SP3 patched XP is around the same level. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
LH Build 4074
That Windows X pack is simply a pack that makes 2k3 look like XP, it does no performance boosts. My advice: simply use 2k3 and avoid these 'transformation' packs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Worth It? Win2k3-->WinXP Hack        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:54 am 
Donator

I tried it and it actually does change the ProductType mask.

Top  Profile