BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 12h, 48m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5627MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:53 pm 
FTP Access

I recently finished repairing my NeXTStation. I got it started up and after I bypassed the boot from server feature, i got to a login window, because the computer once belonged to the University of Nebraska from their math and Statistics Department. I can't figure out a username and password so is there any way to pass it and get in.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
Since NeXTSTEP is pretty much 4.3BSD UNIX I'm guessing it uses UFS as its File System (I could be wrong), which most Unices can mount and read. You need to take the SCSI drive out of the NeXTstation, find an HP, IBM, MIPSCO, NeXT, SGI, Sun, etc. Unix box from the same era (early 90s), hook the drive up to the machine, mount it, edit /etc/passwd with a text editor, and remove the password entry for root. It will look something like below:

Before
Code:
root:Bd5UKx0qxZ:0:0:Super-User:/bin/sh

After
Code:
root::0:0:Super-User:/bin/sh
Then take the drive put it back in your NeXTstation and login as root leaving the password field empty.

Or

Buy an IDE to 50-pin SCSI adapter, hook the drive to your Linux box and see if you can mount it. You should be able to, but I've never tried.

If you were here (where I am) I would do it for you in 10 minutes, but your not, so those are the options that I can think of.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:19 am 
FTP Access

I currently don't have a linux system.
I do, however have an SGI indy. The system however has some sort of problem where it doesn't boot to the system, and it has numerous other problems, so i don't bother with it.
I also tried to put it into my mac, which has a scsi card, but the computer wouldn't recognize it, I thought there might be a way to get it to recognize it but i can't think of a way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
What's the IRIX error etc. on the Indy, out of curiousity?

If the Mac is running OS X and the SCSI card has the correct pins and ribbon, something like this should mount it,
Code:
mount -v -t ufs /dev/disk*s* /Volumes/next

but if it doesn't mount I wouldn't push it. The last thing you need is a dead 20-year-old SCSI Hard Disk with an obscure Unix OS on it and a paperweight NeXTstation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:36 pm 
FTP Access

I haven't fired the indy up recently but iirc it just skips looking for the os and it has to shutdown but its been so long since ive tried it.
Yeah id rather not fry the drive, although i can replace the os it would be a hassle and who knows what id lose.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:29 pm 
IIRC NextSTEP uses a very odd rendition of UFS that not many xNIX can read. \

I found this link, don't know if its incomplete:

http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/Repair/lostroot.html

If you know some basic Unix commands you could try to play around in single user mode to see if you can create a new user and/or replace the old password

PostPost subject: Re: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
SuSE Linux 7.0
The only thing I can suggest would be to try to log in using the root account, without typing in any password. If that doesn't work, you're pretty much stuck and you'll have to re-install the operating system if you want to use it

Mr. Intel

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Hera1O9
Rixel,

fagutish's suggestion to boot into single user mode is a good one. Once you've done that, you'll need to edit the login information as has been suggested. There may be a complication in that NS and OS use netinfo databases for authentication.

Here's an additional suggestion -- add the 'v' flag in the same way that you added the single user flag. This will replace the graphical display during boot with a text-based one. It's much easier to see what's going on in that case.

Note, too, that not having an ethernet connection, or the system not finding a NetInfo server may cause the boot process to stall. You can nonetheless usefully continue (with a ctrl-c, IIRC), at least if you're at the text-based prompt.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AIX 4.1.5
Similar (not coincidental) to MacOS X, NextSTEP doesn't have a normal password file like other unix-like but uses a database.

see
http://www.bangmoney.org/nextstep/root_password.html

for how to reset it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NeXTSTEP Login        Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
Rixel wrote:
I recently finished repairing my NeXTStation. I got it started up and after I bypassed the boot from server feature, i got to a login window, because the computer once belonged to the University of Nebraska from their math and Statistics Department. I can't figure out a username and password so is there any way to pass it and get in.

command ~

then you should get the rom prompt...

bsd -s

which is boot scsi disk then single user mode...

from then you should be able to run the passwd command.

Top  Profile