BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 8h, 19m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 4470MB of 10779MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 7 to officially support logon UI background customiz        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
As you probably know, Windows 7 build 7057, a build recently leaked to the public, sports a new (yet ugly) login UI background. Delivering on the “more customizable” promise, Windows 7 now supports the ability to load images into the background of the login screen without the use of third-party software or manual hacks.

Before Logon UI Customization After Logon UI Customization
Figure 1 – Logon UI background image before and after customization.

Although this functionality was designed for OEMs in mind, it is pretty easy to turn on and off using regedit and some images lying around your hard drive.

First, a check is made to determine if the customization functionality is enabled or not. More precisely, a DWORD value named OEMBackground in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background key is checked. Its data, of Boolean type, defines whether or not this behavior is turned on, i.e. 1 for enabled, 0 for disabled. This value may not exist by default, depending on your system.

Afterwards, if customization is enabled, the primary monitor’s screen height and width are retrieved via calls to GetSystemMetrics. These values are used in the computation of the screen width (w)/height (h) ratio. For example, my desktop resolution is 1920×1200. The ratio, computed by the division of w/h, is 1.6:1.

The result of this computation is looked up in an internal table that drives what image to load on disk. Although I don’t have a large enough monitor to test, it appears resolutions higher than 1920×1200 will force the loading and zooming of an image of closest compatibility (i.e. same ratio, smaller image).

As this is an OEM feature images are derived from %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds. Like the registry value, this folder may not exist by default. The following files (sorted by width-to-height ratio) are supported in this folder:

* backgroundDefault.jpg
* background768×1280.jpg (0.6)
* background900×1440.jpg (0.625)
* background960×1280.jpg (0.75)
* background1024×1280.jpg (0.8)
* background1280×1024.jpg (1.25)
* background1024×768.jpg (1.33-)
* background1280×960.jpg (1.33-)
* background1600×1200.jpg (1.33-)
* background1440×900.jpg (1.6)
* background1920×1200.jpg (1.6)
* background1280×768.jpg (1.66-)
* background1360×768.jpg (1.770833-)

NOTE: Images must be less than 256kb in size. Thanks for pushing me to investigate, Jay C.

The backgroundDefault.jpg image is loaded and stretched-to-fit when a resolution/ratio-specific background cannot be found. The other resolution/ratio-specific files are self-explanatory. If the background cannot be loaded (e.g. image physically too large, incorrect ratio, etc.), the default SKU-based image is loaded from imagesres.dll. You’ll see a Windows Server-themed grayish background in there, too, suggesting this functionality is not specific to client SKUs.

More info: http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/03/15/windows-7-to-officially-support-logon-ui-background-customization/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 to officially support logon UI background customiz        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:17 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Finally. :)

It works also with build 7048.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 to officially support logon UI background customiz        Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:04 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Works with build 7000 too

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 to officially support logon UI background customiz        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
So, will people be putting Ubuntu login backgrounds onto their Windows 7 boxes?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 to officially support logon UI background customiz        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:12 pm 
Donator

I definatley wont, but I imagine that if there are people determined to stick the windows logo into ubuntu everywhere possible, then there are people who want to do vice versa.

Personally I'd like for the logonscreen background to be the same as my desktop wallpaper, it'd be nice if they put a feature to do that automatically...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 to officially support logon UI background customiz        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:09 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I usually have the login screen as a modified version of the background, so that it isn't the same between the two. (Usually I use Photoshop and either invert it if I think it looks better\same inverted, or I do an arse-load of filters and whatnot onto the picture)
The ubuntu idea is nice, but it wouldn't work well with the 9.04 logon screen.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 to officially support logon UI background customiz        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:07 am 
marktuson wrote:
So, will people be putting Ubuntu login backgrounds onto their Windows 7 boxes?

That is a scarey thought, you ruined this thread :cry: