BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 49d, 10h, 6m | CPU: 86% | MEM: 6607MB of 11392MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I know of programs such as Calmira, and also of some of the programs that allow changing of the boot screen and window buttons (system, minimize, and maximize), but where could I get a program (or set of programs) to comletely mimic the look of Windows 95? I know there is a program to add the close button to the right end of the bar at the top, but I can't remember where it is, and it wasn't free.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
marktuson wrote:
I know of programs such as Calmira, and also of some of the programs that allow changing of the boot screen and window buttons (system, minimize, and maximize), but where could I get a program (or set of programs) to comletely mimic the look of Windows 95? I know there is a program to add the close button to the right end of the bar at the top, but I can't remember where it is, and it wasn't free.

Add one of these as addons during the DOS setup, you can make DOS load the shell files from Win 3.11 or from Win 98 SE.

http://ms-dos7.hit.bg/dosware/addon/mw311gui.zip

http://ms-dos7.hit.bg/dosware/addon/mw98gui.zip

No clue what you were talking about, but these well work for you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
nookupeous wrote:
marktuson wrote:

Add one of these as addons during the DOS setup, you can make DOS load the shell files from Win 3.11 or from Win 98 SE.

Yeah, I don't want to run Windows 98 on a DOS machine. I want to change the window metrics and fonts of Windows 3.1, add the close button to the top right of the title bar... I want to make Windows 3.1 look exactly like Windows 95.

Why did you reply if you don't know what I'm talking about?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:49 am 
FTP Access

marktuson wrote:
nookupeous wrote:
marktuson wrote:

Yeah, I don't want to run Windows 98 on a DOS machine. I want to change the window metrics and fonts of Windows 3.1, add the close button to the top right of the title bar... I want to make Windows 3.1 look exactly like Windows 95.

That simply isn't possible.
You could make Win3.1 resemble Win95 a bit, but you can't definitely make it look exactly the same.

Here is a program called mask 98 which will make the title bar look more like the one from Win9x:
http://www.softlookup.com/download.asp?id=26042

To change the system fonts you could use sysfon:
http://stephan.win31.de/sysfon.zip

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- marktuson: I think it has something to do with editing the VGA.DRV file, which has the title bar stuff, if I re-call correctly. ;)

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Battler wrote:
- marktuson: I think it has something to do with editing the VGA.DRV file, which has the title bar stuff, if I re-call correctly. ;)
Yes, I've done this. Manually, as well. I also did it to Windows 3.00... and Windows 2.03.

Just don't ask where they went, because I can't remember. Though I daresay I could do it again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:36 am 
I think there was a program called Calmira II
Quote:
Calmira is a complete 16-bit shell that lets you manage files, launch applications and control tasks. It brings Windows 3.1 up to date with some of the advanced user interface enhancements from the Windows world, and for most people, provides welcome relief from the awkwardness of File Manager.

Btw they even say that they have made vista/longhorn theme for windows 3.1 :d
if you wan't you can click here to check things out :)

PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
The windows furniture (system menu, close, minimise) buttons reside in the video.drv file, as do the mouse cursors. You can use makeover to do this. You have to do this for each set of drivers ye plan to use.

Makeover can not handle drivers that load in enhanced, eg those for nvidia tnt drivers.

The icons for the standard dialog boxes come from, the driver. In my standard windows installs i had a driver called camel.drv, which is a modified windows driver, with the long bar replaced by a door, the short bar by a paper clip, and the various icons (like info, warning, etc), replaced with rather cute things (although keeping the same colours). One of them was an eight-eyed smilie, and another was a camel, copied off the 20$ note.

The main box is undergoing a heavy rebuild (replacement of many parts), since the mo board failed, and no one makes antiques like it, so it's a new mo board, new cockroach, new cd-rom driver and new fixed disk, and most likely new core sticks. I suppose the case is to be replaced too, so it's a fairly extensive rebuild.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
I've been considering the compatibility of Windows 3.x with Windows Chicago (95 beta) files, seeing as they are closer together. It might be possible to run some of the binaries with little or no modification on a 3.x box. When I explore it I'll make a post here and on my Infotaxis Findings blog.

Infotaxis Findings: http://infotaxisfindings.blogspot.com/

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:08 pm 
FTP Access

marktuson wrote:

google mask98

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Making Windows 3.1x look and run like Windows 95        Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
I'd much rather make 95 or 98 look and behave like 3.11 myself.. besides WB anybody know a system-file-replacey way to do that without breaking Windows entirely?

Top  Profile  WWW