BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 1h, 16m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 6053MB of 11374MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:44 pm 
ive been searching for long time now, and now im going to open a thread:

is it possible to emulate ms os2 (the early ones, 1.1 and 1.2) on modern pcs?

and no, i dont mean ibm os2 :P

thanks.

PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:26 pm 
Donator

MS OS/2 and IBM OS/2 were exactly the same at that point in time... one just had MS branding and one had IBM branding.

However, what exactly are you looking to emulate? The OS/2 API? The shell?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:31 pm 
RentedMule wrote:
MS OS/2 and IBM OS/2 were exactly the same at that point in time... one just had MS branding and one had IBM branding.

However, what exactly are you looking to emulate? The OS/2 API? The shell?

ahh sorry, my fault then.

whatever, the shell would be the best, isnt it possible to install the disks like dos or windows 3.1? to have the "real" os running in a virtual machine?

thanks for you answer :)

PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:06 pm 
Donator

Installing OS/2 in a virtual machine would be the same as installing Windows 3.1 for instance. Install DOS on your virtual machine, mount the install floppy image, and run setup.exe from it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:18 pm 
RentedMule wrote:
Installing OS/2 in a virtual machine would be the same as installing Windows 3.1 for instance. Install DOS on your virtual machine, mount the install floppy image, and run setup.exe from it.

well, actually thats weird, that never worked for me.

whatever, ill try it again now, thanks in advance :)

edit: i think im just too stupid, sorry, what file on what disk exactly? on no disks theres a setup.exe, the installx exe's all say "not for dos" or "youre using the wrong version of os/2", i tried on dos 6, 5, 4 and 3.3.

weird...

PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
maybe you can try pc-dos, DOS 2.11, and other versions of dos? It doesn't always have to be MS-DOS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hey,

You'll need connectix Virtual PC (who later got bought by M$)

Its shareware now i think: http://www.download.com/Connectix-Virtu ... 38862.html

Enjoy :)

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:53 am 
Thlump wrote:
maybe you can try pc-dos, DOS 2.11, and other versions of dos? It doesn't always have to be MS-DOS.

on pc dos 3, 5 and 6 i get the same, ill try 4 now but i dont think itll help,

well, thanks for your answer anyways.

leonbollerup wrote:
Hey,

You'll need connectix Virtual PC (who later got bought by MS)

Its shareware now i think: http://www.download.com/Connectix-Virtu ... 38862.html

Enjoy :)

that link is down, but daniel has it on his servers, so im gonna try that, thanks in advance :P

edit: no, its still the same, cant you tell me exactly what i need, RentedMule? would be nice :P

PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.1 / 6.1
There are issues installing OS/2 [any old versions] on just about any emulator avaliable today (qemu, vmware, virtual pc etc..) because of the way in which OS/2 uses some obscure features of the x86 cpu. As far as i know, you have to install it using a physical computer, but then if you image the harddrive it's possible to boot from that (in bochs, or a patched qemu, at least)...

..but i hope i'm wrong, and just not trying hard enough..

EDIT: You can at least install some versions, I've had eComstation running in VPC. But none of the old versions, 1, 2 and so on.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
OS/2 1.x does not need an underlying DOS to run.

MS-OS/2 and IBM OS/2 1.x are essentially the same thing, although these were compiled at different sites for different markets (MS for retail, IBM for OEM), and, like MS-DOS vs PC-DOS, are similar but not the same (it's a more than the badging, though)

What ye need to do is to install it on some old iron, and then take a snapshot of the hard disk. This is how the MS-OS2 1.3 thing was done.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:16 am 
FTP Access

Look at this site

http://pages.prodigy.net/michaln/history/vm.html

With best regards

reini1976

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:55 pm 
FTP Access

I've never had any trouble running OS/2 2.x through eComstation on Virtual PC, though some of them need updated boot disks to work. As for the 1.x line I have never been able to get them working on anything. I've always wanted to try out the 1.0 version since it is command line based, but it always gives an error and crashes on boot. I've been meaning to build a barebones 286 PC someday, just enough to get it installed and make an image of the installation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:26 am 
Administrator

I sure would like a try on this. I happen to have both an original IBM XT (8086) and AT (286) with all parts intact and working, I could try to get all the old OS/2 versions installed and then make an image of each drive. For those of you that would be interested I could then temporarily upload the image files for you to play with. Perhaps then someone could make them all run well in VPC or VMWare.

Once I finish up my packing (doing renovations in the apartment) I'll see if I can get started. Of course if anyone beats me to it let us know :P.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
mrpijey wrote:
I sure would like a try on this. I happen to have both an original IBM XT (8086) and AT (286) with all parts intact and working, I could try to get all the old OS/2 versions installed and then make an image of each drive. For those of you that would be interested I could then temporarily upload the image files for you to play with. Perhaps then someone could make them all run well in VPC or VMWare.

Once I finish up my packing (doing renovations in the apartment) I'll see if I can get started. Of course if anyone beats me to it let us know :P.

:o

You lucky sod! Dad says we have an AT in the loft, but I've never seen it (and he says it doesn't work - someone gave it to him as on the condition that he repair it). There's an old CBM PET-4000 there as well, but it doesn't work either - I'll be fixing that one (H).

EDIT: Hey, I just realized - can it run on PCem? I've just had a quick go at it, but I'm not exactly sure if it wants to work or not...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
marktuson wrote:
mrpijey wrote:

You lucky sod! Dad says we have an AT in the loft, but I've never seen it (and he says it doesn't work - someone gave it to him as on the condition that he repair it). There's an old CBM PET-4000 there as well, but it doesn't work either - I'll be fixing that one (H).

EDIT: Hey, I just realized - can it run on PCem? I've just had a quick go at it, but I'm not exactly sure if it wants to work or not...

If you're asking if OS/2 1.x run in PCem, I tested in this thread.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn Concept
I've installed it on a modern PC before, no virtual. There's a setting in the BIOS... Running Longhorn on it as we speak. It won't be in a VMware BIOS but it's definitely possible.

Alexander

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I've managed to run IBM's OS/2 on Microsoft's Virtual PC long before. Unfortunately, the OS lacked drivers for the virtualized ethernet port, so there was no internet for me.

It was fun to toy with for a few weeks...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn Concept
It's not hard to buy a cheap IBM box anywhere... Car boot sales and scrapyards constantloy have them due to offices chucking them out.

Alexander

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulate MS OS2 on a modern PC        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
roytam1 wrote:
marktuson wrote:
mrpijey wrote:

If you're asking if OS/2 1.x run in PCem, I tested in this thread.

Okay, thanks :).

Is the Tom that was emailed (saw it in the thread) the guy that writes and maintains PCem, then? I'd like to see if he could get it working at full screen - use the GPU emulator to write directly to the screen and not to a window, or something.

EDIT:
Alexandergrim wrote:
It's not hard to buy a cheap IBM box anywhere... Car boot sales and scrapyards constantloy have them due to offices chucking them out.

Alexander

If you've read what I said, I also said that I haven't any room. Which means that even if I had one, I wouldn't be able to use it because I'd have to keep it in the garage. And where I live, you're lucky if you see any kind of computer on the car boot sale, because it's generally just old clothes and rubbish people seem to sell here. I did hear about a place, though - maybe I should look there.

Top  Profile