BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 2h, 51m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 2052MB of 3657MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How do I install Beryl on Ubuntu 8.10?        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 pm 
Donator

I have just installed Intrepid Ibex on my laptop. It is in the exact state as after installation (bar a couple of programs [e.g. Banshee]) and I was wondering how I install Beryl. Do I need to install Compiz first? If so, how do I do that? I'm sorry, it's just I don't know much about Linux having used Windows virtually all my life.

Edit: I think I already have Compiz. I think I'm using GNOME at the moment, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:17 pm 
FTP Access

I believe there are Beryl packages in Synaptic

Try looking for it in System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:22 pm 
Donator

why would you use beryl instead of compiz?

Top  Profile
Donator

Done a search for Beryl in the Synaptic Package Manager...nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Top  Profile
Donator

EDIT: open a terminal and type 'sudo apt-get install simple-ccsm' without quotes and press enter.

I'm definitely not anywhere near being an expert on anything Linux. Here is what I know.

GNOME and Compiz both come with Ubuntu. Other window managers don't come with Ubuntu, if you want to use KDE there is a distro called Kubuntu. By default Metacity is running, if you want to enable Compiz go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance, then select the Visual Effects tab and select Extra. There is a manager you can install that will let you configure all of the Compiz effects called CompizConfig Settings Manager but I haven't been able to get it to install from the repositories on 8.10. You might have better luck.

On my 8.04 machine you can open the settings from System -> Preferences -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings or open a terminal and run 'ccsm'.

An absolute necessity if you're running Ubuntu is to setup the Medibuntu repositories, follow the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medib ... positories

Make sure you also run the part about the GPG key at the bottom. Then you can run System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for 'ccsm', 'compizconfig', etc.

You can also try to run 'ccsm' from a terminal and it may tell you the name of the package you need to install. If it does you can 'sudo apt-get install [package name here]' and it should install it for you.

CCSM will let you do all the fancy stuff, such as the desktop cube, transparent windows, etc.

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:35 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
I'm definitely not anywhere near being an expert on anything Linux. Here is what I know.

GNOME and Compiz both come with Ubuntu. Other window managers don't come with Ubuntu, if you want to use KDE there is a distro called Kubuntu. By default Metacity is running, if you want to enable Compiz go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance, then select the Visual Effects tab and select Extra. There is a manager you can install that will let you configure all of the Compiz effects called CompizConfig Settings Manager but I haven't been able to get it to install from the repositories on 8.10. You might have better luck.

On my 8.04 machine you can open the settings from System -> Preferences -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings or open a terminal and run 'ccsm'.

An absolute necessity if you're running Ubuntu is to setup the Medibuntu repositories, follow the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medib ... positories

Make sure you also run the part about the GPG key at the bottom. Then you can run System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for 'ccsm', 'compizconfig', etc.

You can also try to run 'ccsm' from a terminal and it may tell you the name of the package you need to install. If it does you can 'sudo apt-get install [package name here]' and it should install it for you.

CCSM will let you do all the fancy stuff, such as the desktop cube, transparent windows, etc.

or you could just install kde4... and since compiz does everything beryl does go to the add remove programs show all and find compiz advanced settings its a lot easier that way. (make sure you have advanced desktop effects enabled before you try to use compiz settings)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:40 pm 
Donator

It's easier to install KDE than it is to install a program that is just gives him easy access to the settings? Probably not. Compiz doesn't do everything that Beryl does AFAIK. Beryl is actually a fork of Compiz with more features.

All he needs to do is install ccsm or simple-ccsm.

'sudo apt-get install simple-ccsm' then he has all the settings right there. Then he can just go to System -> Preferences -> Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager.

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:43 pm 
Donator

i thought you where referring to using kde for a second not access to settings my mistake.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:23 am 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
Beryl is actually a fork of Compiz with more features.

It used to be. Then both merged into Compiz Fusion, which is what you get with Ubuntu.

Top  Profile