BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 12h, 54m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5959MB of 11177MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: windows 3.11 on more than 1 gb of ram        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
after rooting through an old external HDD, i came across my old "windows 3.11/98 on a cd" project

its almost complete, it just needs a few tweaks. i cant get windows to boot on machines with more than 1 gb of RAM, is there:

a) (not likely) i know there's a value you edit to get windows to boot with large amounts of ram, what is it and will it allow up to 2 gbs?

b) (even less likely) is there a RAM limiter of some sort? something that will simulate the effect of having only a small amount of RAM installed?

I'm already using the mini windows from a windows 98 setup disk, that didn't help much. any ideas?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Windows 3.1x might allow 2GB of ram, though this picture could be a fake

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:37 am 
FTP Access

its not a fake, I took that screenshot :)

but...its an installation made from the windows98 mini.cab and some files from 311fwg. It runs in standard mode and not i386 enhanced.

Ill see if I still have the disk image

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:16 pm 
FTP Access

Well my Windows 3.11 in enhanced mode recognises 64 MB of my 2GB. In standard mode dunno but I think should be 640 KB?! Don't know.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:29 pm 
Donator

640kB is the amount of memory in Windows 3.00 Real Mode, win /r (deprecated in Windows 3.1 and onwards)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
bob wrote:
its not a fake, I took that screenshot :)

but...its an installation made from the windows98 mini.cab and some files from 311fwg. It runs in standard mode and not i386 enhanced.

Ill see if I still have the disk image

oh ok, i've been using i386 enhanced, it should work after 1 more test

edit: "executable not found" hmm, i have a bit more tweaking to do
edit2: nvm, missing wswap.exe the whole time, works like a charm now!

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
sorry for the double post, i got tired of writing edit, over and over...

it seems that my original glitch, some DOS programs glitch or refuse to work under windows (enhanced mode) is still around, and now, under standard mode, DOS programs fail with a "call to undefined dynalink" error... i dunno, any ideas?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 on more than 1 gb of ram        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Replace the kernel and DOS version with those of Windows 95 or later :).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 on more than 1 gb of ram        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
I'm interested in getting WFW running with more than 256MB of ram... The only way I know so far is to run this:

"setxmsto.exe"

That I found googling around...

Anyways, the reason I'm interested is that I've been porting back some SIMH stuff to win32s and well the more memory into WFW311 the better!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 on more than 1 gb of ram        Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
marktuson wrote:
Replace the kernel and DOS version with those of Windows 95 or later :).

I'm already using MS-DOS 7.10, and if you mean using the mini.cab, that seemed to cause most of the errors I mentioned before, using a stock install of windows 3.11 seemed to fix most of that, but bring more into the light...

in all honesty, i can release it now, as I've yet to run into any problems running it on real machines, but a few annoying little quirks are stopping me:

1)Sound isn't working, at all, on any machine or VM, but thats my own doing
2)NTFSDOS Pro refuses to let windows boot when its loaded.
3)DOS applications refuse to run under Windows on machines with more than 1 GB of RAM and C: drives not formatted in FAT16 or 32
4)There's nothing on there of any use! I can't think of anything to put on there...

on an odd sidenote, you can install Windows 98 without a serial if you make a bootable floppy disk with the mini.cab version of windows 3.1

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: windows 3.11 on more than 1 gb of ram        Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:39 am 

Favourite OS
WFW
So, did you get the glitches ironed out? I was sort of working on the same thing. I solved the above problem (> 1 Gb RAM) with something called SETXMSTO. Basically, it fixes RAM > 1Gb to look like 1 Gb, so you end up loosing the rest. But it leaves you with enough for a 3/4 Gb ramdisk (XMSDSK by Frank Umberto) to unzip off the CD. It also fixes the 64 Mb limit for DOS98 & HIMEM.SYS so they can see 1 Gb. I cannot make WFW use more than 256 Mb of XMS anyway.

But it runs like a bat out of hell, due to being installed on the ram drive. (And having 252 Mb XMS + 4 Mb on the swap disk which is also on the RAM drive. Win32S *insists* on having a swap file.)

I ran into a different problem (32-bit networking with processors > 2.1 GHz), but I just fixed that yesterday.

Top  Profile