BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 22h, 29m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5833MB of 10925MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Seven Taskbar        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:24 am 
http://fc67.deviantart.com/fs33/i/2008/ ... isgx89.jpg

Windows Seven Taskbar. ;)

Download
http://giannisgx89.deviantart.com/art/W ... -102076721

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:34 am 
FTP Access

i like the idea. Unfortunately this is one of the features that can't be build 100% as an addon for vista or xp. yours only looks 20% as the original does.

all people who think that this is 100% the taskbar of windows 7 didn't understand the sense of the new superbar. The new bar is imho only a copy of the Apple dock which is a bar on the bottom of the screen. Ok, it has many more feature like the very nice right click menu but the basics are the same as in Mac OSX. Unfortunately lots of people didn't understand this yet and think that the taskbar is crap ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:59 am 
Donator

sibbl wrote:
i like the idea. Unfortunately this is one of the features that can't be build 100% as an addon for vista or xp. yours only looks 20% as the original does.

all people who think that this is 100% the taskbar of windows 7 didn't understand the sense of the new superbar. The new bar is imho only a copy of the Apple dock which is a bar on the bottom of the screen. Ok, it has many more feature like the very nice right click menu but the basics are the same as in Mac OSX. Unfortunately lots of people didn't understand this yet and think that the taskbar is crap ...

Not to be rude or anything, but have you actually used the Mac OS X dock for longer than 30 seconds? The only thing the two have in common is that they're at the bottom of the screen basically. My dock here, Leopard, lacks a lot of features that I'd like to have. Like windows previews, windows sorting, an easy way to see what apps are open (the little dot underneath doesn't count as it's way too small to see without looking) and so on. The 7 taskbar is pretty revolutionary, especially considering that the Windows taskbar has looked and worked pretty much the same since Windows 95.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:05 am 
FTP Access

ddew wrote:
Not to be rude or anything, but have you actually used the Mac OS X dock for longer than 30 seconds? The only thing the two have in common is that they're at the bottom of the screen basically. My dock here, Leopard, lacks a lot of features that I'd like to have. Like windows previews, windows sorting, an easy way to see what apps are open (the little dot underneath doesn't count as it's way too small to see without looking) and so on. The 7 taskbar is pretty revolutionary, especially considering that the Windows taskbar has looked and worked pretty much the same since Windows 95.

yes i have used it for a long time. And in my opinion they have more things in common. The icons in the dock replace your quick launch and you also can pin your applications so that they keep their place in the dock. The same has vista too. With right clicking folders in the Vista superbar you get the list of files inside of the folder. So overall I think both is nearly the same - maybe Win7 has some more very nice features than the Mac Dock has! Shall i show you what i mean when i modify the stardock objectdock to have the same functionality? In my opinion it is be possible! (Without the same design, I just mean the features - and imo the context menu of each item is the only thing that would not be so easy)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:20 am 
Donator

sibbl wrote:
ddew wrote:

yes i have used it for a long time. And in my opinion they have more things in common. The icons in the dock replace your quick launch and you also can pin your applications so that they keep their place in the dock. The same has vista too. With right clicking folders in the Vista superbar you get the list of files inside of the folder. So overall I think both is nearly the same - maybe Win7 has some more very nice features than the Mac Dock has! Shall i show you what i mean when i modify the stardock objectdock to have the same functionality? In my opinion it is be possible! (Without the same design, I just mean the features - and imo the context menu of each item is the only thing that would not be so easy)

Ok, comparing the dock with the quick launch in Vista is a more even playing field. But since quick launch came before the dock (not counting the *step dock due to very different functionality) it's a silly point to argue. So what you're saying is that if you remove the unique features of the 7 taskbar you get similar functionality as the dock in OS X? The only thing that looks even slightly similar is the context menus but given that it's been a function of the notification area for years one could argue that the dock finally caught up to Windows in that regard. :)

Point of my rant is that unless you seriously cripple the concept from 7 you'll have a hard time comparing it to the dock or cloning it. Calling it a copy of the dock is either an insult to the UX team at Microsoft or a display of stupidity.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:09 pm 
I'm Skeptical about this one. Wait and see...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:38 pm 
FTP Access

I take it this is not the taskbar from 6801?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:38 pm 
OG wrote:
I take it this is not the taskbar from 6801?

No. This only looks like the taskbar from 6801

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:45 am 
Nice idea , but still we can make it looks more similar to Win 7.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:29 pm 
i kinda like the new taskbar.. and no, i don't think it's just the same as Mac OS Dock.. it has more features compare to Mac OS Dock..

just one question.. can the size of the taskbar be customized..?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:03 pm 
fadliaris wrote:
can the size of the taskbar be customized..?

Yes of course

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:17 pm 
FTP Access

This idea that they "ripped off" the OS X dock really is pretty funny. Why? Well as anyone who had read the Windows 7 development blog would know, they posted up a shot from Windows 1.01 which sheds a lot of light on the actual origin of Superbar...
Now seeing that, who is "ripping off" who really? ;)
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/
(Just a fun bit of trivia you can throw up that often stops that argument fairly dead.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven Taskbar        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:50 pm 
I Saw a 7 taskbar for Windows 98

PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven Taskbar        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:02 pm 
Donator

bartekkrzemien wrote:

could you provide a link? (more of to see who the crazy person who decided to make the dang thing was, that and i doubt anyone would waste there time but id like to be wrong.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven Taskbar        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
zamadatix wrote:
bartekkrzemien wrote:

could you provide a link? (more of to see who the crazy person who decided to make the dang thing was, that and i doubt anyone would waste there time but id like to be wrong.)

Author of this superbar copy for XP claimed somewhere he used Visual Basic 6 for doing it. So it should work in 98...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven Taskbar        Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
This guy created a superbar for XP and I think it works for Vista as well. It works quite well actually: http://lee-soft.com/viglance/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven Taskbar        Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
zamadatix wrote:
bartekkrzemien wrote:

I love Windows 98, if I didn't know that I wasn't the one to do it, I probably would think I had. I'd like a copy of that...

Top  Profile  WWW