BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 6h, 13m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 2703MB of 4437MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Was considering...        Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:00 am 
...buying a PS3 to replace my aging computer. Yes. Computer. Since it has a native version of Linux and you can hook up a keyboard and mouse to it, I think it would make for a good computer with powerful specs while still being cheap in comparison to standard PCs.

Am I completely bat **** insane for thinking this? Or could it work out?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:21 am 
FTP Access

No you're not insane this might be fun!

I don't know too much about a PS3 but can you attach a keyboard and stuff to it? If you can it should be a good PC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:42 am 
Donator

I guess that would be possible, however you have to remember that it is built on powerpc, and the linux cd might eventually wear out your drive (unless you use the built in hdd... Is that possible?). anyways, if it is possible to install linux on the harddrive, it might be impossible to return it to its former state.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:50 am 
FTP Access

Jeff wrote:
I guess that would be possible, however you have to remember that it is built on powerpc, and the linux cd might eventually wear out your drive (unless you use the built in hdd... Is that possible?). anyways, if it is possible to install linux on the harddrive, it might be impossible to return it to its former state.

I think Sony even support installing Linux on the hard drive (which is strange because normaly console manufacturers don't want any other software used on them), and it doesn't overwrite the PlayStation software or anything like that. I saw a video of it and it looked a little on the slow side though, despite the Cell CPU, and I saw a story that someone had benchmarked it to find it is only as fast under Linux as an 800 MHz PIII PC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:45 pm 
Donator

depends what you want to use a computer for. if you want to play PC games, then skip the ps3, unless you only want to play PS1/2/3 games.

If you only want to do word processing and stuff, then sure get a PS3 and the official Linux when it comes out (if it isn't already)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:16 pm 
Well, there aren't really any games compiled for the Cell. Of course, I could always compile my own, but hey.

The benefit of doing that I guess would be that I could go into Linux whenever I want to surf the internet, do word processing, whatever, and just load up a PS3 game when I want to play games.

The Cell processor isn't all that great for everyday computing, I know that much, but you don't really need a lot of speed for everyday computing.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:44 pm 
Donator

As others have already said :), it's possible to install Linux on the PS3's internal HD , Sony provides the necessary boot loader, and you can install Fedora Core 5, the necessary kernel patches are available for download as well. For word processing and that stuff, the PS3 should have plenty of power. However, as already mentioned, the Cell processor is virtualised when running Linux (as is most of the other hardware iin the PS3), so it won't be a speed daemon. You've only got 256MB of RAM, so bigger applications like OpenOffice) won't be that fast either (a swapfile on the HD doesn't cut it). And last but not least, gaming on Linux will be kinda hard because you can't access the graphics hardware directly, all you get access too is the framebuffer. So, the only way to play "modern" demanding games on the PS3 is using their native PS3 version, if available.

In short, the PS3 can be used as a computer, but don't expect too much from it, i.e. it won't certainly be the fastest machine you've ever used.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:21 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I think for the price (450 USD), it is not worth buying.

In reality its just a really bad computer with a good GPU. As you can not acess the GPU, all you are left with this a 2001 era computer, that as you may already know is worth more like 150 USD (if not found in the trash).

Linux is offered to normal consumers almost as a game (a hacker-ing game), to use it as a home system is not practicle especially when you consider the amount of money you are paying and getting out.

The 450 USD can go somewhere better - like to me :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:36 pm 
Donator

Quote:
Linux is offered to normal consumers almost as a game (a hacker-ing game), to use it as a home system is not practicle especially when you consider the amount of money you are paying and getting out.

Do you mean it regarding the PS3 or in general? If in general, I don't agree. Linux is not a for-hackers-only OS anymore.

Top  Profile