BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 13h, 4m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 4198MB of 10299MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Custom Windows 2K/XP/Vista Where to Start & What I need        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
Hey I'm a noob to the world of custom operating systems, where do I start and what do I need

I would like to

Remove Internet Explorer, Messenger, Media Player
Bundle Firefox with it
Edit the about Windows box
Make It fast
Give it a custom startup screen

I have my ISOs but what programs do I need and how much of the stuff I listed would I be able to do.

Thanks, Mewrox99 :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:24 am 

nlite

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 am 
Permanently Banned

or download the millions of other OSes that are built like that and nobody ever uses.

before anyone else asks yeah there not all like that but the majority of them are. troy did a good job on AB and it's good when you take in account resources it uses and hd space etc but really if you just want to remove IE and Media player and crap like that just build an unattended iso which will remove what features you dont want and will install what you do want automatically after install.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:54 am 
Donator

Superbird wrote:
nlite

Using Vlite or Nlite does not count as modifying an OS, anyone can do that.
To customise an OS, you'll need to familiarise yourself with WIM imaging.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:54 pm 
FTP Access

Zimmy wrote:
or download the millions of other OSes that are built like that and nobody ever uses.

before anyone else asks yeah there not all like that but the majority of them are. troy did a good job on AB and it's good when you take in account resources it uses and hd space etc but really if you just want to remove IE and Media player and crap like that just build an unattended iso which will remove what features you dont want and will install what you do want automatically after install.
I should also mention that I wasn't the only one a part of the project and it was helped by a small staff of others. I pretty much made all the rules and graphics, while the others helped make the OS become possible.

Modification is something that takes time and effort to achieve something great. I mean, take a look at Windows 95 and compare that to Windows 3.1! A HUGE amount of changes were made, and it certainly took time to get it going. It's not just graphics and removing programs, but creating some sort of promise, message, or lifestyle. How do you think advertisers get paid so much? :P

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:27 pm 
FTP Access

Remove Internet Explorer, Messenger, Media Player - nLite
Bundle Firefox with it - nLite
Edit the about Windows box - ResHacker
Make It fast - nLite/searching for cleaners online
Give it a custom startup screen - ResHacker, Paint Shop Pro, and some searching

That's what you need. But if you don't add anything else and you still want to publish it, no-one will use it. Add something worthwhile to it while you're at it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Consider also a thing hight 'HIVEFIX.INF'.

See, eg http://www.msfn.org/board/HIVEFIXINF-t84600.html

This does all sorts of neat things, like renames the default user and all-users (to match vista), along with local time zones, add things to control panel, &c.

nlite does not do this.

HIVEFIX is applied at the end of text-mode setup (T-39), and exists before any users are created. The version creates user profiles in the manner of vista, ie

/users/public/ All-users
/users/default/ Default-user

In 2K, you can set the drive-icon to shell32.dll,39, which gives a drive with a flag behind it. XP has a different icon here, but whatever it is, you have to do it by way of a rexx-script or something, because the OS disk is usually not c:

W

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:07 am 
yes , nlite&vlite is answer :)