BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 54d, 13h, 0m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 6182MB of 11015MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Ubuntu Disk Image Mounting Script        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:00 am 
FTP Access

I use this script I found to mount my floppy images (and it's supposed to work for ISO/MDF/NRG/BIN images as well). It's a single script that will mount it as writeable (took forever to find that) and let you know if it mounted.

To install: save as "Mount" in ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ (if using latest ubuntu). CHMOD to 777 and visit folder with nautilus. Make folder /media/Virtual (capital V is important). Now you can mount your images and make changes without dropping to the command line.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
for I in `echo $*`
do
filetype=$(file "$I")
  foo=`gksudo -u root -k -m "enter your password for root terminal
access" /bin/echo "got r00t?"`
sudo umount /media/Virtual
sudo mount -v -o rw,loop,uid=$UID $I /media/Virtual && gdialog --title "Mounting Success" --msgbox "File Info: $filetype \n\nFile was mounted successfully:)" 600 400 || gdialog --title "Mounting Failure" --msgbox "File Info: $filetype \n\nFile failed to mount. Please verify file integrity and compatibility." 600 400
  done
done
exit0

If Ubuntu had more scripts like this, I think it would be a lot more popular.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:13 am 
Donator

Yeah, I really just wish it had context menu mount options.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:38 am 
FTP Access

I really wish it had better support for files period. Out of the box it should know that my ISO's need to be opened with an archiving program (and give me the option to mount them - in fact, I wish I could mount all archives, or navigate them transparently like zip files in XP); it should know that EXE files are for WINE, .sh/.pl should open in text editor and give me the option of launching them in a shell (as current user and as root)... I think if they could just get some people on the Ubuntu design team who were dedicated to small user tweaks, it could come a long way in a little time.

Top  Profile