BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 9h, 44m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 5709MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Protoplex question        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:43 pm 
FTP Access

Will the Longhorn Build 3718 protoplex edition install on a computer with an Nforce 4 based chipset? My laptop has an Nforce 4 based chipset.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Protoplex question        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
squidward_ wrote:
Will the Longhorn Build 3718 protoplex edition install on a computer with an Nforce 4 based chipset? My laptop has an Nforce 4 based chipset.

Are you using the SATA? If so, you'll need to either use the floppy/integrate drivers into the i386 install or my repack *should* do it, but I don't have any nForce 4 hardware any more to test it on. Please try the repack and tell me if it works, so if it doesn't, I can look into fixing it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:11 pm 
FTP Access

I am using a laptop computer with a mobile based Nforce 4 chipset and I think the HDD doesn't use SATA, it uses SCSI, look at the picture below, although strangely, there in Device Manage there is an Nforce SATA controller. When I tried to install Longhorn Reloaded, the setup program crashed when it said ''Setup is starting Windows''. I obviously know your Longhorn Protoplex uses the WinPE based setup. Unfortunately, when I checked in the BIOS setup, there is no options to disable SATA and use legacy ATA.

The Windows XP setup program detected the HDD in my laptop just fine, (although I didn't actually install it, I was just testing it to see wether or not it would detect the HDD).

Is there any way to integrate the appropriate drivers into your WinPE based version of Longhorn Protoplex? I don't want to have to use the i386 based setup program and have to set the date back!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/storage/engli ... 037gsx.htm

^ That explains the HDD in your Laptop, and I do believe it has a Serial ATA Interface (SATA)

XP/Longhorn will probably in most cases install, it will just fall back onto the IDE Emulation Driver of the OS.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:28 pm 
FTP Access

Thanks for the information! :wink:

Howcome then, when I try to install Longhorn Reloaded, it BSOD when it says ''Setup is starting Windows''? I find it strange that it is called a ''SCSI'' device.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
You could grab the Chipset of your Toshiba's Motherboard and go to the makers website and see to find if there are any SATA/RAID Drivers on the Makers website.

You load them prior to installation of Windows.

Edit: And the SCSI part? Probably just Windows once again just thinking it's a SCSI Device, I have 2 drives (DVD Drive and External HDD) that XP keeps thinking are SCSI.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:50 pm 
FTP Access

I have an external USB floppy disk drive, so shall I get the drivers, put them on floppy and press F6 when prompted to load the drivers? But isn't there any way at all to integrate drivers into a WinPE? Oh, BTW, my laptop is a HP, not a Toshiba, it just uses a Toshiba HDD.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
squidward_ wrote:
I have an external USB floppy disk drive, so shall I get the drivers, put them on floppy and press F6 when prompted to load the drivers? But isn't there any way at all to integrate drivers into a WinPE? Oh, BTW, my laptop is a HP, not a Toshiba, it just uses a Toshiba HDD.

Yes, you could do that, and yes there is a way to integrate drivers into WinPEs, though remember you'd need to integrate it into the image too.

The nForce drivers are definitely integrated into my Repack of 3718, at least in the WIM. I'm unsure about whether they are in the WinPE though. As I've had no feedback on whether it worked with nForces, I can't say if it will work for certain though.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:42 pm 
FTP Access

And if I get Longhorn Protoplex working, will the NVIDIA Geforce Go 6100 be compatible with the effects where the windows spin and fade?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
squidward_ wrote:
And if I get Longhorn Protoplex working, will the NVIDIA Geforce Go 6100 be compatible with the effects where the windows spin and fade?
I think yes, i got the 3718's effects on lower nVidia's GPU from what i remember. You just need to find a good driver ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
FiFi wrote:
squidward_ wrote:
I think yes, i got the 3718's effects on lower nVidia's GPU from what i remember. You just need to find a good driver ;)

Yeh, I got them on an FX5200 if I remember correctly.

With 3718, the latest drivers for XP generally work fine too. I used the latest ATi Drivers with my x1650 Pro and I got the effects just fine.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:53 pm 
FTP Access

I thought that all the hardware in my laptop, especially the Nvidia components would be ''too new''. BTW, does anybody know if Connexant HD Audio and Broadcom Wireless B/G is compatible with Build 3718 of Longhorn? Its funny isn't how Build 4074 of Longhorn has a lot of compatibility issues with hardware, whereas Build 3718 has the same level of hardware/software compatibility as with XP, considering it was made in 2002 and Build 4074 made in 2004!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:48 pm 
Permanently Banned

squidward_ wrote:
I thought that all the hardware in my laptop, especially the Nvidia components would be ''too new''. BTW, does anybody know if Connexant HD Audio and Broadcom Wireless B/G is compatible with Build 3718 of Longhorn? Its funny isn't how Build 4074 of Longhorn has a lot of compatibility issues with hardware, whereas Build 3718 has the same level of hardware/software compatibility as with XP, considering it was made in 2002 and Build 4074 made in 2004!

The audio chip sounds like some lame AC97. If 3718 has compatibility with XP drivers, then it's a go.

Broadcom chipsets are way too common, and likely will work. Again, if 3718 has compat. with XP drivers, it's a go.

ADD: Realtek was known for putting out very crappy drivers for years for their AC97 chips, thus there are a few 3rd party drivers out there afaik that you could potentially try and use if you can't get it picked up by Windows and/or you can't get Connextant's driver to load.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:56 pm 
FTP Access

But wouldn't I also need to install the Microsoft HD driver as well?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:35 pm 
Donator

squidward_ wrote:
But wouldn't I also need to install the Microsoft HD driver as well?

Usually when that's necessary the hardware manufacturers or OEMs distribute the driver with theirs. Sometimes they don't and you need to install it on your own, but because Microsoft only distributes the Universal Audio Architecture to OEMs it's a bit hard to find. You'll want KB888111 if you need UAA installed. I don't have a clue whether or not it will work on Longhorn though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:02 pm 
FTP Access

But I was thinking maybe the sound card driver won't work without the HD audio controller driver from Microsoft, because it will rely on it entirely.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:28 pm 
Donator

AFAIK Microsoft has never released an "HD audio controller driver", just the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) which is required to install HD sound drivers. Any HD audio drivers need to have UAA installed before they will work. I think that's what you are talking about.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:18 am 
FTP Access

Sorry, I got a bit confused. Yes, I meant, Universal Audio Architecture (UAA). If I was to install the generic AC97 driver, would it work without this Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) driver?

BTW, speaking of my laptop's wireless card, my wireless network uses WPA encryption. Will Build 3718 of Longhorn support letting my laptop connecting to WPA encrypted networks?

Top  Profile  WWW