BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 5h, 39m | CPU: 34% | MEM: 6463MB of 11226MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: NitroOS        Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:44 pm 
Donator

Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
Hi all.. me and a friend are starting a OS called NitroOS. This OS was put into planning the day Ubuntu hit the world. It was originally called Unity Linux, but there were some copyright issues, so it is NitroOS :) . This hasn't been put into development as of yet, just a concept at this point. We need some ideas, and more people on the team.

More information:
http://theosshack.iforums.us/project-nitroos-vt13.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:52 pm 
Donator

Anything unique about it?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:56 pm 
Donator

Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
it will have WINE integrated, and a custom wallpaper and theme. and (hopefully) the kernel will be modified to say NitroOS 1.04 instead of Ubuntu 8.04. but im always up for suggestions :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:42 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Yo D, I already told these people

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4738

:P, If a mod or Andy could delete or lock this :P, thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:16 am 
Donator

I have to jump in here, and it has little to do with the actual project.

You can't copyright a name. A copyright is an exclusive right to copy a piece of work. For instance, you can copyright a drawing, a story, a piece of code... something copyable and something unique. You can NOT copyright a musical performance (because... you can't copy it), however, you can copyright a recording of a musical performance.

A name can be trademarked, however. Getting a trademark is a big deal. First and foremost, you have to start using a name before you can trademark it.

Secondly, when you trademark something, the name has to be distinguishable from any other trademarked names in that nature of business (This is why Apple computers was taken to court for creating iTunes, since Apple Corps owned the trademarked name "Apple" in the music distribution industry. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corp ... e_Computer)

Thirdly, you must pay to apply for a trademark (around $800 USD). If you are denied your initial application, your wait and your fees the next time around are quite substantial, so most sane people hire professionals to do trademark research so that the application gets through the first time.

I know this because I JUST got granted the trademark for "Really Good Software"

Anyone telling you that they own a "copyright" to the "Unity Linux" name is trying to sell you a bridge. Not only for the obvious examples explained above, but you will find that the only mention of anything to do with anything called "Unity Linux" comes out of Unity labs at North Carolina State University, where they have their own linux distro, and a few lab written tools:

http://www.ncsu.edu/it/essentials/conne ... index.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:40 am 
Donator

We aren't allowed to post in topics that haven't been replied to in over a month so this is fine, I think.

Anyway, PLEASE wait until 8.10 comes out and base it on that if you are going to do anything. Maybe they'll have fixed the sound and Flash issues by then. Plus, openoffice.org 3.0 will have RTM'd hopefully along with Flash 10.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:51 pm 
Permanently Banned

RentedMule wrote:
I have to jump in here, and it has little to do with the actual project.

You can't copyright a name. A copyright is an exclusive right to copy a piece of work. For instance, you can copyright a drawing, a story, a piece of code... something copyable and something unique. You can NOT copyright a musical performance (because... you can't copy it), however, you can copyright a recording of a musical performance.

A name can be trademarked, however. Getting a trademark is a big deal. First and foremost, you have to start using a name before you can trademark it.

Secondly, when you trademark something, the name has to be distinguishable from any other trademarked names in that nature of business (This is why Apple computers was taken to court for creating iTunes, since Apple Corps owned the trademarked name "Apple" in the music distribution industry. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corp ... e_Computer)

Thirdly, you must pay to apply for a trademark (around $800 USD). If you are denied your initial application, your wait and your fees the next time around are quite substantial, so most sane people hire professionals to do trademark research so that the application gets through the first time.

I know this because I JUST got granted the trademark for "Really Good Software"

Anyone telling you that they own a "copyright" to the "Unity Linux" name is trying to sell you a bridge. Not only for the obvious examples explained above, but you will find that the only mention of anything to do with anything called "Unity Linux" comes out of Unity labs at North Carolina State University, where they have their own linux distro, and a few lab written tools:

Well 11 year olds never relay messages right :D

Either way, as I have mentioned to the devs of this project, if they ever did any work, I would host their apt repos, and thus, I will stick by my word on that..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:45 pm 
FTP Access

RentedMule wrote:

And even the NCSU Linux distro is not very useful outside of the campus. IIRC, it's merely a modified Red Hat install. It's been a while since I looked at it (since I attend NCSU, I thought it might be interesting to install it).

Top  Profile