Edgy or Dapper

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
Panda X
Donator

Edgy or Dapper

Post by Panda X »

Should I get Dapper or Edgy of Ubuntu.
I'm thinking about Dapper because it has Long term support, but I would like to know what you think. Any tips, ideas, heads up.

Thanks for your help.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I'd use Edgy mainly because I like living on the "bleeding edge" when it comes to software, but also due to the better hardware support.

Sklasko

Post by Sklasko »

Dapper. Hands down. More stable. Firefox 2.0 fails when it comes to Linux, and Edgy packs itself with 2.0.

idontknow
FTP Access

Post by idontknow »

I tried both because I have a lot of time on my hands... and both are great. However, Edgy is (in my opinion) faster because it uses some sort of new loader at boot up called Upstart.

but don't install Dapper then upgrade I heard it will screw up the installation.

stuntmaster

Post by stuntmaster »

yeah edgy is faster i'll say that. firefox 2 aint too bad, works fine for me..
my only gripe is some of the sh installers on the net now dont work because of a certain number function has been changed so it now doesnt like installing certain things. try the UT GOTY installer for example.

other than that its perfect, my WinTV PCI-FM now works! woohoo, it didnt before in dapper.

netman85am
FTP Access

Post by netman85am »

i'd say dapper b/c of the fact that it will have LTS and u can get cds of it shipped 2 u

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Topic closed, older than 1 month.