BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 15h, 51m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 1996MB of 4597MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: *.msc files hacking        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:52 am 
Hailz
i wanted to ask if there is any way to hack msc files.
I'm working on a project to trasform windows vista desktop to KDE 4 and replace most of vista's icons

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:10 am 
FTP Access

Why not just use IconPackager or Reshack/Microangelo whatever dll files it is Vista's using for shell icons? Or, just wait till the KDE on Windows Project ports it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: *.msc files hacking        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
doomangel wrote:
Hailz
i wanted to ask if there is any way to hack msc files.
I'm working on a project to trasform windows vista desktop to KDE 4 and replace most of vista's icons

your question is a bit misleading..

*.msc files are just so called snap-ins for the Microsoft Management Console ( MMC.exe , introduced widely in Windows 2000, although mmc is also available for Win 9x ), a universal application which can contain as many snap-ins as one likes to have, whenever your mmc contains what you want to have in it, you simply save the result as example.msc.

Each time you launch directly a *.msc by the run command, you really start mmc.exe which then loads the snap-ins defined in the msc file.

So you ask how to "hack" ?

As I told you, you can author any predefined msc by just launching the empty MMC.exe and then load the mscs, and tinker with the content, if that is what you call hacking ...

If you just ask for the icons - they reside typically in shell32.dll,explorer.exe,mmc.exe and the usual locations, nothing special.
:^)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:48 pm 
so the word may be wrong, should i add res and make it rershack?
anyway, i fully rershacked imageres.dll, explorer.exe , msc.exe. what i didn't looked was shell32.dll. thanx for your help anyway