BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 54d, 22h, 12m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5853MB of 10542MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Custom DOS Operating System        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Hello, I am writing a shell to MS-DOS that so far stinks. It is only 640x480x16 colors, but it is around 1/10 of a megabyte. I want to bundle this with some sort of DOS. I am kind of feature incomplete at the moment, so does anybody hav any suggesstions? i hav an early build of it online at http://mayos.vze.com/

If you hav an external application to suggest, i hpoe for it to be open source or hav a developer i could contact for permission to bundle it with.

I also hav another OS planned, that bundles Fusion 3.0, FreeDOS, and it allows Mac OS 7.5.3 to run on ordinary x86 pcs, given that the person who wants 2 use it has a ROM image.[/url]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:05 pm 
Cool.

Might I ask what Fusion 3.0 is? There are a lot of things out there that use the name "Fusion". :P

Will your custom DOS come with a toolchain for compiling? If not, might I suggest DJGPP, which is a port of GCC to DOS.

Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions, but for your Mac OS support, I'm guessing you'll be bundling Basilisk II?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
fusion is a freeware mac emulator, and the only thing i will require ppl 2 include is their own rom, unless sum1 wants 2 b illegal and bundle 1 themselves, but i dont think thats a good idea, lol. thanks 4 the suggestions, btw. ill look into all of them

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Custom DOS Operating System        Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:02 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Hmmm... maybe you could send it to me and then I could try to bundle it into my MS-DOS 6.40 (my custom DOS version, based on MS-DOS 6.22). What do you think? ;)

benny1091 wrote:
Hello, I am writing a shell to MS-DOS that so far stinks. It is only 640x480x16 colors, but it is around 1/10 of a megabyte. I want to bundle this with some sort of DOS. I am kind of feature incomplete at the moment, so does anybody hav any suggesstions? i hav an early build of it online at http://mayos.vze.com/

If you hav an external application to suggest, i hpoe for it to be open source or hav a developer i could contact for permission to bundle it with.

I also hav another OS planned, that bundles Fusion 3.0, FreeDOS, and it allows Mac OS 7.5.3 to run on ordinary x86 pcs, given that the person who wants 2 use it has a ROM image.[/url]

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Custom DOS Operating System        Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:32 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
benny1091 wrote:

Does it also fly and cook my toast?
--------- :wink:

Can you elaborate on what you want from this shell and what kind of new functionality you need from DOS? (or are you looking for branding???)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
sorry about not replying and talkin about a miracle operating system, lol. that would be a great idea, bundlin it with DOS 6.4. Ill send u the files when i finish the first version of it. The shell to is meant to make older computers more usable, that is all. it adds a GUI to most DOS functions, almost like Windows 3.1. I stopped development temporarily. It wasnt very advanced, and any1 could hav written it. i have just finished a bootable version of it. i will post a link to the download later. The bootable version contains an installer and it sys c: the drive upon finishing, so do not install on a needed computer.

Top  Profile