Longhorn Rebuilding

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
Beta_Vistaglass
FTP Access

Longhorn Rebuilding

Post by Beta_Vistaglass »

Hello! I want to create my own distributive of Windows Longhorn: rebuild Installator, bootscreen, logon, enable DWM, delete timebomb, integrate soft.

Could you advise me what programs should I have?

Daniel
Staff

Post by Daniel »

If you want to replace the bootscreen, logon etc, you should use a resource hacker (for example PE Explorer). To slipstream applications you might use nLite, but I am not sure whether it supports Longhorn, but probably it will work with the early builds. How to enable DWM depends on the build which you are using, and also removing the timebmb.

Beta_Vistaglass
FTP Access

Daniel wrote:If you want to replace the bootscreen, logon etc, you should use a resource hacker (for example PE Explorer). To slipstream applications you might use nLite, but I am not sure whether it supports Longhorn, but probably it will work with the early builds. How to enable DWM depends on the build which you are using, and also removing the timebmb.
I want to repack LH 4074
nLite doesn't support it
Should I use PE Explorer for ISO, Installation files or system folder?

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

Beta_Vistaglass wrote:
Daniel wrote:If you want to replace the bootscreen, logon etc, you should use a resource hacker (for example PE Explorer). To slipstream applications you might use nLite, but I am not sure whether it supports Longhorn, but probably it will work with the early builds. How to enable DWM depends on the build which you are using, and also removing the timebmb.
I want to repack LH 4074
nLite doesn't support it
Should I use PE Explorer for ISO, Installation files or system folder?
It's WIM install and you should use XImage (ImageX? what's the difference?) build 4059 to repack it.

Daniel
Staff

Post by Daniel »

Yeah, for repacking it you should use ImageX, but if you want to edit things like the bootscreen, you need a Resource Hacker (e.g. PE Editior).

@FiFi: Both is the same, but XImage was renamed to ImageX (i think at build 5384)

Beta_Vistaglass
FTP Access

Thank you very much!!! =))

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

And btw, looking on the projects about fixing Longhorn, they always fail (Longhorn Reloaded, Longhorn08, Longhorn Final), or are nothing really special (Longhorn R2, Longhorn Ultra). So i think it may be just pointless to fix 4074 one time again. IMO, if we want the Longhorn to be like Longhorn we need to start a project on a stable OS... And i'm not talking about Vista that i find just... crap. But, hell, why not XP or 2k3?

IceMan09

Post by IceMan09 »

Meaby on Vista Litle? I have Vista Ultimate SP1 on 1 CD, after instaling he take 300MB of ram.
XP + Vista:

Beta_Vistaglass
FTP Access

FiFi wrote:And btw, looking on the projects about fixing Longhorn, they always fail (Longhorn Reloaded, Longhorn08, Longhorn Final), or are nothing really special (Longhorn R2, Longhorn Ultra). So i think it may be just pointless to fix 4074 one time again. IMO, if we want the Longhorn to be like Longhorn we need to start a project on a stable OS... And i'm not talking about Vista that i find just... crap. But, hell, why not XP or 2k3?
I agree, it's better, but final OS will be not Longhorn, but XP or 2003!

IceMan09

Post by IceMan09 »

Final OS is stable and support all hadware, no memory lake. I think Vista litle will by good.

Beta_Vistaglass
FTP Access

If I'll rebuild WinXP SP2, what should I start with?

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

Beta_Vistaglass wrote:
FiFi wrote:And btw, looking on the projects about fixing Longhorn, they always fail (Longhorn Reloaded, Longhorn08, Longhorn Final), or are nothing really special (Longhorn R2, Longhorn Ultra). So i think it may be just pointless to fix 4074 one time again. IMO, if we want the Longhorn to be like Longhorn we need to start a project on a stable OS... And i'm not talking about Vista that i find just... crap. But, hell, why not XP or 2k3?
I agree, it's better, but final OS will be not Longhorn, but XP or 2003!
What was Longhorn at start? Nothing else than Server 2003 beta build 3663...
It will be XP at start, but may become our own Longhorn in the end...

EDIT:
Beta_Vistaglass wrote:If I'll rebuild WinXP SP2, what should I start with?
See what Longhorn and its concepts have and what do you want to port...
1. Visual styles
2. Aero
3. Sidebar
4. WinFS (may cause more problems than use tbh)
5. Aurora
6. PPA
7. Phodeo
8. 3DView

Those 8 to start with...

Beta_Vistaglass
FTP Access

Thank you!
And, could you write full list of libraries, feachures, soft, that I should include into XP to make it LH?

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

Beta_Vistaglass wrote:Thank you!
And, could you write full list of libraries, feachures, soft, that I should include into XP to make it LH?
You can use Style Builder for rebuilding LH's visual styles.
There are few applications emulating Aero\Transparent borders effect. IMO the best is TrueTransparency. It doesn't offer blur but is the most stable one. Just make a Longhorn-like skin...
For sidebar you will have to use the one from Vista or make your own.
WinFS beta 1 is lying somewhere on BA's servers.
Try to compile 4050's Aurora XAML or try to ask Stanimir Stoyanov from AeroXP for it.
PPA will be pain in ass, it wasn't done even in Longhorn. We have XAMLs for it though, and i already have a concept how to do this but i'm not sure will it work...
I have no idea about Phodeo and 3DView, maybe you could use Halos source for making a decent app, but you have to be great coder to get it working...

I think i can help you with this project if you want... I already made a style for TrueTransparency...

Beta_Vistaglass
FTP Access

OK, Thank you!
My ICQ is 7761063. If you want, you may work with us!

BlackHawk

Post by BlackHawk »

I am also interested if XP themes can run on LH 4074,or any other theme from LH on this build?

squidward_
FTP Access

Post by squidward_ »

Some things will be either almost impossible or actually impossible to port. However, if you need any help, PM me, and I will gladly help!