BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 11h, 45m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5745MB of 10984MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows XP SP3 customization issue        Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:18 am 
FTP Access

I have tried to make a customized version of Windows XP Pro and first, I slipstreamed sp3, then customized the files, shell32.dll, explorer.exe etc.... The installation went fine all the way upto the point where it asked for my product key. For some reason, it won't accept my product key, and when I tried to do skip entering a product key, it still wouldn't let me proceed. The product key can't have been blacklisted because when I validated it online when I had sp2, which was 2 days ago, it validated without issue. I tried validating again today with the sp2 installation of XP on a real machine, and it validated again perfectly. I'm using a retail copy, not volume license and testing the slipstreamed sp3 in Virtual PC 2007. Any help please?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP SP3 customization issue        Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
squidward_ wrote:
I have tried to make a customized version of Windows XP Pro and first, I slipstreamed sp3, then customized the files, shell32.dll, explorer.exe etc.... The installation went fine all the way upto the point where it asked for my product key. For some reason, it won't accept my product key, and when I tried to do skip entering a product key, it still wouldn't let me proceed. The product key can't have been blacklisted because when I validated it online when I had sp2, which was 2 days ago, it validated without issue. I tried validating again today with the sp2 installation of XP on a real machine, and it validated again perfectly. I'm using a retail copy, not volume license and testing the slipstreamed sp3 in Virtual PC 2007. Any help please?

Have you tried using a non-slipstreamed XP SP3 ISO?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:35 pm 
FTP Access

Well, I had a Windows XP Professional SP2 disc, and I slipstreamed SP3, expanded the files like shell32.dll etc, then customized them and recompresed them using makecab. The product key which is.... (Sorry, not telling here!) was accepted when sp2 was slipstreamed, now with sp3 slipstreamed it hates my product key and won't even let me skip entering the product key despise the fact I have a retail copy of XP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:12 pm 
Donator

It's a bug...the only thing you can do is install XP SP2 then install SP3.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:53 pm 
FTP Access

Did you do the slipstreaming from a Vista machine? I think the bug is that you have to do it from XP otherwise the product key doesn't work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Well, I suggested that he gets a copy of XP SP3 that hasn't had the SP3 slipstreamed in, but provided by MS like that. I'm sure it would be OK to download such an ISO as long as you have a genuine key, if you could find it, though they are quite rare, most copies at the moment are slipstreamed ones.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:34 pm 
FTP Access

Oh yes, I did do it from Vista. I'll try it from XP to see what happens.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:31 am 
FTP Access

There's some more info on it here - apparently if you use compatibility mode in Vista and set it to XP when doing the slipstreaming it will work (in the comments on that page).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:13 am 
FTP Access

Thankyou! Please can someone lock this topic as I am happy now!

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]