BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 19h, 28m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5632MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Customized Windows Longhorn Build 3718        Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:19 pm 
FTP Access

Hello everyone, I just posted this topic to ask your opinion on something. I have an old Longhorn 3718 iso lying around, and I was going to modify the files in it, like with my custom Windows XP project. Because I now have a list of what files I need to modify to make it all look Windows Vista, shell32.dll, explorer.exe, notepad.exe, mspaint.exe, etc, I was ondering wether or not it would be worth doing this to the files in LH 3718 to make it look a bit like Vista. In case you are wondering why this build, its just that I have read that Longhorn Build 3718 has a good reputation for beign very stable.

Any comments and critisism welcome!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Customized Windows Longhorn Build 3718        Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Well, first, quite a few things change between XP and 3718, so customising the build isn't as easy as you think. You have the whole sidebar and taskbar, which has its own crippling limitations, in imageres, and the msstyle format is different.

However, the most concerning thing for me is making Longhorn look like Vista... Just my personal opinion, but why? If you want Vista, there is nothing better than getting the real thing, since Vista would be much more secure and stable, even if 3718 is pretty good in that last respect, its still an alpha, and DCE is fairly unstable.

Not to mention the fact that I'd prefer the 3718 look to standard vista.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:26 pm 
FTP Access

Well, over at JoeJoe, I noticed someone made their own customized version of Longhorn 3718 by modifying the icons so that they would be Vista-like, and added new wallpapers, etc. I do not intend to edit the sidebar, and the reason why I want to customize this build, its because it looks mostly like XP, but with a lot of enhanchments and has a lot of compatibility, like I said I heard of before, like in XP. I think that this build looks good enough to justify dual-booting with Windows Vista.

One final thing: Yes, I also prefer the 3718 look to standard vista in some ways. Thankyou for telling me! :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
squidward_ wrote:
Well, over at JoeJoe, I noticed someone made their own customized version of Longhorn 3718 by modifying the icons so that they would be Vista-like, and added new wallpapers, etc.

protoPlex? I used the Vista Beta 1 icons for that ;)

Reminds me, I really should get to work on that again, maybe this 'spring' holiday coming up :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:17 pm 
FTP Access

OK the, but if you do any projects like that again, please let me know, and I will gladly be a beta tester, and tell you if there are any bugs, and I might try to do anything, (if possible) to tweak/optimise everything! Hows does that sound?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
hounsell wrote:
squidward_ wrote:
Well, over at JoeJoe, I noticed someone made their own customized version of Longhorn 3718 by modifying the icons so that they would be Vista-like, and added new wallpapers, etc.

protoPlex? I used the Vista Beta 1 icons for that ;)

Reminds me, I really should get to work on that again, maybe this 'spring' holiday coming up :P

A bit of topic, but you didnt have spring holiday yet? i had it 3 weeks ago, we have in a few weeks ''May'' holiday, a 2 week vacation.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
DjRob wrote:
A bit of topic, but you didnt have spring holiday yet? i had it 3 weeks ago, we have in a few weeks ''May'' holiday, a 2 week vacation.

No, we had a few days off for easter, but we had to go back to school :(

It 2 weeks starting 7th April for me :)

Top  Profile  WWW