IRIX emulation on MAME

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
warezit2000
FTP Access

IRIX emulation on MAME

Post by warezit2000 »

As of MAME 0.207 enough of the SGI platform emulation has been implemented to make it is possible to install and run IRIX. There are guides online for installing IRIX 5.3 and for using a prebuild IRIX 6.2 image. I've tested both and it does indeed work, albeit *very* slowly compared to the real thing (although once it's all booted up the system is almost usable).

gtgamer468
FTP Access

Re: IRIX emulation on MAME

Post by gtgamer468 »

You mean MAME as in the arcade/retro gaming emulator?

warezit2000
FTP Access

Post by warezit2000 »

Yep, nowadays MAME emulates a lot of non-gaming systems too, including some pretty interesting workstation platforms like HP PA-RISC, Apollo, and now SGI as well.

gtgamer468
FTP Access

Post by gtgamer468 »

I'm in complete shock. :OD I've never heard about MAME being used for emulating non-gaming purposes. Wow, guess MAME is far more powerful than I've thought.

louisw3
FTP Access

Post by louisw3 »

gtgamer468 wrote:I'm in complete shock. :OD I've never heard about MAME being used for emulating non-gaming purposes. Wow, guess MAME is far more powerful than I've thought.
System emulation started as MESS, and was absorbed back into mame some years ago.
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

willers

Post by willers »

MAME64 0217 has support for IRIX. You need the ROMs and BOOT disk. However, I have been able to boot the system but not been able to install the OS

MrFreeman
FTP Access

Post by MrFreeman »

willers wrote:MAME64 0217 has support for IRIX. You need the ROMs and BOOT disk. However, I have been able to boot the system but not been able to install the OS
same situation here
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

There is a thread on the official forum which has OS installation instructions for some systems in MAME, and it includes IRIX.

It's basically the same as installing it on real hardware, so you could take the official SGI documentation and follow that, too.

(The OS CDs can be found on BA and on archive.org)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA