BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 15d, 22h, 22m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 5405MB of 11686MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:38 am 
> I realize that I may be replying to some very old posts here.

If you want a lightweight version of Ubuntu, try Lubuntu. It's basically the Ubuntu base with LXDE as the desktop environment, and can run easily on older systems, such as that Dell Optiplex with 128MB RAM and Windows XP you sometimes see in libraries or relatives' houses.

I personally use it on my Linux VM since it offers the best performance out of all Ubuntu distributions-- although that's probably partially due to the fact I'm used to LXDE, since the first actual Linux computer I used was a Raspberry Pi (I had only used Linux VMs before), and they came with LXDE as the default desktop environment when I bought mine.

Similarly, a version of Ubuntu exists called Xubuntu if Xfce is more your thing.

PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 am 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
In 1980s, I was mainframe user with DECsystem10 and VAX systems through my college life. I have good knowledge with VMS, Ultrix and TOPS-10 operating systems. I am more interested with UNIX system because it is more easy to write programs than other OSes. I started with Ultrix system with Internet access on VAX system while I was student.

In mid 1990s, I started with Slackware distros on PC desktops. I downloaded disk images and initialized 50+ blank diskettes!! That took several hours to complete. Later I bought CD-ROM writer for my PC, that was much easier and faster to burn ISO images than blank diskettes!

Later I finally switched to Redhat and SUSE to replace slackware to save a lot of my time to make diskettes every release. Today I am using Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora Core, FreeBSD and NetBSD. I use Ubuntu as primary OS for general purposes and programming.

I recommend Ubuntu for Linux system and FreeBSD or TrueOS for BSD system.

There are many different kinds of Ubuntu distros. That's why I prefer Ubuntu over other Linux distros.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:53 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
3.11 WfW, 98SE, 5.1.2464, LH4001
Sword7 wrote:
There are many different kinds of Ubuntu distros. That's why I prefer Ubuntu over other Linux distros.

But I can say exactly the same about Debian, live versions are in 6 flavours: Gnome, KDE, LXDE, XFCE, Cinnamon and MATE – Ubuntu doesn't even have Cinnamon version. They haven't given up with i386, which can be sometimes useful. Most importantly, it's considered more stable than Ubuntu (which is a flavour of Debian itself). Why ubuntu then?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:32 pm 
Donator

Who needs flavors when you have a package manager that you can use to install many great desktop environments by just typing a single command?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:31 pm 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
oscareczek wrote:
Sword7 wrote:

But I can say exactly the same about Debian, live versions are in 6 flavours: Gnome, KDE, LXDE, XFCE, Cinnamon and MATE – Ubuntu doesn't even have Cinnamon version. They haven't given up with i386, which can be sometimes useful. Most importantly, it's considered more stable than Ubuntu (which is a flavour of Debian itself). Why ubuntu then?

Yes, that is right. I know that. Ubuntu offers cinnamon version by installing desktop environment on shell prompt after installation. You can switch between desktop versions at login screen. Ubuntu is based on Debian. Linux Mint offer Cinnamon desktop and based on Ubuntu. I prefer x64 version for full memory access above 4 GB.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:33 pm 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
AlphaBeta wrote:
Who needs flavors when you have a package manager that you can use to install many great desktop environments by just typing a single command?

Yes, Ubuntu supports multi-flavors by installing additional desktop environment and switch between desktop versions at login screen.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
3.11 WfW, 98SE, 5.1.2464, LH4001
So then, what is the real reason you prefer ubuntu?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:05 pm 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
oscareczek wrote:

You can google 'Debian vs Ubuntu' for more information. Both are very similar but some differences. Ubuntu offers PPAs (personal package archives) for individual developers but Debian do not have. Also Ubuntu is better for beginners and more user friendliness and corporate feel but Ubuntu is less stable than Debian. I am using both as current. That's why I prefer Ubuntu for additional PPA software packages from some developers for auto updates but many developers offer latest deb packages for both. That is up to you for choosing Debian or Ubuntu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:39 pm 
Donator

Sword7 wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:

Yes, Ubuntu supports multi-flavors by installing additional desktop environment and switch between desktop versions at login screen.

Pretty much every distro supports that. Switching between session configurations is a desktop manager thing, so that is not really a operating system feature.

Sword7 wrote:
oscareczek wrote:

You can google 'Debian vs Ubuntu' for more information. Both are very similar but some differences. Ubuntu offers PPAs (personal package archives) for individual developers but Debian do not have. Also Ubuntu is better for beginners and more user friendliness and corporate feel but Ubuntu is less stable than Debian. I am using both as current. That's why I prefer Ubuntu for additional PPA software packages from some developers for auto updates but many developers offer latest deb packages for both. That is up to you for choosing Debian or Ubuntu.

Ubuntu's PPA system is not bad if you want to use some applications not found in the official repositories and still want to enjoy the advantages of using a package manager. However, I am not very fond of using PPAs for installing cutting edge versions of desktop environments - you might as well install a rolling release distro if you feel the urge to run the latest Gnome and/or Plasma as soon as it gets released.

I prefer the Arch's AUR system for a couple of reasons, mainly because unlike PPAs where you need to add an entire repository from which you then install some packages, in AUR you deal directly with the packages, which can of course depend on another AUR or official repo packages. It feels much more integrated and united than PPAs, where the developer pretty much has to include everything not in the official Ubuntu repositories, which can lead to package conflicts where more PPAs offer mutually incompatible versions of the same package. On the other side, unlike PPAs which distribute already compiled packages, the AUR only distributes the metadata ("pkgbuild") that is required to create the package, which includes the location of source files, the actions to be done and of course information about the package and that is then processed by the "makepkg" utility, which automatically downloads the files, installs any dependencies, executes the actions and creates the package in one go. It still requires you to download this "pkgbuild" file and create the package (which some custom package manager wrappers do even automatically), compared to adding the PPA to apt. Both have their advantages.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:06 pm 

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
Arch and i3 is a very nice combo for single monitor setups and lightweight PCs, as long as you spend some time ricing it and getting a nice customized theme. pacman drives me a little crazy sometimes, but having access to the AUR is worth it. Usually.
If you've got multi monitors (2 or more) than you can't beat Gnome 3 in terms of workflow. When you wanna multitask, that's where it's at. My favorite noobie Linux is Manjaro with Gnome. It just works so well. The GUI tools for kernel updates and such can be really nice for a new user.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:09 pm 
FTP Access

Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 (nostalgia)
Ubuntu, Sabayon (Gentoo based), Debian, Fedora, Arch Linux, Manjaro, and openSUSE.

\ !oYo!
\ /./=\.\______
## )\/\
||-----w||
|| ||

Cowth Vader

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:45 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 SP5
I am running openSUSE for years and really like it. I use FVWM as window manager and prefer the Leap version over the Tumbleweed one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:57 pm 
FTP Access

Slackware was my first Linux (0.98). Then I switched to SuSE - as I had no real internet connectivity and the whole SuSE on 6CDs gave me all important packages. Then I moved to Debian and currently use:

- debian as the server platform
- debian or kubuntu on workstations (and MacOS on the most often used laptop)
- kali linux (debian based) for security-related work
- raspbian on RPi
- IRIX on SGI machines :-)

In the meanwhile, I've used many other distros (redhat, PLD linux), but I'm always going back to vanilla Debian - stable, doesn't try to be smarter than you, no surprises included.

Best,
Lukasz

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:48 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Debian; i heard it is very lightweight and uses only around 200-300 mb ram idle.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Your Linux/BSD distribution and recommendations?        Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:46 pm 
FTP Access

Debian testing all the way. It is very stable, despite the "testing" tag. I liked Arch for a good while but just not for production - the rolling updates broke things on ocassion and I had to spend time rolling back. Never had any problem with Debian, and it allows me to tinker with the things I need to. But many do, so these days is all a matter of personal taste and suitability for your use case.

Top  Profile