BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 1h, 9m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 5337MB of 11537MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: NextSTEP or OPENSTEP on VMWare - ready-to-run VMs?        Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:51 pm 
FTP Access

I have just spent some hours trying to get OPENSTEP running in VMWare Fusion on my Mac. The OS setup works, but then I am running into problems: the display drivers for VMWare (on github) don't work on my installation, the sound drivers referred to in a guide I found don't exist anymore. And so on.

I have tried to find existing VMs for VMWare to download, but no success. But since OPENSTEP itself is available for free, there should not be any legal problems to do so? I did not find anything like that in our ftp area either.

Could anybody give me a hint where I could get a ready-to-run VM for VMWare (that's important, because the driver issues are mostly linked to the virtualisation software used)?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: NextSTEP or OPENSTEP on VMWare - ready-to-run VMs?        Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:51 pm 
FTP Access

Replying to myself: I invested another couple of hours (in particular: installed from the scratch using slightly different drivers) and got out a VM that is not perfect but usable:
  • Screen resolution up to 1280x768
  • Static network configuration (in /etc/hostconfig) without Netinfo
  • Mouse driver that works
  • No sound
  • Some essential software (bash as the default user's login shell, ssh and sshd, OmniWeb)
  • Development tools (InterfaceBuilder, examples, ...)

Here's a screenshot:

In order to spare others the hassle I'd be willing to share the VM on the ftp server, but I am not quite sure about the license situation and would hence like to have one of the admins' blessing before doing that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: NextSTEP or OPENSTEP on VMWare - ready-to-run VMs?        Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
IBM OS/2 2.11
I've had good luck with VirtualBox as well. I've gotten it to go up to 1200x1600 resolution, and it also has sound. The downside is that I can't get the network to work, and the mouse acceleration is wonky.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NextSTEP or OPENSTEP on VMWare - ready-to-run VMs?        Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 am 
FTP Access

There is a mouse driver for OPENSTEP on VMWare, not sure if this would help?
Concerning the network - is it the device not supported or getting network set up afterwards?

Top  Profile  WWW