NextSTEP or OPENSTEP on VMWare - ready-to-run VMs?

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
hmd
FTP Access

NextSTEP or OPENSTEP on VMWare - ready-to-run VMs?

Post by hmd »

I have just spent some hours trying to get OPENSTEP running in VMWare Fusion on my Mac. The OS setup works, but then I am running into problems: the display drivers for VMWare (on github) don't work on my installation, the sound drivers referred to in a guide I found don't exist anymore. And so on.

I have tried to find existing VMs for VMWare to download, but no success. But since OPENSTEP itself is available for free, there should not be any legal problems to do so? I did not find anything like that in our ftp area either.

Could anybody give me a hint where I could get a ready-to-run VM for VMWare (that's important, because the driver issues are mostly linked to the virtualisation software used)?
“The only ‘intuitive’ interface is the nipple. After that, it’s all learned.” Bruce Ediger

hmd
FTP Access

Re: NextSTEP or OPENSTEP on VMWare - ready-to-run VMs?

Post by hmd »

Replying to myself: I invested another couple of hours (in particular: installed from the scratch using slightly different drivers) and got out a VM that is not perfect but usable:
  • Screen resolution up to 1280x768
  • Static network configuration (in /etc/hostconfig) without Netinfo
  • Mouse driver that works
  • No sound
  • Some essential software (bash as the default user's login shell, ssh and sshd, OmniWeb)
  • Development tools (InterfaceBuilder, examples, ...)
Here's a screenshot:

In order to spare others the hassle I'd be willing to share the VM on the ftp server, but I am not quite sure about the license situation and would hence like to have one of the admins' blessing before doing that.
“The only ‘intuitive’ interface is the nipple. After that, it’s all learned.” Bruce Ediger

thunderbird32
FTP Access

Post by thunderbird32 »

I've had good luck with VirtualBox as well. I've gotten it to go up to 1200x1600 resolution, and it also has sound. The downside is that I can't get the network to work, and the mouse acceleration is wonky.

hmd
FTP Access

Post by hmd »

There is a mouse driver for OPENSTEP on VMWare, not sure if this would help?
Concerning the network - is it the device not supported or getting network set up afterwards?