BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 72d, 14h, 9m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 6291MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Read A/UX 400K Floppies From MS-DOS Floppy Drive?        Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:35 am 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu 16.04
I have 9 single-sided 400k A/UX floppies with source code from the late 80's that I created from a Mac II running A/UX. That computer died in the mid 90s and several years ago, I finally gave it away with a huge collection of floppies except for these disks with my programs from my undergrad CS classes. I'm now running Ubuntu on a computer I built in 2008 with a floppy drive (that I assume is MS-DOS since it can read Windows and DOS HD floppies), and am about to pull the floppy drive and give it away along with a large collection of floppy disks and other old computers. However, I'd like to save this old source code to a USB thumb drives for my archive. Short of finding someone with a working A/UX Macintosh to read the disks and e-mail me the source code, is there any sort of emulator that could read the A/UX floppy I/O format from my floppy drive?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Read A/UX 400K Floppies From MS-DOS Floppy Drive?        Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:57 pm 
Administrator

Unfortunately not. The PC floppy controller is incapable of reading these floppies, just as they are incapable of reading Mac 400K floppies. What you need is a vintage Mac or an external device such as a Kryoflux to dump the floppy and then extract it.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Read A/UX 400K Floppies From MS-DOS Floppy Drive?        Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Exactly. You need a Kryoflux (or similar device) to dump these.

That being said, there is a DOS tool called disk2fdi which can use some tricks of the PC FDC to actually read the raw data from a floppy, even from floppies that are not DOS formatted (like Amiga, Apple, etc.). It requires 2 "real" floppy disk drives though (not USB) and works by telling the FDC to read a track from a DOS formatted disk in drive 1 and then quickly switches the FDC over to the second drive. This makes the FDC report the track data it finds on the second floppy, no matter how it is formatted.

It's quite tricky and it doesn't work with all FDCs. The older, the better (generally most FDCs integrated in a chipset will probably not work). Also, the resulting image is not always guaranteed to be correct (it is an undocumented trick after all)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Read A/UX 400K Floppies From MS-DOS Floppy Drive?        Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Lisa wrote:
I have 9 single-sided 400k A/UX floppies with source code from the late 80's that I created from a Mac II running A/UX. That computer died in the mid 90s and several years ago, I finally gave it away with a huge collection of floppies except for these disks with my programs from my undergrad CS classes. I'm now running Ubuntu on a computer I built in 2008 with a floppy drive (that I assume is MS-DOS since it can read Windows and DOS HD floppies), and am about to pull the floppy drive and give it away along with a large collection of floppy disks and other old computers. However, I'd like to save this old source code to a USB thumb drives for my archive. Short of finding someone with a working A/UX Macintosh to read the disks and e-mail me the source code, is there any sort of emulator that could read the A/UX floppy I/O format from my floppy drive?

Also, why do you want to give away the computer's internal floppy drive?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Read A/UX 400K Floppies From MS-DOS Floppy Drive?        Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:09 pm 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu 16.04
whistler2250 wrote:
Lisa wrote:

Also, why do you want to give away the computer's internal floppy drive?

I'm getting rid of all my floppies and saving data to USB thumb drives since they store so much more and only require a USB slot.

I decided I'm not going to bother trying to save that old source code.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Read A/UX 400K Floppies From MS-DOS Floppy Drive?        Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:12 am 
Administrator

Why don't you send the floppy (and any other floppies) to one of our members (like me) with a Kryoflux and we can dump the floppy for you.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Read A/UX 400K Floppies From MS-DOS Floppy Drive?        Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
CentOS
Those of us with KryoFlux devices are scattered across the world, so hopefully at least one of us should be somewhat close to you. If shipping to the USA is cheaper, I would be willing to help with this recovery effort also.

Top  Profile